How's that Elite 64 League going?

I can definitely see how could see E64 as supplemental, but their words on their webpage describing E64:

"Elite 64 is US Youth Soccer National League’s ‘Elite Performance Tier,’ which is the pinnacle of soccer in the United States, providing a never-before-seen experience that enhances a player’s recruitment into the college and professional game"

"Elite 64 is building player and recruitment pathways never before seen in the youth soccer landscape of the United States Elite 64 provides to each player all the tools they need to not only develop, but to also take the next steps toward recruitment at the collegiate level, professional level, or international level. "

"As the name suggests, Elite 64 is made up of top 64 boys clubs and top 64 girls clubs in the United States, all striving to be the best by competing with the best."

These words are not words used for a supplemental league. The message that is being sent by USYS is that this is a Tier 1 League. Evenso, our club still does really well with college recruitment and our director is nationally known and well respected. My son's team was "ranked" ahead of all but two MLS teams and beat an ECNL national finalist in an age group above theirs during a friendly. 12 of 22 players went D1, 3 went to ranked D3 teams as a personal choice for school and location, and 7 didn't want to play anymore after high school - I'd say they did alright with college recruitment.

My concern lies more for my second son in high school now. The E64 Orlando showcase quickly demonstrated to college coaches how underwhelming the league is. Like I posted before, there are a handful of quality teams in our age group, but the majority of teams not what we thought the competition would be like. Eventually the college coach attendance lists will get smaller and smaller as more E64 games are watched. I am really annoyed with USYS for selling this E64 bit.

The bigger problem is that MLS Next and ECNL are expanding so much that everyone is "elite". There are close to 100 teams in the MLS Next age group for my son and who knows how many for ECNL - probably similar number. MLS Next added 24 clubs in 21-22 and 8 more in 22-23. Many teams also went to ECNL. So suddenly these teams that couldn't get out of state cup group play are now considered to be the "elite" players the next year because their club joined MLS Next or ECNL.

My daughter's club coach who was also the D1 coach for the university in town would always say these leagues keeping adding to teams to their "elite" league that now everyone is considered "elite". Anyway, now I'm just venting. Thanks for reading if you read this far.

They definitely mislead a lot of people about what they were building. I still think it is a good product, but they need to be clear about what is different with their product than the competition (pool play vs dedicated teams). It is years away from being a threat to MLS Next or ECNL, if ever. But, I think it will be a significant threat to all the other Tier 2 letter leagues, once clubs realize they can play dedicated teams in the local leagues, and pool play their best players in E64 competitions. Joining ECNL is more about resources, fields and number of players, than level of play. If a club can provide good fields and administration, ECNL knows the top players will migrate over to the club once they have the branding. Soccer is growing fast in the US, so I am not surprised the level of good teams will continue to expand for awhile as well. The problem is that none of these 'Elite' Leagues are implementing promotion and relegation. At some point, there will need to be a consolidation of Leagues to truly get the best players competing. This past year should be a lesson to everyone: you can't make a Tier 1 League without bringing in the Tier 1 Teams. Gathering Tier 3 teams, and calling them Tier 1, will result in a Tier 3 League. No slight intended toward your team, I know there are a few Tier 1 teams in E64, but they are the exception, and I'm sure are equally frustrated with the scenario. I would have a serious discussion with your Director about having your team play in a high level league outside E64, and use the E64 matches as pool play for benched players, and lower level teams at your club. At least for a few years until the E64 grows or dies.

I can definitely see how could see E64 as supplemental, but their words on their webpage describing E64:

"Elite 64 is US Youth Soccer National League’s ‘Elite Performance Tier,’ which is the pinnacle of soccer in the United States, providing a never-before-seen experience that enhances a player’s recruitment into the college and professional game"

"Elite 64 is building player and recruitment pathways never before seen in the youth soccer landscape of the United States Elite 64 provides to each player all the tools they need to not only develop, but to also take the next steps toward recruitment at the collegiate level, professional level, or international level. "

"As the name suggests, Elite 64 is made up of top 64 boys clubs and top 64 girls clubs in the United States, all striving to be the best by competing with the best."

