How good is Eileen Gu´s Chinese?

blam

SILVER ELITE
Eileen Gu is the American skier who decided to represent China. She just won a gold and silver medals at the 2022 Olympics. How good is her Chinese? Can someone tell? Here is a video.

Eileen Gu is the American skier who decided to represent China. She just won a gold and silver medals at the 2022 Olympics. How good is her Chinese? Can someone tell? Here is a video.

Why would we care?

Gu benefited from growing up in a free country, and chose to represent a government which runs massive prison camps for ethnic minorities.

She sold out. After all, who cares about forced sterilizations as long as the endorsements are profitable, right?

"Gu is smart and speaks fluent Mandarin with a strong Beijing accent. "

Very good. Indistinguishable from a native speaker. It’s pretty impressive considering she was born and raised in the U.S. That is not common at all with Chinese Americans. Many cannot speak Chinese fluently or if they do, speak it with an accent or lack the vocabulary.

Very good. Indistinguishable from a native speaker. It’s pretty impressive considering she was born and raised in the U.S. That is not common at all with Chinese Americans. Many cannot speak Chinese fluently or if they do, speak it with an accent or lack the vocabulary.

Her English is excellent, also, and because of her mixed-race ancestry she is model material in both cultures.

Her English is excellent, also, and because of her mixed-race ancestry she is model material in both cultures.
Well she was born and raised here so of course her English is excellent. It’s the ability to speak Chinese so well that is surprising.

Well she was born and raised here so of course her English is excellent. It’s the ability to speak Chinese so well that is surprising.

She was raised by her mother and grandmother and spent some time every year in China with relatives. I don't see any reason to be surprised.

Many parents here try to keep their native language alive in their US born and raised kids but fail based on what I have seen. I’m surrounded by Chinese Americans in San Francisco who don’t speak any Chinese at all. In my only family I am the only one who can speak our native language and hold ac actual conversation. Being able to spend considerable time in China growing up speaks to her privilege.

Gu benefited from growing up in a free country, and chose to represent a government which runs massive prison camps for ethnic minorities.

The existence of massiave prison camps have already been debunked a long time ago. Many youtubers have been to Xinjiang and found no massive prison camps. They do run job training camps. I think the job training camps make more sense. What better way to control the population than to give them jobs and a mortgage so they will work till they are 65? See Singapore as an example. Where every family holds a 30 year mortgage and every bread earner is too afraid to lose his job for fear of not being able to make his next mortgage payment.

Of course, like vaccine efficacy, some people will never change their mind no matter what the evidence. So I do not expect you to change your mind.

The existence of massiave prison camps have already been debunked a long time ago. Many youtubers have been to Xinjiang and found no massive prison camps. They do run job training camps. I think the job training camps make more sense. What better way to control the population than to give them jobs and a mortgage so they will work till they are 65? See Singapore as an example. Where every family holds a 30 year mortgage and every bread earner is too afraid to lose his job for fear of not being able to make his next mortgage payment.

Of course, like vaccine efficacy, some people will never change their mind no matter what the evidence. So I do not expect you to change your mind.
We've seen the pictures. Those are cell blocks.

Are you stateside or are you posting from the hundred acre woods?

Chinese seems difficult to learn. Is Cantonese very different than Mandarin?
Is it true the reason the Chinese came to the USA was to build the railroads?

Why would we care?

She sold out. After all, who cares about forced sterilizations as long as the endorsements are profitable, right?

You grew up in a free country, yet virtually everything you buy was made in China and other repressive regimes because you can save a few bucks that way.

We've seen the pictures. Those are cell blocks.

No, you have not seen cell blocks and you are confused.

What you probably saw was a compound surrounded by barb wires. People who lived in this compound live for months at a time and are not allowed to leave the compound. The compound is guarded by the military. Every morning and early evening, the "students/prisoners" have to perform marches at the direction of the military guards.

During the day time, they attend training. During the evening after marching, they do sports. At night, they attend government propaganda sessions. All your movement is regulated by a very tight schedule. Or something similar to this.

How do I know?

I am a graduate of one. I won a government scholarship and they sent me there to improve my English.

