High School Soccer Starts Today (15 Nov) in the CIF Southern Section

Wow, my baby girl is a freaking Senior. Time went too fast. Good luck to all the girls playing high school soccer. To all the refs. Please call close games and get those cards out quickly.

Wow, my baby girl is a freaking Senior. Time went too fast. Good luck to all the girls playing high school soccer. To all the refs. Please call close games and get those cards out quickly.
We might be lucky if they show up for every game. The shortage of refs will continue.
The number of people who can swing being at a HS field on Tuesday and Thursday from 3:15 to 7:30pm is bound to be impacted.

We might be lucky if they show up for every game. The shortage of refs will continue.
The number of people who can swing being at a HS field on Tuesday and Thursday from 3:15 to 7:30pm is bound to be impacted.
To my knowledge there are a lot more HS refs than club refs out there.
For once they don't have to do SafeSport or a background check to ref HS.
Other reason, HS pay a lot more than club.
You will have NO problem in HS with refs.
Quality is a different story.....

A high percentage of my afternoon games are scheduled to begin at 3:00pm. To arrive 30 minutes early with additional margin for unexpected traffic moves the required departure time from home/work to much earlier than 3:15 pm. The early HS game times do indeed pose a significant obstacle that keeps many USSF refs from working HS.

These start times are also a barrier for many player's parents who want to come watch their sons/daughters play.

Anyone know why schools don't try to do a "Friday Night Lights" type of thing for soccer?
Why not have games (at least Varsity) on Fridays? Rally the students to show up. Maybe get the band and some cheerleaders out there.

Anyone know why schools don't try to do a "Friday Night Lights" type of thing for soccer?
Why not have games (at least Varsity) on Fridays? Rally the students to show up. Maybe get the band and some cheerleaders out there.
Both our players had Friday night games over the years, but only after football season was totally over (if the football team was in the playoffs). Of course the school did nothing to rally the students or even consider sending the band or the cheerleaders.

Soccer is growing. But I see mediocrity everywhere in HS football, outside the usual powerhouses, and don’t understand the continued bias in favor of the football program, the athletics social media, the band and cheer, the actual play by play and live scores on NFHS! What a relic! Should be bumped from the stage in favor of soccer.

Soccer is growing. But I see mediocrity everywhere in HS football, outside the usual powerhouses, and don’t understand the continued bias in favor of the football program, the athletics social media, the band and cheer, the actual play by play and live scores on NFHS! What a relic! Should be bumped from the stage in favor of soccer.
There are schools were more boys tryout for soccer than football. If you add in girls soccer, I would not be surprised if there are a majority of schools in SoCal were there are more students that tryout for soccer than football. On Friday nights they could have both the varsity girls and boys play there 80 minute games with the band playing between games.

This might need it's own topic, but seems like a good place to put it.

Thanksgiving weekend had showcase events that most ECNL/GA and many other levels of teams played in. 3 games over 3 days- competing for attention from college scouts.
High School coaches know this was happening.
Why would high school coaches schedule a tournament for this week? (our school plays tuesday, thursday and saturday. maybe 2 games on Saturday) Why would HS coaches run practice sessions during this same week that include heavy fitness/sprinting to exhaustion?

With the HS sub rules and most schools having pretty large rosters- Why is there such a desire for HS coaches to run fitness sessions at this time of year? 95% of your players just finished a club season. Running beep tests, miles around the track, 120's, etc is a recipe for disaster.

This might need it's own topic, but seems like a good place to put it.

Thanksgiving weekend had showcase events that most ECNL/GA and many other levels of teams played in. 3 games over 3 days- competing for attention from college scouts.
High School coaches know this was happening.
Why would high school coaches schedule a tournament for this week? (our school plays tuesday, thursday and saturday. maybe 2 games on Saturday) Why would HS coaches run practice sessions during this same week that include heavy fitness/sprinting to exhaustion?

With the HS sub rules and most schools having pretty large rosters- Why is there such a desire for HS coaches to run fitness sessions at this time of year? 95% of your players just finished a club season. Running beep tests, miles around the track, 120's, etc is a recipe for disaster.
It works the other way as well.
Why clubs schedule anything in the end of the Season, when they know HS season starting in November?

Why clubs schedule anything in the end of the Season, when they know HS season starting in November?
It cuts both ways is 100% true. It's too bad for the girls quit frankly. Follow the $$$ and you'll see why the girls even have to make a decision between either or and both and, when both and is the right answer. My dd will have some big news bro to announce Feb 2, 2022 on National Signing Day. It will be epic and all her decision. Crush throws in his MOO's from time to time but this girl is on fire and will be playing soccer for the 2022-2023 season. So proud of her bro.

As long as I can remember, Thanksgiving weekend has been a traditional big tournament opportunity for club soccer. Why did CIF Southern Section choose to intrude on that? San Diego Section soccer season still starts the Monday after.

Last edited:
As long as I can remember, Thanksgiving weekend has been a traditional big tournament opportunity for club soccer. Why did CIF Southenr Section choose to intrude on that? San Diego Section soccer season still starts the Monday after.
Im not saying we couldn't start HS soccer- But not sure we need a tournament that plays Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday with practices on Monday, Wednesday and Friday

The football team at my daughters high school is atrocious but as you mention get the benefits. Basketball is not much better. It is the other sports for both girls and boys that are top notch locally and some nationally ranked.

The 2017-18 HS soccer season was the last one that started the week of Thanksgiving and the rules at the time allowed one scrimmage. A player could participate in a HS scrimmage early in the week and then play with their club in a showcase/tournament on Friday, Saturday and Sunday without impacting their HS eligibility for any game the following week. Little to no impact on either HS or club other than possible conflicts with practice times.

In 2018 the CIF moved the start of all HS winter sports one week earlier and scrimmages were increased to a maximum of two. This creates an issue for club players if their HS schedules a game (rather than a scrimmage) sometime during the 10 days before Thanksgiving. Once they play in a HS game the ban on outside competition now comes into play and creates the tension between club and HS.

At several of my HS games before Thanksgiving this year I had coaches tell me that many of their starters would not be playing since they would be playing in club tournaments/showcases the weekend after Thanksgiving. Much more of an issue now that the season starts mid-November.

The 2017-18 HS soccer season was the last one that started the week of Thanksgiving and the rules at the time allowed one scrimmage. A player could participate in a HS scrimmage early in the week and then play with their club in a showcase/tournament on Friday, Saturday and Sunday without impacting their HS eligibility for any game the following week. Little to no impact on either HS or club other than possible conflicts with practice times.

In 2018 the CIF moved the start of all HS winter sports one week earlier and scrimmages were increased to a maximum of two. This creates an issue for club players if their HS schedules a game (rather than a scrimmage) sometime during the 10 days before Thanksgiving. Once they play in a HS game the ban on outside competition now comes into play and creates the tension between club and HS.

At several of my HS games before Thanksgiving this year I had coaches tell me that many of their starters would not be playing since they would be playing in club tournaments/showcases the weekend after Thanksgiving. Much more of an issue now that the season starts mid-November.
If you know that much, you should also know that both scrimmages and Alumi game for that matter, still does not conflict with club games schedule and are allowed. Don't confuse pre-season games with scrimmages.

How much does it cost to use a company like GotSport to keep track of a tournament?
HS tournament scores / standings tracking would be better of if we sent a fax after each game for updates.

Back