You call it 2

Q10

BRONZE
Is it harder to ref U-littles?

Not sure what your post means as you don't describe what happened after the video ended. All we see is defender being pulled down by the arm and all play stopping. And lucky we can see this at all with the quality of the video.

Is it harder to ref U-littles?

Yes, harder to referee Ulittles in my opinion. But I'm not sure the above game qualifies, to be honest. What age group is this video from? U11? U12? Also, as the post above references, we don't exactly know what you're getting at.

In this video, there was a clear foul, and it was whistled. Was it misconduct and deserving of a yellow card? Up to the referee really. For me, it depends. There's a talking-to coming for sure, but issuing a yellow card depends on what has happened before, the temperature of the match, and the skill level of the players. Was it just an isolated incident of frustration, or something that had been brewing? Etc. This type of foul is not so common at Ulittle level, and much more visible in the olders. In the Ulittles, I wouldn't show the yellow card. But even in the olders, where this foul might be much more inflammatory, I wouldn't necessarily classify it as misconduct.

Back to your original question, I do think Ulittles are harder to referee as there is can be a big difference in skill level and experience. Additionally, there is still a degree of clumsiness, and, when mixed with inexperience, there can be a number of shockingly bad challenges. Generally speaking, I like to deal with younger players with a stern talking-to, which is why I would lean towards no card for your video. Just my onions, though.

Video shows up fine for me? The thread title says "you call it" a play on a previous thread, indicating that you can opine at will. As for details, the FORWARD gets pulled down tracking back for a ball by the arm. You can hear the whistle so obviously play is stopped....now your turn, what is the call. These are littles so intent is usually not malicious, but is this card worthy? As you can see the foul is pretty obvious, but is it egregious (sp?)? Is this called different because they are U10?

Just a thought - perhaps the reason the defender acts this way is because she has never been shown a yellow card.

Reactions: Q10
Am I missing something....isn't it the attacker that fouls the defender? Appears to me it was hardly a tactical foul at all, but an attacking player grabbing the defender with two hands and swinging her to the ground out of pure frustration for getting beat by the defender. I think its probably deserving of a yellow.

Am I missing something....isn't it the attacker that fouls the defender? Appears to me it was hardly a tactical foul at all, but an attacking player grabbing the defender with two hands and swinging her to the ground out of pure frustration for getting beat by the defender. I think its probably deserving of a yellow.

Good point.

Am I missing something....isn't it the attacker that fouls the defender? Appears to me it was hardly a tactical foul at all, but an attacking player grabbing the defender with two hands and swinging her to the ground out of pure frustration for getting beat by the
defender. I think its probably deserving of a yellow.

It is hard to tell because I cut the video short to try and not show too many little girls faces, but what had happened was that a pass was deflected and the blue team forward tracked back to regain possession before the red player could intercept. In essence they were both going for a "loose ball" so to say. So it was actually a forward who was fouled in her own half. There were 2 blue team defenders still to beat had the red team gained possession without a foul.

This is an older video so the girls have long since played many more games and have more experience now. Some are likely not even on the same team. It was more of a question.... do these types of fouls get called differently because of age? I mean the girl that got fouled caught her breath and bounced back up, the girl who did the foul felt really bad and cried.... so what does a ref do as opposed to what should a ref do....and does that change when they are 12, or 15?

It is hard to tell because I cut the video short to try and not show too many little girls faces, but what had happened was that a pass was deflected and the blue team forward tracked back to regain possession before the red player could intercept. In essence they were both going for a "loose ball" so to say. So it was actually a forward who was fouled in her own half. There were 2 blue team defenders still to beat had the red team gained possession without a foul.

Understood. I was thinking attacker/defender not based on a formal positional sense but in the sense of where the play was on the field and direction of play.

The girl definitely knew what she was doing. but as was previously mentioned, it depends on the situation as to whether I card that. I'm leaning towards very likely I would.

As for u-littles being harder to ref..... it's usually harder to ref less skilled players. so in general, yes, but i have also had younger games with VERY skillful players.

The girl definitely knew what she was doing. but as was previously mentioned, it depends on the situation as to whether I card that. I'm leaning towards very likely I would.

As for u-littles being harder to ref..... it's usually harder to ref less skilled players. so in general, yes, but i have also had younger games with VERY skillful players.
A related question. Obviously two yellows in the same game get you rejected. However, in SCDSL/ECNL/DA do you get penalized and must sit out the next game after accumulating x number of yellow cards in league play?

This was a funny video. This type of play is usually seen in a boys 13+ game. Seeing it in a girls game that looks like 10 year olds is just ridiculous hahah.

This was a funny video. This type of play is usually seen in a boys 13+ game. Seeing it in a girls game that looks like 10 year olds is just ridiculous hahah.

It was shocking for sure. The entire sideline, both sides did a collective, "whoa!" Wasn't nearly as funny for the girl who got fouled.

Why are people shocked by this? It’s the game of soccer. This is a contact sport, it’s not basketball. There is pulling and pushing at all ages. Sure, you likely wouldn’t see this in a rec AYSO game but in competitive club soccer, it’s not that unusual, even at younger ages.

And it’s a yellow card for sure. The age doesn’t matter; players need to learn what the consequences of certain fouls are and this kind of foul should be a yellow pretty much every time. If it’s a minor tug of the jersey, potentially no yellow. But for holding the arm and pulling someone down in such an obvious way, yellow for me.

If she cried because she felt bad, she must be an amazing actor. That wasn't a careless foul, she pulled the other girl's arm! I'm with Espola, she knew what she was doing and likely hadn't been carded yet.

Yellow card. Intentional pulling of the arm (quite hard I should add). Shouldn't matter whether it's girls or boys, U9 or U18.

That was clearly a tactical foul and a yellow card. Some of you may not like what I am going to say but here it goes. If I was her coach, I would have been okay with the foul and the card because it stopped the blue team from gaining a possession with players in position to start an attack. It also stopped the game and allowed the red team to set up to more easily defend an attack. At that age, if I am the coach, I would talk to the player and tell her next time to just grab the jersey or hold the arm and not pull the player down. Both of those would have had the desired effect of having a foul called and the game stopped so the red team could regroup. I know it does not sound like good sportsmanship, but it is good gamesmanship.

Back