Wynalda Perspective on US Soccer

Whatever gobbly goop let's you sleep at night. Racism is racism and it's wrong + now you're adding nepotism into the mix.

DEI is garbage + just racism in a different form.

Getting back to the original topic. The reason why soccer sucks in America is because it's not the #1 sport in the nation. (Football is)

Your not wrong. It sucks. But Grace T. is just pointing out the reality we currently live in. Institutions create categories and make decisions based on race, ethncity, sex, gender, sexual orrientation, econimic status, social status, citizenship status, etc.., ironically, all in the name of equality. Being honest with ourselves about how admissions really work can help form a stratgy.

Your not wrong. It sucks. But Grace T. is just pointing out the reality we currently live in. Institutions create categories and make decisions based on race, ethncity, sex, gender, sexual orrientation, econimic status, social status, citizenship status, etc.., ironically, all in the name of equality. Being honest with ourselves about how admissions really work can help form a stratgy.
Good luck Code. I would also add STFU as well. You MUST obey those in charge with the decisions. Mr. Wynalda is right about much. My dd played his dd club many times and beat them in the Far West Finals. He was a class act and his dd played hard all the time.

Last edited:
Best way to get into the college of your choice, assuming you have reasonable grades, is to write an essay about how you're from a "discriminated" group and how you have overcome the nearly insurmountable obstacles inherent to being a minority to become successful.

A woke essay works too. In my daughter's English class, when they were working on their college essays, the essay example they were given was about a kid that was anti-war but had an internship at defense company and how he was conflicted about the job. However, after lecturing his boss about the evils of war, he came to terms with his employment. Ya know because he spoke out like a good social justice warrior should.

Best way to get into the college of your choice, assuming you have reasonable grades, is to write an essay about how you're from a "discriminated" group and how you have overcome the nearly insurmountable obstacles inherent to being a minority to become successful.

A woke essay works too. In my daughter's English class, when they were working on their college essays, the essay example they were given was about a kid that was anti-war but had an internship at defense company and how he was conflicted about the job. However, after lecturing his boss about the evils of war, he came to terms with his employment. Ya know because he spoke out like a good social justice warrior should.
Is that how the essay was described?

Essays will help applicants if the essays moves readers in a positive manner and reveals the ability to think. It has been that way since we were applying, and that's a long time ago. Whether an essay is woke or not does not matter, it is how well it was written that matters.

The subject matter and content is not as important (unless it's something so extremely bad as supporting Hitler and his genocide policies) as the ability to move readers.

The Costco essay is probably the best example of what makes a good essay. Reader enjoys reading it, but is also able to get insight into writer's complex thinking and writing capabilities.

That essay @watfly reference sounds fun to read. If he writes it poorly, he'd get a bad score. If he writes it well, he'll get a good score. It's not the content or point of view, but it's the quality of the writing.

If you write a boring essay, even if you write about world peace and all the woke issues in the world, it lets the readers know that you are not a complex thinker.

It was how it was written, except the last sentence which was my editorial comment.

I guess you have a different definition of a "social justice warrior" than I do. Or is that just one of those vacuous shorthand substitutions for "someone I don't like"?

It was how it was written, except the last sentence which was my editorial comment.
My friend from HS helps students write their essays on why their bad luck should should be the reason to be admitted. 100%, the more woke you can write, the better chance. She knows the woke biz better than anyone I know and knows how to write it all out.

Essays will help applicants if the essays moves readers in a positive manner and reveals the ability to think. It has been that way since we were applying, and that's a long time ago. Whether an essay is woke or not does not matter, it is how well it was written that matters.

The subject matter and content is not as important (unless it's something so extremely bad as supporting Hitler and his genocide policies) as the ability to move readers.

The Costco essay is probably the best example of what makes a good essay. Reader enjoys reading it, but is also able to get insight into writer's complex thinking and writing capabilities.

That essay @watfly reference sounds fun to read. If he writes it poorly, he'd get a bad score. If he writes it well, he'll get a good score. It's not the content or point of view, but it's the quality of the writing.

If you write a boring essay, even if you write about world peace and all the woke issues in the world, it lets the readers know that you are not a complex thinker.
Back in my day, I wrote an essay as requested "about an event in your life". I wrote about a ski race. Must have been good enough -- I got the scholarship.

