2010 Discovery NPL Canceled

Would like to know if anyone has any legitimate feedback about why the 2010 Discovery NPL was canceled? Did any other age groups get canceled? How can the season be salvaged (silver lining?) Is there a big difference in competition between flight 1 and Discovery athletes/teams?
I've heard the rising gas costs and Silverlakes charges but every other age group makes it happen.
Why didn’t SoCal soccer offer Discovery league games at the Clubs home fields before canceling the season? They only extended the deadline to apply and nothing more, which is very disappointing…
Would love some constructive feedback on this.
Thanks

Attachments

• DBFC4C24-71D7-4F7B-9189-64CE6A633D5E.jpeg
    DBFC4C24-71D7-4F7B-9189-64CE6A633D5E.jpeg
    232 KB · Views: 103
It's about time for coaches and parents to get smart about Discovery level at such a young age. Discovery should start at the high school age years. The same should apply with ECNL/RL. Why have ECNL for 6th/7th grades.

Since the "canceled Discovery teams" moved Flight 1, would not this be the same competition level? This is a better deal.
I heard it is true, not enough team applied.
Jokingly, I told them SOCAL should change "Flight 1" to "Discovery" to satisfy the parents and move up Flight 2 teams to Flight 1.
Same principles right? just different levels of play, the name does not matter.

Since the "canceled Discovery teams" moved Flight 1, would not this be the same competition level? This is a better deal.
Jokingly, I told them SOCAL should change "Flight 1" to "Discovery" to satisfy the parents and move up Flight 2 teams to Flight 1.

Same fees?

I’m so confused… below is the list of teams that announced they were doing Discovery / NPL that I’m aware of.. I’m pretty sure I’m missing a few from this list too…

1. Ole
  2. Slammers Whittier
  3. Slammers HB
  4. SoCal Blues
  5. Rebels IE
  6. Fury FC
  7. SoCal Elite
  8. TFA OC
  9. TFA SGV
  10. Arsenal West SGV
  11. Legends SCV
  12. Sand and Surf

I don’t know but that seems like enough teams to make a discovery league…

While we’re at it, just rename all of comp as “Premier”, “Elite“, “Super-elite”, “Pre-EPL”, and ”Galacticos”.

None of those confusing numbers that way. And it keeps the parents flattered enough that we keep writing the checks.

Great way to look at this situation. However, Flight 1 will be regional and a solid Discovery team will not get to play all other Discovery teams in league play. Sadly we will have to wait until State Cup or play the guessing game with tournaments.

I’m so confused… below is the list of teams that announced they were doing Discovery / NPL that I’m aware of.. I’m pretty sure I’m missing a few from this list too…

1. Ole
  2. Slammers Whittier
  3. Slammers HB
  4. SoCal Blues
  5. Rebels IE
  6. Fury FC
  7. SoCal Elite
  8. TFA OC
  9. TFA SGV
  10. Arsenal West SGV
  11. Legends SCV
  12. Sand and Surf

Healthy amount of teams and clubs. How did you get this list?
Thank you for the information as well

no thanks. So glad ecnl is starting now… couldn’t handle 1 more year of watered down flight 1 soccer

Hope your kid gets 100% scholarship in college Luis Andrade. You have been very vocal of ECNL or bust mentality. Hope you are not taking out loans to pay for all those showcases for 10 year olds

no thanks. So glad ecnl is starting now… couldn’t handle 1 more year of watered down flight 1 soccer
Don’t get your hopes up. It takes a couple years for the best players to migrate to ECNL teams. There will be a lot of blowouts until you get to the high school ages when most of the teams start to get settled.

1. Ole
  2. Slammers Whittier
  3. Slammers HB
  4. SoCal Blues
  5. Rebels IE
  6. Fury FC
  7. SoCal Elite
  8. TFA OC
  9. TFA SGV
  10. Arsenal West SGV
  11. Legends SCV
  12. Sand and Surf

So the SoCal Blues had 2 Discovery teams. Now half the Flight 1 teams will be SoCal Blues - I think it will be 5 Flight 1 Blues teams. During Spring league the Discovery team's only competition was the other Discovery teams. The flight 1 teams got blown out. Based on your list, I am not seeing why it's being canceled.

So the SoCal Blues had 2 Discovery teams. Now half the Flight 1 teams will be SoCal Blues - I think it will be 5 Flight 1 Blues teams. During Spring league the Discovery team's only competition was the other Discovery teams. The flight 1 teams got blown out. Based on your list, I am not seeing why it's being canceled.
Connecting the dots, it really feels as if SoCal soccer punted on the 2010 Discovery league and didn’t want to put any effort into launching this league. Pretty pathetic considering how badly they failed last year.
They made so many promises to lure most clubs to them and keep on failing on so many levels.

Connecting the dots, it really feels as if SoCal soccer punted on the 2010 Discovery league and didn’t want to put any effort into launching this league. Pretty pathetic considering how badly they failed last year.
They made so many promises to lure most clubs to them and keep on failing on so many levels.
They did make some positive changes for this year. Maybe not for the 2010 age group, but....
For HS aged teams-
No saturday games in October to let players attend homecoming games
Discovery will be home and away games instead of all games at oceanside or silverlakes
HS aged teams will be completed in the Fall (no spring carryover).
I think there are a few more, but these are the items I recall.

They did make some positive changes for this year. Maybe not for the 2010 age group, but....
For HS aged teams-
No saturday games in October to let players attend homecoming games
Discovery will be home and away games instead of all games at oceanside or silverlakes
HS aged teams will be completed in the Fall (no spring carryover).
I think there are a few more, but these are the items I recall.
I guess I’m stuck on the 2010 birth year and didn’t look at the big picture

I reached out to SoCal directly and was told there were only (4) Teams that applied for Discovery. I have a hard time believing that. This is the biggest and best market in the country. They easily could find (8) more clubs to create the league.

I reached out to SoCal directly and was told there were only (4) Teams that applied for Discovery. I have a hard time believing that. This is the biggest and best market in the country. They easily could find (8) more clubs to create the league.
Yeah, I’m not buying that answer

Maybe that was before they made the change to fields for this year. Last year - all of our games were in oceanside or del mar. The drive every weekend sucked. This was for a 2007 team. Maybe the 2010 coaches/parents realized that they'd rather play home/away games at local fields and roll the dice on the competition level. 2010 are in 7th grade right?

Back