Intent to confuse

I get it. If you shout your name, it's not confusing.
I never found it confusing in the years I played there, and best I could tell nobody else did either. We were only playing the game mind, not watching from the sidelines.

I do find it confusing when watching a game when I hear, "mine", "got it", "leave it" etc., and fail to understand how that's not distracting and sometimes purposely so for players on the field.

I never found it confusing in the years I played there, and best I could tell nobody else did either. We were only playing the game mind, not watching from the sidelines.

I do find it confusing when watching a game when I hear, "mine", "got it", "leave it" etc., and fail to understand how that's not distracting and sometimes purposely so for players on the field.

If someone hadd just shouted "Squirrel!" would that have confused you?

Curious country.

When I was a kid, we had nicknames like Butch or Red or Skinny and even Squirrel.
If you shouted "Squirrel's Ball", you'd get away with it, but not "Squirrel".

The protocol (never explained, it just was) was "name + Ball", except for the GK who would just shout "Keeper" (never "Keep") - understandable as there's rarely two GKs in a box at the same time obv.

botz99..... I have heard of this but not seen it called....... drop ball seems correct (if he thought she was not playing the ball, but she was lol) but I have not checked the laws........
I don't get it why you're saying "drop ball seems correct" if a goalie got a yellow card. Should it be indirect free kick awarded to opposite team?

I don't get it why you're saying "drop ball seems correct" if a goalie got a yellow card. Should it be indirect free kick awarded to opposite team?

Did you miss the part where I said I didn’t check the laws? :)

I think a yellow card is issued without a freekick for goalie time wasting so I was thinking it may be the same.....but I don’t know for sure but it seems over officious to me to make the call the referee made......

Did you miss the part where I said I didn’t check the laws? :)

I think a yellow card is issued without a freekick for goalie time wasting so I was thinking it may be the same.....but I don’t know for sure but it seems over officious to me to make the call the referee made......
I agree with you about the call. One thing when a field player screams at opposite player to confuse him/her and another thing when a goalie screams to let know his defenders that he is going for the ball. And at that moment I don't see any differences if goalie scream me or keeper or mine. And I don't see what confusion it will be for an attacker.
BTW, I looked at the laws. One of the characteristic of Unsporting behavior is "Verbally distracts an opponent during play or at a restart". And, I guess it's up to referee to decide what's a distraction. I guess for some referees a single sound means a a distraction.

I agree with you about the call. One thing when a field player screams at opposite player to confuse him/her and another thing when a goalie screams to let know his defenders that he is going for the ball. And at that moment I don't see any differences if goalie scream me or keeper or mine. And I don't see what confusion it will be for an attacker.
BTW, I looked at the laws. One of the characteristic of Unsporting behavior is "Verbally distracts an opponent during play or at a restart". And, I guess it's up to referee to decide what's a distraction. I guess for some referees a single sound means a a distraction.

You are misreading that section of the laws. The first list is a list where a caution can be issued which just include the missive "unsporting behavior". The second list is a list of unsporting behavior for which a card MUST be issued. It is illustrative and does not contain the full list of anything in the universe which is considered unsporting behavior. And as mentioned previously, there is an unspoken tradition in soccer (an unwritten rule similar to the unwritten rules [it's actually in some guidance which sometimes appears and sometimes disappears from the rules] that refs should not call fouls in a way that disrupts the flow of the game) that you don't call "mine" or "I got it" in soccer. If the ref thinks the opponent was distracted, he must, without discretion, issue a card and restart with an IDK. Otherwise, it's whether the ref thinks there's been unsporting behavior, which like other things in the laws is within the ref's discretion.

I see. So, what I have said is in opposite order? If a player "Verbally distracts an opponent during play or at a restart" then referee should card the player for Unsporting behavior. But, still, it's at referee discretion to decide if distraction happened, correct? So, what is an unwritten rule/unspoken tradition in soccer (not to call "mine" or "I got it"). That's where I am lost. Does it mean that some referees will call it regardless what the situation is since there is a rule for not saying "mine" or "I got it" and I still can't find any specifics regarding what words can or can not be used. I am just curios. Anyone can clarify, pls.

I see. So, what I have said is in opposite order? If a player "Verbally distracts an opponent during play or at a restart" then referee should card the player for Unsporting behavior. But, still, it's at referee discretion to decide if distraction happened, correct? So, what is an unwritten rule/unspoken tradition in soccer (not to call "mine" or "I got it"). That's where I am lost. Does it mean that some referees will call it regardless what the situation is since there is a rule for not saying "mine" or "I got it" and I still can't find any specifics regarding what words can or can not be used. I am just curios. Anyone can clarify, pls.

