Climate and Weather

Izzy is still waiting for you to remember the name of the finance infomercial guy selling the six part how to get rich pitch at 3 in the morning.

I don't remember anything in that pitch about getting rich quick.

Except maybe for the guy doing the pitching.

The latest storm has moved out of NorCal and the damkeepers managed to keep Oroville Dam from collapsing --

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cdecapp/resapp/resDetailOrig.action?resid=ORO

One point that has not been made in the news reports is that the normal way to control the lake's level is through the powerhouse at the bottom of the main body of the dam. Oroville was built as a bidrectional pumped-storage facility, in which water is let out of the dam spinning the turbines and generators when electric demand is high, and then when supply exceeds demand water can be pumped back up into the lake to use later. To facilitate this, the bed of the Feather River was altered into a flat channel from the powerhouse outlet almost to Oroville city mints, where the water is diverted into the basins dug out in the hydraulic-mining debris, called the Thermalito Forebay. The earth and rock excavated from the basins was used to build the main body of the dam, transported up by a purpose-built railway.

However, one of the side-effects of the partial collapse of the main spillway is that a lot of loose material - sand, rocks, trees, asphalt and concrete - was washed down into the powerhouse channel, effectively shutting it off from the Forebay and thus keeping the powerhouse out of action. Because of that, the lake will not get below the level of the spillway gates (see graphic linked above) until the channel is cleared, and that clearing cannot be done until the spillway stops spilling.

"That's some catch, that Catch-22."
"It's the best there is."

The latest storm has moved out of NorCal and the damkeepers managed to keep Oroville Dam from collapsing --

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cdecapp/resapp/resDetailOrig.action?resid=ORO

One point that has not been made in the news reports is that the normal way to control the lake's level is through the powerhouse at the bottom of the main body of the dam. Oroville was built as a bidrectional pumped-storage facility, in which water is let out of the dam spinning the turbines and generators when electric demand is high, and then when supply exceeds demand water can be pumped back up into the lake to use later. To facilitate this, the bed of the Feather River was altered into a flat channel from the powerhouse outlet almost to Oroville city mints, where the water is diverted into the basins dug out in the hydraulic-mining debris, called the Thermalito Forebay. The earth and rock excavated from the basins was used to build the main body of the dam, transported up by a purpose-built railway.

However, one of the side-effects of the partial collapse of the main spillway is that a lot of loose material - sand, rocks, trees, asphalt and concrete - was washed down into the powerhouse channel, effectively shutting it off from the Forebay and thus keeping the powerhouse out of action. Because of that, the lake will not get below the level of the spillway gates (see graphic linked above) until the channel is cleared, and that clearing cannot be done until the spillway stops spilling.

"That's some catch, that Catch-22."
"It's the best there is."

Great movie.
The mountain in the background loosely translates to "goat tit mountain". Thats what my grandfather called it.
As a kid, my brothers and I would take the dirt road from grandad's house, on the trail 90's gramps had, down the hill on the other side of "goat tit", and follow the dirt road to the runway, take a left, and go all the way to the end.
That beach was pristine.
We speared pompano, and seabass. I even got a giant needlefish with my sling once.
My mother saute'd the pompano folded in paper bags.

The place was surreal. It was in the middle of nowhere.
You'd ride down this long, bumpy dirt road, and then all of a sudden, you were on a giant runway that led straight to an isolated, white sand beach, with incredible coral reefs.
We fished from that beach as well. Roosterfish, and sierra, bass and sculpin.

I understand they built a "club med" there in the late 80s.
I cant imagine it that way.

Great movie.
The mountain in the background loosely translates to "goat tit mountain". Thats what my grandfather called it.
As a kid, my brothers and I would take the dirt road from grandad's house, on the trail 90's gramps had, down the hill on the other side of "goat tit", and follow the dirt road to the runway, take a left, and go all the way to the end.
That beach was pristine.
We speared pompano, and seabass. I even got a giant needlefish with my sling once.

You'd ride down this long, bumpy dirt road, and then all of a sudden, you were on a giant runway that led straight to an isolated, white sand beach, with incredible coral reefs.

Nobody cares about your grandad's house...

Nobody cares about your grandad's house...
Great movie.
That beach was pristine.

Coral reefs?

Coral reefs?
The beach was pure white sand, and went you went in the water, there were big sections of reef just off the beach.
crystal clear water, and nobody around for miles.

The movie set was still there.
Buildings, old rusted out airplane parts, and a runway that led straight to the beach.
My grandad had a big dummy bomb in his house he scavanged from the site.
It was super cool for ten or eleven year old kids.
I can attest, first hand.

The beach was pure white sand, and went you went in the water, there were big sections of reef just off the beach.
crystal clear water, and nobody around for miles.

The movie set was still there.
Buildings, old rusted out airplane parts, and a runway that led straight to the beach.
My grandad had a big dummy bomb in his house he scavanged from the site.
It was super cool for ten or eleven year old kids.
I can attest, first hand.
Where is it? Not the Trump bomb . . . the beach?

Back