Yellow card clarification

Discussion in 'C'mon Ref!' started by sweeperkeeper, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Surfref

Surfref Silver Elite

Ratings:
    +1,888 / 21
    I will probably have a massive fight on the field and have to issue multiple red cards and call the police. Karma can be a bitch and I should have kept my mouth shut.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  2. jrcaesar

jrcaesar Silver

Ratings:
    +299 / 10
    I can only think of 2 cards I've shown for fronting the ball the past couple U14 seasons. One was a free kick near the 18' that a team was attempting to take quickly and a defender ran in to stop it, the other was after I told a kid standing there I needed 10 yards and he told me he didn't know how far that was and just kept standing there.

• Like Like x 2
  3. TangoCity

TangoCity Silver

Ratings:
    +601 / 12
    I find it rather funny when I see a referee step off 10 yards on a turf football field with all the yard markings for a kick not taken at a big angle and he/she barely makes it to seven yards. Why not just use the field markings. Or a kick taken at the top of the 18 box, why not just go two yards above the six box and make a slight adjustment if the kick is out a little wide.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. coachrefparent

coachrefparent Silver

Ratings:
    +597 / 18
    Probably because all the parents would go ape $h!t that the referee didn't march it off.

5. Monkey

Monkey Bronze

Ratings:
    +303 / 6
    Because refs with all their digits can count to ten, but we all know that they are too stupid to add. J/K

6. Surfref

Surfref Silver Elite

Ratings:
    +1,888 / 21
    I never walk off 10 yards. I know how far 10 yards are and just go to my 10 yards and move the players. I rarely have anyone (coaches, players or parents) question my 10 yards. I have had a few refs tell me my 10 yards was too far. So, I marked my 10 yards and had another ref step it off. He was about 6 inches short of my spot. Most refs do not step off a yard and are usually short of a yard. We did a exersice at RPD a few years ago where refs were told to mark off 10 yards. 70 percent of the refs were at least 2 yards short. 10 yards is actually further than most people think. I had a National referee and National assessor who taught me to not walk walk it off.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. GunninGopher

GunninGopher

Ratings:
    +253 / 1
    Most referees do 10 steps, which will be 4' - 5' short of 30' for an average height adult male.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. baldref

baldref Silver

Ratings:
    +544 / 5
    i play golf. I know how far ten yards is. :p

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. Zdrone

Zdrone Bronze

Ratings:
    +117 / 0
    Sorry but most men are terrible at measuring

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Tea and Busquets

Tea and Busquets Bronze

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Dissent, maybe? It sounds, though, like the referee might have mixed up defenders and booked your son instead of the other kid. Maybe the foul was judged to have stopped a promising attack, but with two defenders, it wasn't a DOGSO situation.

11. twoclubpapa

twoclubpapa Bronze

Ratings:
    +45 / 0
    I agree, these fields make it easy. I just apply what I learned in trigonometry to mentally calculate the proper yardline for a 10 yard hypotenuse towards the goal from the spot of the kick. Maybe I'll ask a player to do the trig problem sometime. :)

Actually, my impression is that some players are completely oblivious to the "pointy-ball football" markings. I sometimes get an uncomprehending look when I say the kick is at the 35 or the throw-in is at the 20.

• Agree Agree x 1