GK College Recruiting

The school that she is verbally committed to is a dream school and is a school that even without soccer she would have applied to. Unfortunately it is a D3 school in a state that doesn't typically offer money to middle class parents for merit. The school with the full ride is one that wasn't on the radar until we did a google search for the top schools with the major. The thing that makes it really appealing is the money.

So sad that a state school outside of CA will offer a full ride merit scholarship and I doubt that my kiddo will see a cent offered here. So sad that other states are luring away our top 5% academic kiddos (I use this percentage because she is in the top 5% at her high school) and our state isn't willing to care because so many kids want a spot at our schools.
Make sure you visit this out of state school if she is thinking of going there. After my daughters first trip out of State to a school that was making a nice offer, she knew it wouldn't work. She wanted to be able to visit friends and family on a weekend if she needed. She wanted more diversity. The vibe wasn't there. The trip had us reassess what schools she was looking for.

As mentioned, make sure you have in writing everything that is covered. Good luck with your decision. Keep us updated.

For those of you that have been through it, or are in it now, is the GK recruiting process unique or different in any way compared to the other field players? Should or did your GK attend ID camps, reach out to the schools' GK coach, etc. Thanks!
It is unique. She committed 2011. GK coaches are influencers. Sell to the coach.
A lot depends on what you want - Money, the school, play time.
While I think the play time is very important to the parents and the player at this time for SoCalSoccer, looking back it is the least significant thing. The most significant thing were the choices offered. The school, the degree, the lifestyle.

It is not unusual for a coach to recruit a GK to keep other schools from getting them.

Camps matter a lot when you have scoped out the school. Before then, use email and video.

From a well know recruiting service.

If we had 20 quality female ⚽️ 2023 WSOC keepers come in today, virtually all could be on multiple visits in 30 days
Some on full rides
Some to P5 D1 level
Most would have 10-50 choices depending on their circumstances

There is a true shortage of quality female GK’s in #collegesoccer

If you are a 2023 and still looking for a a school, let me know. This service scouted my daughter, gave me a great evaluation on her. We chose to continue our hard work to get her into the right school on our own and not use the service, but if you are still looking, let me know and I'll DM you their info. They were a consideration if things hadn't worked out for us. Recruiting is hard. Just want everyone to have a spot to play if they want one.

My DD is a 2025, plays ECNL, and has over a 4.0 Weighted GPA…she can start talking and really communicating with D1 Coaches in a couple weeks. She has been to few D1 camps, done pretty well, has received good feedback, has had her club coach tell her a handful of schools have reached out to him about her, and have a lot of those coaches come to her showcase games at multiple events, follow her on social, and her recruiting profile. We feel like she is in a pretty good spot.

We started the camps in Dec of her Freshman year, and she did camps during HS Soccer on the weekends and during the summer. We are repeating the same thing this year, her Sophomore Year. She has also had a few D3’s and NAIA schools reach out to her that she has talked to. A couple of the D3’s are in the ‘Little Ivy’ group, very good academics and pretty good soccer programs.

She has had her mind set on playing D1, that said some of these D3 Schools are amazing academic schools, and a lot play all their keepers although there a distinct pecking order based on ability,

My DD wants to play and play early, and not sit for a year, two, or sometimes three before getting her shot which is what I see at a lot of D1 schools when looking at the rosters and stats.

Anybody gone through these discussions with their kid? I want her to focus on the education and long term, not the sweatshirt and the Insta post. It’s a big discussion in our home at the moment.

She also wants to commit early because she has seen what a lot of her 2024 teammates have been going through with all the Covid years, and how that has impacted them, although the 2025 class does not have to deal with the Covid year. It’s a big decision and I want her to take her time.

First question she needs to ask herself is does she want to be an athlete student or a student athlete?

My kid decided early on that she wanted the academics to be the most important part of her college career. She wanted the freedom to do internships and study abroad. She also wanted a school that was high academics for her major. Once she identified those schools that had her specific major (marine ecology) she started talking to the coaches. She committed to a D3 in the summer of her junior year and will start training in August. She already has a research related internship lined up where she will dive on kelp forests in the winter quarter.