These words are not words used for a supplemental league. The message that is being sent by USYS is that this is a Tier 1 League. Evenso, our club still does really well with college recruitment and our director is nationally known and well respected. My son's team was "ranked" ahead of all but two MLS teams and beat an ECNL national finalist in an age group above theirs during a friendly. 12 of 22 players went D1, 3 went to ranked D3 teams as a personal choice for school and location, and 7 didn't want to play anymore after high school - I'd say they did alright with college recruitment.

My concern lies more for my second son in high school now. The E64 Orlando showcase quickly demonstrated to college coaches how underwhelming the league is. Like I posted before, there are a handful of quality teams in our age group, but the majority of teams not what we thought the competition would be like. Eventually the college coach attendance lists will get smaller and smaller as more E64 games are watched. I am really annoyed with USYS for selling this E64 bit.

The bigger problem is that MLS Next and ECNL are expanding so much that everyone is "elite". There are close to 100 teams in the MLS Next age group for my son and who knows how many for ECNL - probably similar number. MLS Next added 24 clubs in 21-22 and 8 more in 22-23. Many teams also went to ECNL. So suddenly these teams that couldn't get out of state cup group play are now considered to be the "elite" players the next year because their club joined MLS Next or ECNL.

My daughter's club coach who was also the D1 coach for the university in town would always say these leagues keeping adding to teams to their "elite" league that now everyone is considered "elite". Anyway, now I'm just venting. Thanks for reading if you read this far.
For starters, you know there's going to be major problems when a league says they will be the Top 64 teams in the country. Basing a whole playing circuit on a foundation that is a brazen lie is n to end well.

For starters, you know there's going to be major problems when a league says they will be the Top 64 teams in the country. Basing a whole playing circuit on a foundation that is a brazen lie is n to end well.

Absolutely agree with you. The word used is clubs, not teams. However, it is still misleading; and even then it is not the top 64 clubs in the country.

I don't know anything about this league and what club teams are in it and how good the competition is. I do have a neighbor who's daughter plays on a team in this league and they recently went to an out of state league showcase. I looked at the college coaches attending for the girls as I do for most of the "exclusive" league showcases and elite 64 Florida had more colleges attending the girls side than ECRL and DPL have had at their showcases. Neither of those leagues had many if any division 1 schools which is expected. those schools use their resources for ECNL, GA, and open showcases like Surf and Silverlakes. Just thought it was interesting. Pretty decent turn-out as far as number of colleges for those girls at that elite 64 showcase.

I don't know anything about this league and what club teams are in it and how good the competition is. I do have a neighbor who's daughter plays on a team in this league and they recently went to an out of state league showcase. I looked at the college coaches attending for the girls as I do for most of the "exclusive" league showcases and elite 64 Florida had more colleges attending the girls side than ECRL and DPL have had at their showcases. Neither of those leagues had many if any division 1 schools which is expected. those schools use their resources for ECNL, GA, and open showcases like Surf and Silverlakes. Just thought it was interesting. Pretty decent turn-out as far as number of colleges for those girls at that elite 64 showcase.

That is good for all those who attended. As I believe this is the first E64 Showcase, the important question is: Will those D1 coaches attend future/additional E64 events? Did they like what they saw, or were they disappointed with the league like many others have been? It will be interesting and telling to keep an eye on which coaching staffs attended and return.

Decided to take a look at the E64 page because I haven't heard much about the League lately. The premise was to have 64 of the best clubs in the country, and cap at 64. I was poking fun last year and calling it the Elite 52, because the girls side only had 52 clubs. This year they expanded to 72, So I guess they threw out the 64 best clubs idea after the inaugural year. Now we can call it the Elite 72. Also they created an E64 RL for the clubs second tier teams and brought in 54 clubs. I think they better brainstorm a better name, and drop the E64. Here we go again, more dispersion of players, more travel, so we can play teams at the same level as local leagues. We (sports parents) really are stupid.

