High School

Season has started. My DD is in a small 3A school that is not super competitive. Love to hear about big schools and other more competitive ones

Season has started. My DD is in a small 3A school that is not super competitive. Love to hear about big schools and other more competitive ones
Most HS soccer is not competitive. Just look at the scores throughout the season. Blowouts everywhere. In each division there are a few decent/good schools. Good or decent because they have a lot of club players. Those teams usually roll everyone else.

Seeing scores of 8-0 is not unusual in HS soccer.

6a and 5a are pretty competitive. Most of the big schools varsity is all ECNL, ECRL, DPL players. They do a pretty good job putting the powerhouse schools in the same division and if a team gets too dominant (private one) they move them up. Notre Dame Prep while size wise is 4a competes in 5a due to the quality of the players.

6a and 5a are pretty competitive. Most of the big schools varsity is all ECNL, ECRL, DPL players. They do a pretty good job putting the powerhouse schools in the same division and if a team gets too dominant (private one) they move them up. Notre Dame Prep while size wise is 4a competes in 5a due to the quality of the players.
I noticed that about them, DId the chap movement to 5a happen due to enrollment?

I noticed that about them, DId the chap movement to 5a happen due to enrollment?
Not sure. Its possible. Notre Dame is the only one I know of for this year. Also be prepared for the kids from the club your high school coach comes from to be preferred over others. Not sure if its because they are familiar or to promote the club but in order for your kid to start they have to be way better than the coach's club kid.

My kid is at a non-competitive 3A too. Most fun time of the soccer season - for the kid. For me, I'm just biting my nails hoping some kid who has no idea what they're doing out there doesn't hack away and break my kids ankle.

It's HS "soccer", there's a reason club coaches moan and groan in March when the kids come back. Bad habits, inflated sense of self and parents who see their kid score 10 goals against Arizona Prep Northwest School of the Christian Honors Arts Academy and thinks they should be the focal point of their ECNL team.

Also be prepared for the kids from the club your high school coach comes from to be preferred over others. Not sure if its because they are familiar or to promote the club but in order for your kid to start they have to be way better than the coach's club kid.

That's just the real world. Call it favoritism, nepotism or politics if you want. Why would youth HS "soccer" be any different?

Hi!
My kiddo just transferred from a 3A to 6A. While high school isn’t known to be super competitive, playing in 6A with and against club teammates (ECNL/RL, DPL) has made HS soccer more enjoyable for our family.

My kiddo does miss playing against yours Singh!

Hi!
My kiddo just transferred from a 3A to 6A. While high school isn’t known to be super competitive, playing in 6A with and against club teammates (ECNL/RL, DPL) has made HS soccer more enjoyable for our family.

It is better. Although a couple games I will sit on the opposing side as I know more club parents over there than HS parents on our side. Nice to catch up with club parents over the break.

Hi!

That's awesome! We played your old team Friday. You guys were definitely missed.

3A soccer is the best! 60% of my kids games end early - more time for me. My kid has a blast and gets to play with friends they spend the day with. The sidelines are filled with parents that may or not realize this is the apex of their kids athletic experience and act accordingly. And...the lack of know-it-alls, armchair soccer coaches on the sidelines and nobody who is looking up opposing teams rosters or modeling analytics to rate and compare teenagers.

Seeing a bunch of tournaments popping up. How do they bracket those? Is it by size of school? Our school typically doesn't do tournaments but we are doing one this break. Do they usually get the bracket right or do the smaller schools just get blown out?

I've done lots of HS tournament games over the past 12 years at all levels of competition and with a large variety of school sizes. I can't recall having had any blowouts. There are some very large HS tournaments with venues scattered all over the county and I have noticed that the tournament directors seem to have done a good job of creating flights that are not only sited at venues within reasonable distances from the schools as well as being fairly well-balanced competitively. That's obviously a much harder task if it's a small tournament hosted at just a few schools

I've done lots of HS tournament games over the past 12 years at all levels of competition and with a large variety of school sizes. I can't recall having had any blowouts. There are some very large HS tournaments with venues scattered all over the county and I have noticed that the tournament directors seem to have done a good job of creating flights that are not only sited at venues within reasonable distances from the schools as well as being fairly well-balanced competitively. That's obviously a much harder task if it's a small tournament hosted at just a few schools
Well the answer seemed to be coach related. Looks like most of the higher quality teams took the time to put in lesser used players or JV for those games. Give bench players some game time or look for hidden talent. Seems like these tournaments are more social and less competitive than Club. Its a nice change to see coaches keep the games pretty close and let the players get some game time in.

There's a difference between etiquette on the sidelines at club vs HS. Club coaches tend to scold parents who yell too much, provide instruction or get on the refs. HS feels much different, especially when the student body gets involved. Nonetheless, parent instruction and commenting/yelling seems to happen much more.

What are your fave/most disgusting things you've heard (or said yourself, no judgement) at the HS level?

I'll go first...

It started with a couple parents telling their players where a kid was on the field and saying "put a body on #X, stop #X, don't let #X turn". When that didn't work it became "push #X, pull #X, grab #X". For me, there's a line between good sportsmanship/acceptable encouragement and being way too invested in a HS game. That one felt icky.

There's a difference between etiquette on the sidelines at club vs HS. Club coaches tend to scold parents who yell too much, provide instruction or get on the refs. HS feels much different, especially when the student body gets involved. Nonetheless, parent instruction and commenting/yelling seems to happen much more.

What are your fave/most disgusting things you've heard (or said yourself, no judgement) at the HS level?

I'll go first...

It started with a couple parents telling their players where a kid was on the field and saying "put a body on #X, stop #X, don't let #X turn". When that didn't work it became "push #X, pull #X, grab #X". For me, there's a line between good sportsmanship/acceptable encouragement and being way too invested in a HS game. That one felt icky.
Clubs use public facilities / fields + need to keep the nonsense down or the city wont rent fields to them.

HS owns the fields + there are no direct repercussions for bad spectator behavior.

It really is this simple + the reason clubs often dont want their top talent playing HS soccer. When you have a team without much skills + they're being urged to fight from the stands what do you think is going to happen next?

Back