That said there been a few D1 coaches that reached out to her coach during her senior year (before she announced). There were a few conversations where the lure of playing D1 and all the prestige that comes with it led to a sleepless night but then she always came back to the academics and the major and what she wants to do with it.

One more thing to be aware of is coaching changes. The entire coaching staff changed since she signed. Thankfully she likes the new coaches but a lot of the girls left the program when the coach changed. Make sure your kiddo ends up at a school she would be happy with even if the soccer doesn't work out. The school has to pass the "broken leg" test.

My DD is a 2025, plays ECNL, and has over a 4.0 Weighted GPA…she can start talking and really communicating with D1 Coaches in a couple weeks. She has been to few D1 camps, done pretty well, has received good feedback, has had her club coach tell her a handful of schools have reached out to him about her, and have a lot of those coaches come to her showcase games at multiple events, follow her on social, and her recruiting profile. We feel like she is in a pretty good spot.

We started the camps in Dec of her Freshman year, and she did camps during HS Soccer on the weekends and during the summer. We are repeating the same thing this year, her Sophomore Year. She has also had a few D3’s and NAIA schools reach out to her that she has talked to. A couple of the D3’s are in the ‘Little Ivy’ group, very good academics and pretty good soccer programs.

She has had her mind set on playing D1, that said some of these D3 Schools are amazing academic schools, and a lot play all their keepers although there a distinct pecking order based on ability,

My DD wants to play and play early, and not sit for a year, two, or sometimes three before getting her shot which is what I see at a lot of D1 schools when looking at the rosters and stats.

Anybody gone through these discussions with their kid? I want her to focus on the education and long term, not the sweatshirt and the Insta post. It’s a big discussion in our home at the moment.

She also wants to commit early because she has seen what a lot of her 2024 teammates have been going through with all the Covid years, and how that has impacted them, although the 2025 class does not have to deal with the Covid year. It’s a big decision and I want her to take her time.
There is a bit of a tension between wanting high academic and committing early. All of the D3 high academics (e.g., schools in the NESCAC, UAA, Centennial, SCIAC (Pomona, Claremont McKenna, Cal Tech etc), and many of the DI high academics (e.g., Ivies and the academically stronger Patriot League schools) are not on the same timeline as other D1s, D2s and NAIA schools. They really want to see grades at least all the way through junior year the same as they would for normal admits. The top D3s will do a pre-read in mid-Summer (July 1 for most, but NESCAC is reportedly moving to an August 1 date) that involves submitting your transcript through junior year grades, your class schedule for Fall senior year, and a resume or mini-application (not including all the essays and recs). The Ivies do something similar called a "likely letter." Those aren't guarantees, but they are indications from the Admissions Offices to coaches and players that they are plausible candidates and then coaches decide from the pool who they will support for admissions in early decision. Some schools give coaches slots, others just give a thumb on the scale, so even a positive pre-read isn't a guarantee the coach will fully support your kid. When players announce commitments to these schools (especially the Ivies), they say they are committing to the process, which is not the same as in other schools where offers are guarantees as long as you don't tank academically or soccer-wise. It can be a stressful process if your DD is already anxious given what she has seen for Covid grads.

Having said that, while female GKs are in high demand (much more so than for men), the chances of playing right out of the gate or even in a year or two are really low in D1 and, frankly, somewhat unrealistic at any level if the program is a good one and the coach did his or her job in recruiting and retaining players. It can happen with injuries, the transfer portal, and for a strong player, but I wouldn't count on it. You basically would have to go to a school far below your relative ability to feel confident you can start at GK over an upperclassmen. Plus, the portal can work both ways so a promise from the coach can quickly turn south. It's more plausible that the coach can tell you that they see your DD as a starter-type rather than a training GK-type, then they can promise you playing time in the first two years. At D3, the portal is less of an issue and a glance at the roster and a discussion about the recruiting class can give you a firmer sense of where you might stand from Day 1 (or Year 2), but even there it's no guarantee. The downside to a bit less competitive team in D3 is that while the coach feels more comfortable rotating and therefore your DD might play some games in Year 1, the coach also may employ more of a pure seniority system with goalkeepers because the emphasis is on the experience for everyone in that program more than winning. A D1 coach is going to play the best players because their job is on the line, but that also means you see GKs who start freshman year and never sniff the field again if they make a mistake. Playing goalkeeper in college is not for the faint of heart.