Back in my day, I wrote an essay as requested "about an event in your life". I wrote about a ski race. Must have been good enough -- I got the scholarship.
I was thinking maybe you would have written about your time at "Youth Church Camp."

If you are applying for a top 40 school, however, most of the essays have good writing. The kids have all held at least an honors class or two. The teachers and/or counselors have been through the essay with their markups, and if the parents can afford advisors they've been into it. So, the default is whether the content actually grabs the reader, which is somewhat subjective to the reader.

If you are applying for a top 40 school, however, most of the essays havjuste good writing. The kids have all held at least an honors class or two. The teachers and/or counselors have been through the essay with their markups, and if the parents can afford advisors they've been into it. So, the default is whether the content actually grabs the reader, which is somewhat subjective to the reader.
With that argument, everyone is the same and there's no answer in how to admit students.

I will disagree on writing. I've seen essays go through the same process as you indicated above, and they come off as such, mediocre. The ability to move readers is a gift, not everyone has. That's why there's the essay portion, for colleges to look at a different aspect of an applicant.

I see two people write about the same topic and be just as academically inclined, but one essay is clearly better because of the ability to relay complex thoughts to it's readers in an enjoyable manner while the other is just an essay that must be read.

With that argument, everyone is the same and there's no answer in how to admit students.

I will disagree on writing. I've seen essays go through the same process as you indicated above, and they come off as such, mediocre. The ability to move readers is a gift, not everyone has. That's why there's the essay portion, for colleges to look at a different aspect of an applicant.

I see two people write about the same topic and be just as academically inclined, but one essay is clearly better because of the ability to relay complex thoughts to it's readers in an enjoyable manner while the other is just an essay that must be read.
Math majors that are less comfortable with English wouldn’t get in to top 40. Not to mention foreign students Esl. Yet we know both happen.

I agree even in the top 40 there are hemmingways that can move to tears and rise above the pack. It’s a function of both content and style, however, and are a rarity at that level since the majority at that level is “good” so you are sorting the genius from the good. However as the music student in my example shows at that level even good style may not be enough if the content is mismatched.

I guess you have a different definition of a "social justice warrior" than I do. Or is that just one of those vacuous shorthand substitutions for "someone I don't like"?

I recommended being an oppressed, skinny male in a blue dress that overcomes the odds by being a woman for 365 days and drinking Bud Light. Unfortunately, someone beat me to the idea.

If you are applying for a top 40 school, however, most of the essays have good writing. The kids have all held at least an honors class or two. The teachers and/or counselors have been through the essay with their markups, and if the parents can afford advisors they've been into it. So, the default is whether the content actually grabs the reader, which is somewhat subjective to the reader.
Talk to a current college student, and you will soon discover that ChatGPT will be doing most of the "writing" of college entrance essays for the foreseeable future.

Talk to a current college student, and you will soon discover that ChatGPT will be doing most of the "writing" of college entrance essays for the foreseeable future.

Not if they want to get in. At least here in April 2023, there are plenty of tools that can effectively determine whether an AI bot was used to craft an essay. It's not foolproof, but it's still surprisingly effective in identifying passages, phrases, and similar portions of writing and determining whether or not it was human-written. Any essay that flags high on these is going to be treated with suspicion by any admissions review that has access to these same tools. Think of it as anti-plagiarism version 2.0.

Perhaps the discussion in 2025, 2030, or 2050 will be different, and continuous optimization and improvement results in an AI that cannot be differentiated from human writing, and for this to happen the same optimizations and improvement on the detection side would have to have fallen behind. But we're not there yet.

I've tried out ChatGPT a couple times and I have to say I wasn't very impressed, seemed like it spewed a lot of generalities and repeated concepts. Now that could have just been a function of my inputs. Garbage in, garbage out.

Math majors that are less comfortable with English wouldn’t get in to top 40. Not to mention foreign students Esl. Yet we know both happen.

I agree even in the top 40 there are hemmingways that can move to tears and rise above the pack. It’s a function of both content and style, however, and are a rarity at that level since the majority at that level is “good” so you are sorting the genius from the good. However as the music student in my example shows at that level even good style may not be enough if the content is mismatched.
That argument is flawed because not every math major writes the same way and math majors differ in their ability to write. If a college must choose between two final applicants: Given two math majors with the same test scores, same grades, same extracurricular points, and same academic vigor - the one with the better essay will get the advantage (in theory).

The essay is just one of many tools for colleges to differentiate the thousands of applicants.

Back