It's a tradition in soccer (such as in Spain and England) that you don't call out "mine" or "I got it". It's a tradition that dates back to the early 20th century. Remember soccer was formed by men at Eaton and various public schools and gentlemen were never gosh enough to call possession of the ball. It was considered unsporting. That's why keepers are taught to yell "keeper" instead of "mine". If you think about it, yelling "keeper" is just as distracting to the attacker as yelling "mine" but "keeper" is fine while "mine" is not....indeed keeper coaches tell their kids to yell it loudly to scare the oncoming striker and let everyone know they are coming.

As baldref has stated, the tradition also encourages refs not to do every little card and not to call every little foul to preserve the flow of the game. Again, the notion is we are all gentlemen and should be able to police ourselves so the ref should only be calling out egregious things. The ref has discretion to card for anything he considers unsporting (but at the same time is encouraged not to unless it's really import). The laws though do provide a list of things which must be carded (that's why the rules say "must" to overrule the entire don't card unnecessarily thing) and you must card if an opponent has been distracted.

Yeah, I know it's annoying....there's a lot of stuff that goes on which isn't written into the rules...it's annoying

There are no specifics to that effect in the laws of the game. It falls under unsporting behavior, verbally distracting an opponent. An example would be screaming at a player right before they jump for a header so they flinch. But in any situation, it needs to be intentionally done to interfere with an opponent. As always with youth soccer, these "rules" need to be administered according to age and skill level. If as a referee you hear and see an obvious instance of a player doing something that affects an opposing player, a card "may be" warranted. And then again, depending upon age and skill level, you might just say "hey #4, knock it off".

There are no specifics to that effect in the laws of the game. It falls under unsporting behavior, verbally distracting an opponent. An example would be screaming at a player right before they jump for a header so they flinch. But in any situation, it needs to be intentionally done to interfere with an opponent. As always with youth soccer, these "rules" need to be administered according to age and skill level. If as a referee you hear and see an obvious instance of a player doing something that affects an opposing player, a card "may be" warranted. And then again, depending upon age and skill level, you might just say "hey #4, knock it off".

For the record, I know it not a big deal we are talking here about specific case when a goalie screams aloud going for a ball.

Yes, the obvious situation with above explanation is clear and there are no questions ref should warn the player not to do it and card if the player does it again.
The situation described with a goalie or let's say a defender goes to the ball and screams 'I got it; is not that clear as what ever they might be screaming could be interpreted as a distraction to opposite players, just like Grace T. was saying.
Since there is no clarity from the laws itself or some kind of guidance of how to handle and some referees might interpreted the situation one way and some with 'tradition in soccer minds - I guess I am refereeing here to older generation referees' will call it differently. So, my problem would be with possible inconsistency in making calls if a referee calls for unsporting behavior for a defender saying I got and not call for goalie saying the same thing. But, honestly, I haven't seen yet any calls like that and was a surprised to hear from here.

And thank you both for the clarifications.

For the record, I know it not a big deal we are talking here about specific case when a goalie screams aloud going for a ball.

Yes, the obvious situation with above explanation is clear and there are no questions ref should warn the player not to do it and card if the player does it again.
The situation described with a goalie or let's say a defender goes to the ball and screams 'I got it; is not that clear as what ever they might be screaming could be interpreted as a distraction to opposite players, just like Grace T. was saying.
Since there is no clarity from the laws itself or some kind of guidance of how to handle and some referees might interpreted the situation one way and some with 'tradition in soccer minds - I guess I am refereeing here to older generation referees' will call it differently. So, my problem would be with possible inconsistency in making calls if a referee calls for unsporting behavior for a defender saying I got and not call for goalie saying the same thing. But, honestly, I haven't seen yet any calls like that and was a surprised to hear from here.

And thank you both for the clarifications.

One of the biggest problems in soccer (which I often complain about is that many of the rules are unwritten so it's hard for people to pickup on and it leaves a lot to the discretion of the referee. So you might have a shirt pulling extravaganza which one referree hands out cards for and another that just says let them play.

One of the biggest problems in soccer (which I often complain about is that many of the rules are unwritten so it's hard for people to pickup on and it leaves a lot to the discretion of the referee. So you might have a shirt pulling extravaganza which one referree hands out cards for and another that just says let them play.
In my opinion shirt pulls from behind are a sign of a desperate defender who got beat and should always be a foul at minimum. If the defender is not fast enough to make up for being beat, then they can let the sound of their footsteps be the only pressure they apply or cover someone else.

Back