ECNL vs. DA turf war has created a 'toxic environment'

If GDA does away, does ECNL need to add anything?
ECNL was on the attack trying to bring clubs over because they felt their league was better than DA. If the competition no longer exists, what incentive does ECNL have to bring on more clubs? Do they go back to 2016 and only let in their "favorites"?

I think the incentive is to shore up some regions where the travel isn’t great (mid west & Texas) and then add the top of the food chain clubs. If there are too many power clubs left out of ECNL there is a risk of those clubs forming some type of league to compete with ECNL. If you bring the Surf, FC Dallas & Top Hat’s of the world into the ECNL fold the league is strengthened and the risk of a competing league is minimized.

Where I last heard was via a few GDA coaches and some other adults with very close connection to the situation. The reasoning I was told, new president doesn't want to spend 9 million(I guess that's how much it costs to run the program) on DA with millions tied up in lawsuits and now without making as much money with COVID-19 situation. Again, it's a rumor and nothing certain but I've heard it from enough places today where I'm starting to think it could have some truth to it. I guess we'll find out next week either way.

If this happens, I'd assume it would be hard for ECNL to say no to the TOP TOP clubs. There may not be room for just a good club thought. It would cause lots of have especially towards the end of the soccer year.

If (and it’s a very big if) the GDA comes to an end, which of the So Cal clubs do you think the ECNL picks up?

101 ECNL clubs nationwide (counting the announced GDA defections for next year) and 46 GDA clubs. What would the ECNL take, 20 GDA clubs?

Doesn't the GDA has a lot more than 46 clubs even after the defections...?

If (and it’s a very big if) the GDA comes to an end, which of the So Cal clubs do you think the ECNL picks up?

101 ECNL clubs nationwide (counting the announced GDA defections for next year) and 46 GDA clubs. What would the ECNL take, 20 GDA clubs?
DA is done and the announce should come in the next week or so. I’m just curious which clubs from so cal will be joining the ECNL.

Glad to hear it, even if in rumor form.

Hope ECNL just treats it as a merger and accepts the DA teams as a block.

DA is done and the announce should come in the next week or so. I’m just curious which clubs from so cal will be joining the ECNL.
I have a few rumors on that, but I will see what others have to say on that subject. What went down regarding age change back to school year?

If ECNL accepts them all it will be such a water downed product. Plus they would not have the field space at showcases for all these clubs. ECNL should take top clubs like Surf (a former founding member), but not clubs like Pats. I also can see them shoring up travel in other parts of the country. But, So Cal doesn't need that. There are plenty of ECNL clubs already here.

shouldn't you be dead by now?

The virus hasn't got me because I have been practicing the appropriate isolation and sanitation measures. Haven't you been doing that also?

I have died in the old-fashioned sense at least twice already, but not from a virus.

If this happens, no way ECNL accept them all. Not feasible especially finding space at national showcase events at one big complex.

It will be hard for them to say no to Surf, Legends, Beach, etc but the normal good club, I can see them on the outside looking in. One thing for sure, ECNL president is now most powerful person in elite youth soccer! How he deals with so cal and Texas IF this happens will be very interesting. Some clubs out there will be going insane and parents trying to jump right away once announcement comes.

If ECNL accepts them all it will be such a water downed product. Plus they would not have the field space at showcases for all these clubs. ECNL should take top clubs like Surf (a former founding member), but not clubs like Pats. I also can see them shoring up travel in other parts of the country. But, So Cal doesn't need that. There are plenty of ECNL clubs already here.
Watered down has its merits.

I dont really want to fly to Vegas or Utah, just for a game. playing the best teams in a 2 hour radius would work fine.

Back