The instructors at this "concentration camp" were hired from the British Council. All my movement were heavily monitored. I was encouraged to learn more about Islam but they didnt force me although they did try to help me understand more about the religion.

I recall I made my longest record of longest continous unbroken poop, nearly 1 feet long here. It was right after marching and the military officer only gave us 10 minutes to go to our rooms and change for PE. He was pissed because our English class took too long. And I had to poo during all this time. So during that little few minutes I had to change, I rushed to the toilet, did my business, took a glimpse at the toilet bowl and astounded by its length and flushed and ran back down.

You really just need to pass 3 tests to validate your theory about concentration camp in China:
1. Does the idea of a concentration camp in China pass the common sense test?
2. What is the evidence presented by the accusing die?
3. What is the evidence presented by the side being accused?

Go in with an unbiased mind.

If you are already a Falun Gong member who holds angst with China from a different past issue, then nothing will change your mind.

FYI, I do not consider my experience a concentration camp even it fits many check boxes of one. I enjoyed my time there as an 18 years old. Made long lasting friends. Many sweet memories, still one of the highlights and memorable moments of my life.

actually, I’m one of those nutcases who pays twice as much so he can get things made in a democratic country.

It is not easy to do for a lot of products.

Talk is cheap. We both know that it b.s. Who makes your daughter's cleats, big guy? When you mistook that your Oakley blades were "designed" in the U.S. to mean they were made here instead of China, did you call someone to gloat on your Chinese-made iPhone or your Vietnamese Samsung Galaxy, both countries where only the Communist Party is allowed to rule?

Talk is cheap. We both know that it b.s. Who makes your daughter's cleats, big guy? When you mistook that your Oakley blades were "designed" in the U.S. to mean they were made here instead of China, did you call someone to gloat on your Chinese-made iPhone or your Vietnamese Samsung Galaxy, both countries where only the Communist Party is allowed to rule?
If you think I buy girl’s athletic equipment based on anything other than fit and injury risk, you’re nuts. My own shoes are made in Spain. I’m old enough to remember Franco, so cleats aren’t an issue.

Sounds like you’ve tried to avoid items made in China/Burma/Vietnam. Not easy, is it?

If you think I buy girl’s athletic equipment based on anything other than fit and injury risk, you’re nuts. My own shoes are made in Spain. I’m old enough to remember Franco, so cleats aren’t an issue.

Sounds like you’ve tried to avoid items made in China/Burma/Vietnam. Not easy, is it?

Gosh, how convenient that you don't actually buy anything of substance that is made in the U.S., but instead just make excuses to buy crap made in repressive regimes. Your kid has never even tried on a pair of American cleats, so you have no idea what the fit is or the injury risk. You obviously don't have a Librem 5 phone, presumably because they aren't good enough either. You aren't going around paying twice as much for things because they're made in democratic nations, you just use the fact that you once bought a pair of shoes made in Spain to rationalize why you don't really buy anything American made at all other than probably some Bud Light. You're worse than Gu. You can't even point to something you own that was made in the U.S. and, no, buying a pair of shoes from Spain does not make you an American patriot.

So funny that you have every excuse possible to rationalize how you have no problem benefiting from China and other repressive regimes when it suits you, but Eileen Gu is a sell out. Seriously, you bought a pair of shoes from Spain once so and think that makes you a better American than her? You're a joke.

Gosh, how convenient that you don't actually buy anything of substance that is made in the U.S., but instead just make excuses to buy crap made in repressive regimes. Your kid has never even tried on a pair of American cleats, so you have no idea what the fit is or the injury risk. You obviously don't have a Librem 5 phone, presumably because they aren't good enough either. You aren't going around paying twice as much for things because they're made in democratic nations, you just use the fact that you once bought a pair of shoes made in Spain to rationalize why you don't really buy anything American made at all other than probably some Bud Light. You're worse than Gu. You can't even point to something you own that was made in the U.S. and, no, buying a pair of shoes from Spain does not make you an American patriot.
Yeah, yeah. eotl, the insult machine.

Thanks for the tip on the Librem 5, by the way. Any problems getting apps to run on it? Ever since Slackware and redhat, I’ve been a little leery of the usability of opensource products.

Have a nice day.

Back