Handball? Offside?

paytoplay

SILVER ELITE
U-15. Time almost up. Score 1-1. Defenders madly trying to clear ball from inside their box, in front of goal, many mis-kicks. Center-back goes to clear ball, she kicks ball into nearby teammate, hitting teammate’s arm. Ref calls handball, awards penalty kick. Is that a good call? Bad call?

Top of the box. Striker in offside position. Attacking teammate passes ball to striker, but defender intercepts the ball. Striker challenges defender for ball, but unable to touch ball. As a result of challenge, though, defender loses ball out of bounds. AR does not signal offside. Throw-in for attacking team. Offside call here? Yes or no?

U-15. Time almost up. Score 1-1. Defenders madly trying to clear ball from inside their box, in front of goal, many mis-kicks. Center-back goes to clear ball, she kicks ball into nearby teammate, hitting teammate’s arm. Ref calls handball, awards penalty kick. Is that a good call? Bad call?

Top of the box. Striker in offside position. Attacking teammate passes ball to striker, but defender intercepts the ball. Striker challenges defender for ball, but unable to touch ball. As a result of challenge, though, defender loses ball out of bounds. AR does not signal offside. Throw-in for attacking team. Offside call here? Yes or no?

1. Similar play many years ago, BU15 at Surf Cup (which means the best referees, right?). Defender gathered up wide shot hear the goal line and pumped it forward with what would have been a long kick if it had not hit a teammate in the back of his arm. Teammate never saw the ball coming as he was already on his way upfield. Result: PK, goal, 1-0 final score. As for your case, I can't tell without being there to see it.

2. It's not an offense to be in an offside position, and the fact that the defender played the ball negates the offside discussion.

Keep in mind that FIFA/IFAB likes to change these aspects of the LOTG every few years just to keep things interesting.

1. Similar play many years ago, BU15 at Surf Cup (which means the best referees, right?). Defender gathered up wide shot hear the goal line and pumped it forward with what would have been a long kick if it had not hit a teammate in the back of his arm. Teammate never saw the ball coming as he was already on his way upfield. Result: PK, goal, 1-0 final score. As for your case, I can't tell without being there to see it.

2. It's not an offense to be in an offside position, and the fact that the defender played the ball negates the offside discussion.

Keep in mind that FIFA/IFAB likes to change these aspects of the LOTG every few years just to keep things interesting.
Best of the best…As to the handball offense, what purpose or advantage is there for a defender to want to handle a ball coming off their teammate’s foot. That kind of inadvertent touch could only help the attacking team anyway by preventing clearing the ball out of trouble.

Best of the best…As to the handball offense, what purpose or advantage is there for a defender to want to handle a ball coming off their teammate’s foot. That kind of inadvertent touch could only help the attacking team anyway by preventing clearing the ball out of trouble.

Referees sometimes worry about what other referees would think of their actions instead of what the players would think. Their role was originally to settle disputes between the two teams (and to bring a watch).

Dang, that doesn't seem like a handball to me. Do you have an opinion on that call?

As for the handling call.... If what you describe is accurate, then it's probably not a very good call. Unless for some reason she was trying to control the ball.

As for the offside claim... There was a time when they instructed us that if a defender makes a play on the ball (other than a block or save), then the offensive player in the offside position was not offside. But now it's back to if the offensive player "affects play". If he/she immediately challenges for the ball from an offside position, then he/she has affected play. So that one is hard to make a judgement on without seeing the exact circumstance. It's always been my opinion that if you're not sure about a call, no call is the best option, especially if the play only resulted in a throw in.

As for the handling call.... If what you describe is accurate, then it's probably not a very good call. Unless for some reason she was trying to control the ball.

As for the offside claim... There was a time when they instructed us that if a defender makes a play on the ball (other than a block or save), then the offensive player in the offside position was not offside. But now it's back to if the offensive player "affects play". If he/she immediately challenges for the ball from an offside position, then he/she has affected play. So that one is hard to make a judgement on without seeing the exact circumstance. It's always been my opinion that if you're not sure about a call, no call is the best option, especially if the play only resulted in a throw in.

I second baldref. Think he’s got it right. My only note is that the handball rules have been a bit of a mess having been revised each of the last 3 years. It’s probably why the ref and every one else is confused. You can have a handball now not only if it’s intentional but also if the player is unnaturally bigger or accidentally scores a goal off of it. But if the ball accidentally struck an arm of a teammate while making its way up field that’s not handball because it’s hard to imagine the player making themselves unnaturally bigger to stop their own clearance….as baldref points out the way this would be handball would be if the player used her arm to control the pass.

I second baldref. Think he’s got it right. My only note is that the handball rules have been a bit of a mess having been revised each of the last 3 years. It’s probably why the ref and every one else is confused. You can have a handball now not only if it’s intentional but also if the player is unnaturally bigger or accidentally scores a goal off of it. But if the ball accidentally struck an arm of a teammate while making its way up field that’s not handball because it’s hard to imagine the player making themselves unnaturally bigger to stop their own clearance….as baldref points out the way this would be handball would be if the player used her arm to control the pass.
What I'm seeing lately, refs just make a call every time ball touches the hand. It's easier for them to do it this way, so they don't have to think about it. :eek:

1) Penalty
2) Not offside

Back