My pitch to your DD is that knowing all of that uncertainty, use the GK skills to get the best academic schools interested in you and then use the promises of playing time, soccer program reputation, coach, admissions guarantees and any other criteria to decide among those best academic options. If your DD balks, dig up the transfer stats in D1 women's soccer. It's really bleak. Men, at least, get a reality check early on because 30-40% of D1 rosters are international players. Women, on the other hand, find out that the big name school shine wears off quickly once you are on campus, especially if your DD is the type of GK to get antsy sitting for two or three years.

Starting early was a goal of my DD as well. When factoring in location, academic area of interest and wanting a winning soccer culture, it REALLY narrowed down her choices to almost nothing. Her ability, size and talent were enough to make a D1 roster at some decent schools and she had two scholarship offers that made financial sense for us, but those didn't check the soccer culture or location box for her. She did manage to check all those boxes after widening her search beyond D1 and we thought she had picked a real winner, only to have things significantly change from year one (2020 covid redshirt year) to year three in terms of the coaches, culture, and school athletic department resources. Also, on my daughter's top 10 nationally ranked ECNL squad, she had 16 teammates commit to various schools in various divisions, and I've followed them closely. Almost NONE have had smooth, positive experiences and only four or five are even still playing, two in D1 and two in D2 and maybe one in D3. It's been a total grind for those that are still at it and even the few that got significant playing time early, didn't necessarily see that trend continue. In two years, my daughter saw over 2000 minutes and almost 30 starts for a winning program, even with significant injuries cutting into that production, but STILL was considering quitting after her second season because of the emotional toll. She ended up transferring, meaning that out of 16 college commits from her team, only 3 are still at the program they started at, and most aren't even playing. Those attrition rates are true across the board. I tell parents of younger athletes all the time: Don't do it. College sports is not what it used to be or what you think it is. Now, having said that, I couldn't have stopped my kid from doing it if I wanted to. It's her life, and she's one determined woman. But it comes at a huge price. The point I'm making is that you really should try to scare your kid with the numbers. Show her old rosters of all the D1 schools she's interested in, and have her look at the GK's who were on the team 4-5 years ago and look up their career stats. Have her read their bios and note how many played ECNL, DA, ODP, All-state, State Chamipions, etc., etc. Then note how many actually played more than one full season. And how many played 4 years. More importantly, note how many played less than 5 games their entire college career or how many disappeared from the roster after one year. It's a TON. Gotta manage those expectations early.

Lastly, I wanted to say Dargle's post above is spot on. I would add one edit, though.
A D1 coach is going to play the best players because their job is on the line, but that also means you see GKs who start freshman year and never sniff the field again if they make a mistake. Playing goalkeeper in college is not for the faint of heart.
We've learned that this is true at ALL college levels. It doesn't matter if it's D2, 3, or NAIA. Those coaches are employed to win games. It's not HS, where the coach is usually a teacher first and a coach second. Any college coach is being paid to win. And if they lose, they lose their jobs. I don't care if it's the last place team in the worst conference of the smallest division, I guarantee you that coach isn't giving out playing time based on sympathy or thoughtfulness or consideration for your child's feelings. Those coaches are just as competitive and just as cold-blooded as the D1 coaches, and in some cases, even more so because their individual program might be a bigger deal within the smaller school.

Sure. Mine wanted the best college for her degree. She saw soccer as a tool for school early. All her playing time was in club and a few vs international and pro in college.
She chose her best school (happened to be the NC at the time) and got in because of soccer. We found if you meet the bar for test scores and grades doing better does not matter so much if they want you.

First year she got hurt in practice and 2nd year her classes conflicted with soccer at that school.
She moved on but really, college soccer was over. She went back 4 years ago to help with recruiting for her employer, and they had her jersey in a case with her name on it - so nice gesture for busting my kid in practice.
Later college she played on a co-ed team with 5-6 of the NCAA men's champions and started playing on the field. She said that was the best soccer ever.
She still plays at 28 while very few of her college teammates do.

Back