CIF Final Referee selections

Art

SILVER ELITE
Does anyone know or can offer input on how referees that are selected for finals will be placed into them? Like what’s the process and ruling behind them. Cant find any info anywhere online or within rulebooks, maybe I’m not seeing it. Anyone that can offer some input will be greatly appreciated. Also, are semi finals and beyond where associations switch games with other associations and etc?

Does anyone know or can offer input on how referees that are selected for finals will be placed into them? Like what’s the process and ruling behind them. Cant find any info anywhere online or within rulebooks, maybe I’m not seeing it. Anyone that can offer some input will be greatly appreciated. Also, are semi finals and beyond where associations switch games with other associations and etc?
It's been a minute since I've done it. Assuming a referee already assigned to 1 of the final crews, here is what I remember:
All crews assigned by their level - for example 1 through 6. Sometimes it's only 5 Finals so 6th crew will not be assigned. So best game, lets say D1 will get Crew #1 and so on.
Now it all depends who makes the final. Assignment for each crew only works if both teams playing are out of the area where this Ref crew worked during the season (I hope it makes sense). Basically refs couldn't ref either of 2 teams before the Final. So if enough of the teams from your area will make the finals, some crews may not get the game at all. So refs from La City or San Diego will be moved to Southern section in this case.
I don't think semifinals makes much difference, but assignment for those are very similar to the Final criteria.
I hope my explanation it's not too confusing.

I
I think that based on the current referee shortage there are 3 criteria, but only 2 of them need to be met:
1. Have a pulse.
2. Available.
3. Properly Certified.
and the ref for our game had to live in the hometown. I had never heard of a hometown ref until I witnessed it.

I

and the ref for our game had to live in the hometown. I had never heard of a hometown ref until I witnessed it.
I am assuming that your team lost and it is all the referees fault they lost. There is someone from the referee association or an assessor at all of these playoff games.

I

HS referees are not allowed to officiate any games for a school that they or any member of their family attended. If your team lost, it was not the fault of the referee. Your team probably did not score enough goals or played poor defense. Don't blame the referee for the loss.

S
HS referees are not allowed to officiate any games for a school that they or any member of their family attended. If your team lost, it was not the fault of the referee. Your team probably did not score enough goals or played poor defense. Don't blame the referee for the loss.
Stop making sense. It is easier to blame the ref then taking personal responsibility and acceptping they were not good enough that day.

nope, there was definitely an issue. We outplayed the team but in the end they won because more balls in the net. I do concede that but we had 4 club coaches from different clubs shaking their heads at the calls that were made. My opinion was based on comments from those coaches and what I observed. Stand by my comment.

nope, there was definitely an issue. We outplayed the team but in the end they won because more balls in the net. I do concede that but we had 4 club coaches from different clubs shaking their heads at the calls that were made. My opinion was based on comments from those coaches and what I observed. Stand by my comment.

I was not there, so don’t know what actually happened. Most club coaches have received little to no training on the LOTG. I trust the scoreboard operator‘s opinion on the referee decisions about as much as a club coach’s opinion. I have just heard far to many parents and coaches bitch that the referee lost them the game. Only, to watch video of the game or to have actually been there and the referee actually called a good game.

I was not there, so don’t know what actually happened. Most club coaches have received little to no training on the LOTG. I trust the scoreboard operator‘s opinion on the referee decisions about as much as a club coach’s opinion. I have just heard far to many parents and coaches bitch that the referee lost them the game. Only, to watch video of the game or to have actually been there and the referee actually called a good game.
Normally referee is only 50% correct, since 1 team is winning.
Now, when winning team is not happy, than referee really screwed up.

And there is a chance the truth is somewhere in the middle, none of us know, but, it hard to give coaches and parents the benefit of the doubt when some complain about everything. Every profession has their bad apples and we've all seen atrocious calls regardless of our knowledge of the LOTG. Of course, most seem to be in the Premier League :).

I don't think the game does many favors for refs. Effectively one ref is supposed to administer a game played across 2 acres by 22 individuals. Combine that with the recent trend to changing laws/interpretations every year and its a tough task. It seems that the handball/handling rules are changing every year if not more often when a particular league issues interpretation mid season. "Unnaturally Bigger" still boggles my mind. Ultimately the LOTG of game are primarily subjective, the framework may be objective, but the calls are subjective. I've watched games live and thought something happened a certain way but rewatched on video and realized that's not what happened.

I will say that our MLS Next refs this year of have been very good. Of all things, they've been spot on when it comes to offside.

And there is a chance the truth is somewhere in the middle, none of us know, but, it hard to give coaches and parents the benefit of the doubt when some complain about everything. Every profession has their bad apples and we've all seen atrocious calls regardless of our knowledge of the LOTG. Of course, most seem to be in the Premier League :).

I don't think the game does many favors for refs. Effectively one ref is supposed to administer a game played across 2 acres by 22 individuals. Combine that with the recent trend to changing laws/interpretations every year and its a tough task. It seems that the handball/handling rules are changing every year if not more often when a particular league issues interpretation mid season. "Unnaturally Bigger" still boggles my mind. Ultimately the LOTG of game are primarily subjective, the framework may be objective, but the calls are subjective. I've watched games live and thought something happened a certain way but rewatched on video and realized that's not what happened.

I will say that our MLS Next refs this year of have been very good. Of all things, they've been spot on when it comes to offside.
Just an observation from a parent (1st) and a referee (2nd, with the disclosure: don't do MLS Next games and not looking for).
Don't take as an offence but Wow, "when it comes to offside" they are good. To me, it sounds like setting pretty low bar for MLS Next refs. Also, I wouldn't rate referring in MLS Next as "this year of have been very good". It's OK but definitely not "very good".

Just an observation from a parent (1st) and a referee (2nd, with the disclosure: don't do MLS Next games and not looking for).
Don't take as an offence but Wow, "when it comes to offside" they are good. To me, it sounds like setting pretty low bar for MLS Next refs. Also, I wouldn't rate referring in MLS Next as "this year of have been very good". It's OK but definitely not "very good".
No offence taken, but I think your reading too much into my use of adjectives. Let me rephrase, if you want to see high quality reffing, the MLS Next refs fit that bill. I think a lot of that comes from the fact they seem to be better prepared...as they should be. I think they same thing about Pro refs and then sometimes wonder when I see them in action.

Back