Decided to take a look at the E64 page because I haven't heard much about the League lately. The premise was to have 64 of the best clubs in the country, and cap at 64. I was poking fun last year and calling it the Elite 52, because the girls side only had 52 clubs. This year they expanded to 72, So I guess they threw out the 64 best clubs idea after the inaugural year. Now we can call it the Elite 72. Also they created an E64 RL for the clubs second tier teams and brought in 54 clubs. I think they better brainstorm a better name, and drop the E64. Here we go again, more dispersion of players, more travel, so we can play teams at the same level as local leagues. We (sports parents) really are stupid.
The number 64 isn't the only misleading thing in their name. They could drop the word "Elite" and it would be more accurate. But then again, it seems the word "Elite" is used more often that the word "soccer" when describing youth soccer teams/leagues, so E64 isn't hardly the only place guilty of that. They could rename it the "Very Good 72" but that doesn't have a great ring. If I were naming it, I would go with the "72 teams league filled with hard-working and determined players that should be very proud of themselves for playing on very good teams even though their families, clubs and/or geographic locations don't have the vast financial resources of clubs like Surf & Solar in the wealthy suburbs."
And then ECNL could change its name to "MECNL - Mostly Elite Clubs National League"

Having played in ECRL/ECNL for almost three years (G09) and now doing E64 I can tell you that middle of the table and up teams can compete very well with any ECRL/ECNL team. The bottom tier teams are the same in all these leagues. I recall ECNL parents saying the game pace in ECNL was faster and competition stronger but it's actually very similar. As for travel, it just sucks in all these leagues. I would focus on getting your player on a team with a good coach who bases playing time on your player's performance (in practices and on the field) and where she/he feels playing in that team is helping with their development and growth. So far so good for us.

I can tell you that middle of the table and up teams can compete very well with any ECRL/ECNL team.
Bold statement.

Although it’s only two games:
• G10 East County Surf E64 beat G10 SD Surf ECRL 2-1 earlier this summer, and
• G10 East County Surf E64 beat G10 SD Surf NPL 2-0 last month

Neither SD Surf G10 ECRL nor SD Surf G10 NPL are remotely close to SD Surf G10 ECNL.

Where will East County Surf E64 finish on their table?

I'd instead read that info as - the very top E64 teams would likely do just fine in RL, but would struggle against any strong ECNL team. A "middle of the table" E64 team might compete with a "middle of the table" RL team, but it would come down much more to which specific team being used to compare. No "middle of the table" E64 team would be expected to have any luck against all but the weakest ECNL teams.

I'd instead read that info as - the very top E64 teams would likely do just fine in RL, but would struggle against any strong ECNL team. A "middle of the table" E64 team might compete with a "middle of the table" RL team, but it would come down much more to which specific team being used to compare. No "middle of the table" E64 team would be expected to have any luck against all but the weakest ECNL teams.
In my view, except for the #1 team in E64 they struggle against top half of NPL teams

In my view, except for the #1 team in E64 they struggle against top half of NPL teams
On a top 4 SW ECRL team and scrimmaged an E64 team a year older in preparation for them going to nationals last summer. Wasn't even close. We beat them 3-0, 2-1 and 4-0. From what I have seen E64 is not that close to ECRL.

On a top 4 SW ECRL team and scrimmaged an E64 team a year older in preparation for them going to nationals last summer. Wasn't even close. We beat them 3-0, 2-1 and 4-0. From what I have seen E64 is not that close to ECRL.

If you want to define a league by three friendlies go ahead. There are plenty of examples where E64 teams have faired very well with top ECNL/ECRL teams. I'm just saying there are options out there that will also help your kid grow and develop while also playing very competitively.

With plenty of examples, that should be easy to demonstrate, right? Why not post 2-3 instances of what you're talking about?
From what I have seen the E64 teams are composed of players that either can't make the ECNL/ECRL teams or don't want to travel. They are super teams made from local leagues. But the talent just isn't there. All the kids that plan to play after HS and take the sport seriously are in letter leagues and the E64 is made up of what is left. they come from big clubs but their 3rd or 4th best teams for the age group.

Back