2010 Discovery NPL Canceled

Maybe that was before they made the change to fields for this year. Last year - all of our games were in oceanside or del mar. The drive every weekend sucked. This was for a 2007 team. Maybe the 2010 coaches/parents realized that they'd rather play home/away games at local fields and roll the dice on the competition level. 2010 are in 7th grade right?

Valid point, from the parent side the drive at $6 a gallon is taking a toll. Could it also be that Socal couldnt meet the benefits of Discovery at the younger age groups. The whole purpose of Discovery was to give a showcase type environment for athletes. They probably realized that they cannot get college scouts to come and watch U-littles playing in SilverLakes. There was a time when it was just Flight 1 Champion and Flight 1 Europa. Just keep it simple and make Champions a promo/relegation bracket. Top 2 from Europa go to Champion. Bottom 2 from Champion go back to Europa

Valid point, from the parent side the drive at $6 a gallon is taking a toll. Could it also be that Socal couldnt meet the benefits of Discovery at the younger age groups. The whole purpose of Discovery was to give a showcase type environment for athletes. They probably realized that they cannot get college scouts to come and watch U-littles playing in SilverLakes. There was a time when it was just Flight 1 Champion and Flight 1 Europa. Just keep it simple and make Champions a promo/relegation bracket. Top 2 from Europa go to Champion. Bottom 2 from Champion go back to Europa
What I "Discovered" after having on 07 kid in "Discovery" for a year- there are no college scouts at any of these games to "Discover" anything.
It's glorified flight 1.

I reached out to SoCal directly and was told there were only (4) Teams that applied for Discovery. I have a hard time believing that. This is the biggest and best market in the country. They easily could find (8) more clubs to create the league.
I don't buy that answer either. I know from direct conversions with people there would have been more than 4.

For sure I know
Blues x 2
Slammers
Strikers (before the whole ECR/NL debacle)

And I can only assume CDA, Beach, maybe TFA at the least would have been in the mix

Reviving this old thread, just out of curiosity...

Friend passed on this link for the NPL teams for the upcoming season, and surprisingly, nothing listed (to date) for G2010 NPL teams.

I know NPL was abandoned for 2010 (both boys and girls if I am not mistaken) this past due to lack of interest allegedly (at least on the girls side), though many I talked too refuted that that was the true reason.

Any of you guys have intel on this?? No go for the girls again? Or are they still working through the teams??

I have causally glanced over some of the recent tournaments and there seems to be quite a few teams that are listing as NPL, or pre NPL... so I would assume there is enough interest.

Back