Girls Development Academy

With GDA keeping many of the higher level female soccer players out of HS soccer, this season of HS Girls soccer will be interesting. On the plus side, it will allow more players to play soccer as teenagers, which is not a terrible thing.

My DDs a sophomore and made varsity for a large north county public high school in san diego. She said during tryouts she asked one of the gals what positioned she played and gal replied "position? I don't know...". Pretty much sums up level of HS ball.

HS Soccer on the girls side isn't about the soccer.

girls especially miss it. It is a huge social thing for girls, I'm sure with the boy too. Simple fix. DA just shut down for 3 months. What are you going to teach in 3 months that will be drastically improved. If my kid had a decision Id say play high school. You can't put a price on those memories

Not that simple. HS soccer is a winter sport here but a spring sport in some areas and a fall sport in other areas of the country. Hard to have a national program with those conflicts.

Not that simple. HS soccer is a winter sport here but a spring sport in some areas and a fall sport in other areas of the country. Hard to have a national program with those conflicts.
good point. i seriously hope that the people at the top of this could figure that part out. either way it national games wouldn't take place while kids are in school. Im guessing.

HS soccer is not about soccer. It’s about playing for your school, your friends, with upper class man and in front of teachers and peers. GDA is a waste of time for 99% of the kids. Only the few will make the WNT.

GDA is a waste of time for 99% of the kids. Only the few will make the WNT.
Please elaborate on how it is a waste of time? Prior to GDA, would you say the same thing about ECNL? Cause the percentages don’t change. Or are you just saying that playing against some of the best players and teams possible is dumb?

If the percentages don't change why was the girls development academy created in the first place? Seems like every thing was going fine with the system that was in place.

If the percentages don't change why was the girls development academy created in the first place? Seems like every thing was going fine with the system that was in place.
The answer to that question is above my pay grade. ECNL wasn’t an option for my DD based on geography and GDA is in our back yard. I don’t agree with the need for multiple leagues. Would be nice to have a single, geographically diverse, ECNL type league.

I don’t agree with the need for multiple leagues. Would be nice to have a single, geographically diverse, ECNL type league.

Maybe there is a need for multiple leagues. As long as they have different philosophies and different rules (e.g. allowing kids to play high school), then over time the results might speak for themselves and then people will have more actual data on what works and what does not. In the long run, trying different things is usually a good idea. Might not be great for the individual who gets caught up in something new and untried (such as the GDA), but over time there is a useful collective learning from having tried something new.

Maybe there is a need for multiple leagues. As long as they have different philosophies and different rules (e.g. allowing kids to play high school), then over time the results might speak for themselves and then people will have more actual data on what works and what does not. In the long run, trying different things is usually a good idea. Might not be great for the individual who gets caught up in something new and untried (such as the GDA), but over time there is a useful collective learning from having tried something new.
Money and control is what it's all about.
Switching teams or trying a new league can lead to a lost year, at the wrong time if you are an 01,02 or 03.

Why can't you just answer the question without responding with another question? Just don't respond if you don't have an answer.
I can see why JAP use to go at it with him on the old forum. It was better when they did this to each other and left us out of it. But JAP has gone into semi-retirement (only engaging from time to time) and their war has waned. But a new front has begun and now you are involved.

Why can't you just answer the question without responding with another question? Just don't respond if you don't have an answer.

Here is an answer - if the stated purpose is player development, recording win-loss-tie results is measuring the wrong thing.

Back