Girls Development Academy

Those were against tomato cans. Let's see what she does at 2pm PST today against a real team...

I think that she is an amazing player but you can't tell much from playing teams that aren't tournament quality.
Wisconsin may not be a top team, but they aren't exactly a tomato can either. They had the 3rd best defense in the Big 10 last year and have their star 5th-year senior keeper back. So they were a decent test for a freshman playing her second official college match. Agreed though that Florida will be much more of a test today.

Wisconsin may not be a top team, but they aren't exactly a tomato can either. They had the 3rd best defense in the Big 10 last year and have their star 5th-year senior keeper back. So they were a decent test for a freshman playing her second official college match. Agreed though that Florida will be much more of a test today.

I hear you and again I think that she is a great player and will be on the PAC 12 all-freshman team. However, Wisconsin was 9-5-8 WITH Rose Lavelle and is much worse now. They are not a tournament team.

I hear you and again I think that she is a great player and will be on the PAC 12 all-freshman team. However, Wisconsin was 9-5-8 WITH Rose Lavelle and is much worse now. They are not a tournament team.
Let me put it this way. In those 22 games last year Lavelle held 18 teams to LESS than 2 goals. So it's at least moderately impressive that Macario scored 2 by herself against her in the 46 minutes she was on the field.

That's because the very top talent went to ECNL. Coaches go where the talent is. That's now the case with DA, although it seems to be a lot more watered down due to the number of teams. My guess is that right now it is probably better to be very top of the bench at an ECNL or top flight 1 team than bottom of the bench at DA to get looks. Probably better to be a top ECNL team than a bottom DA team as far as getting looks. Although we are still a year away, so what do I know except we are all spending a lot of time and money on a dream that may never happen!

I can agree that it is probably better to be at the top of the bench on an ECNL team then the bottom at a DA team but I can't agree with you throwing in Flight 1 to this comparison. Essentially you are saying being the top of the bench at an ECNL team is the same as being on a Flight 1 team? It's far better to be on a DA or ECNL roster than on a Flight 1 team. Even the bottom of the DA bench is guaranteed to start 25% of the time. It remains to be seen but I believe time will tell that it is even better to be on a DPL team then all but the very best Flight 1 or CSL teams.

the
I'm still laughing at the "Tomato Can" reference...lol. I haven't heard that saying in a long time...:)

I hear you and again I think that she is a great player and will be on the PAC 12 all-freshman team.
A little perspective on how good Macario has been out of the gate:

Macario now has 4 goals on 11 shots (6 on goal) in 3 games.

Stanford's all-time leading goal scorer is current USWNT striker Christen Press. In Press' freshman year she had 8 goals on 60 shots in 21 games. (That earned her Pac-10 Freshman of the Year and First-team Freshman All-American honors.) Macario needs to score only 1 goal every 5 games or so from here on out to match Press.

A little perspective on how good Macario has been out of the gate:

Macario now has 4 goals on 11 shots (6 on goal) in 3 games.

Stanford's all-time leading goal scorer is current USWNT striker Christen Press. In Press' freshman year she had 8 goals on 60 shots in 21 games. (That earned her Pac-10 Freshman of the Year and First-team Freshman All-American honors.) Macario needs to score only 1 goal every 5 games or so from here on out to match Press.

I am well aware of her and I know Jose well too. It's hard to explain what the grind of a season does to a player. She will definitely be in the running for freshman of the year but there are several outstanding freshman spread throughout 4 or 5 teams that are going to be in the running. Let's see what happens next weekend.

Okay. Now Macario's scored a goal against Florida (at the 26 minute mark). Am I allowed to be impressed yet? :)

Be as impressed as you want. I would just give her some time. The PAC 12 is the toughest conference top to bottom in the country. Lots of things happen. Look how all of the top 4 teams lost today yet lowly Penn State and UCLA took care of business.

I am well aware of her and I know Jose well too. It's hard to explain what the grind of a season does to a player. She will definitely be in the running for freshman of the year but there are several outstanding freshman spread throughout 4 or 5 teams that are going to be in the running. Let's see what happens next weekend.
You crack me up. You keep moving the bar. Okay, so Florida wasn't the test after all. It's actually next weekend that counts. Got it.

I'm sure you know Macario better than me, but I've been a fan of Stanford Women's Soccer going on 30 years now and I honestly can't recall anyone making such an immediate offensive impact for the team. Maybe I've forgotten (it's been a lot of seasons), but it's at least rare. Who knows what will happen the rest of the season, but it's a great start.

You crack me up. You keep moving the bar. Okay, so Florida wasn't the test after all. It's actually next weekend that counts. Got it.

I'm sure you know Macario better than me, but I've been a fan of Stanford Women's Soccer going on 30 years now and I honestly can't recall anyone making such an immediate offensive impact for the team. Maybe I've forgotten (it's been a lot of seasons), but it's at least rare. Who knows what will happen the rest of the season, but it's a great start.

I never said Florida wasn't a test. Her father and I talked about it on Sunday (he was at my player's game). She is playing well and starting for Stanford is fantastic (and not unexpected since they don't have many finishers). All I said is give her some time. All freshmen hit a slump at some point. You can read into my post all you want but this type of freshman year is eye popping. http://floridagators.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=2999

Can she get there? Yes. Does she have some elite tools? Yes. Are their some glaring weaknesses to her game? Yes. Can she be a full WNT player? Absolutely if she keeps working. All that I am saying is don't go overboard with the expectations. I have seen her play since she was 12. Let's just let her keep doing her thing and grade it in November when it really counts.

Here is the standard....

http://www.gostanford.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=9092

She lead the conference in goals, was PAC 10 freshman of the year, 1st team all PAC 10 and was 2nd team all-American. How's that?

Here is the standard....

http://www.gostanford.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=9092

She lead the conference in goals, was PAC 10 freshman of the year, 1st team all PAC 10 and was 2nd team all-American. How's that?
Taylor had a GREAT freshman season. (Playing with Kelley O'Hara and Christen Press certainly helped.) And I agree all should be impressed if Macario matches it. But Macario's had the more impressive start. Taylor scored 2 goals in her first 3 games. Macario's scored 4 in her 3 games, including the one she scored 7 minutes into her Stanford career and the one against (now #2) Florida.

Back