Foul?

I hadn't seen or read anywhere that there's was any controversy over PKs. The whole point of them being close to auto goals is that the offense would likely have been a goal, had it not occurred. Surely if you make it harder to score, then it will just result in more PKs.

Anyway, if they are going to make it harder, then I'd favor an auto red for the person who gave it away, irrespective of the offense.
The trouble is, when the only available penalty is too severe, referees won't apply it.

An auto-red just makes it worse. You put the ref in a position with no middle road: Play on, or decide the game. Horrible choice.

The trouble is, when the only available penalty is too severe, referees won't apply it.

An auto-red just makes it worse. You put the ref in a position with no middle road: Play on, or decide the game. Horrible choice.
True, but as a defender you also have to know that a foul in the box is terrible for your team. It is a clear shove in the back. PK for me all day.

no foul for me. For what it is worth, I started playing football in 1977 and started refereeing in 1985....

Back