WWC 2023

L
This is from an article on yahoo sports about his termination that shows just how delusional US Soccer is. (Crocker is the sporting director)

Next, Crocker will dive into the coaching search. And if his first search at U.S. Soccer is any indication, it will be a thorough one. After rehiring Gregg Berhalter as U.S. men’s national team boss in June, Crocker and the federation boasted about “multifaceted evaluation mechanisms” and “cutting-edge hiring methods” within a “rigorous process.”

What a load of crap.
[/QUOTE
Markgraf is now gone too. Let’s see if Cone steps down also.
Markgraf is now gone too. Let’s see if Cone steps down also.

High risk high reward strategy. College is very much the conservative route. Question every parent needs to ask (since kids are too young to make those types of decisions, as we've discussed in other contexts) is am I gambler and do I want to gamble my kid. Yes, there's stuff they can do to control the outcome: if the kid is high skilled, high IQ, high dedication, high training. Still, as anyone whose encountered an ACL tear can tell you, you can't control for everything. Still, without the dreamers, life would be boring.....
I think the “gamble” is that it can be more difficult to teach and develop the life skills to become a resilient adult when a child takes a less traveled path. It can easily become too much focus on the prize and not enough on developing into a competent, content adult. Of course, there are plenty of children who take a conventional route and still don’t develop these skills.

Something else to consider. Beyond the soccer, or whatever passion that is being pursed, there are also opportunities to gain confidence and perspective not available to those on the well-worn path.

I’m not advocating for one or the other. As Luis points out, to each their own.

I think the “gamble” is that it can be more difficult to teach and develop the life skills to become a resilient adult when a child takes a less traveled path. It can easily become too much focus on the prize and not enough on developing into a competent, content adult. Of course, there are plenty of children who take a conventional route and still don’t develop these skills.

Something else to consider. Beyond the soccer, or whatever passion that is being pursed, there are also opportunities to gain confidence and perspective not available to those on the well-worn path.

I’m not advocating for one or the other. As Luis points out, to each their own.

What I know about life is that you have to go "all in" on anything you do if you want to be the best + do it professionally.

Learned this lesson back in college when I was playing in bands. I played in bars on weekends, had a job at night during the week, + took classes during the day. I'd rub elbows with people that took music seriously + that's all they'd do. When you're living out of your car or in the rehearsal space + if your next meal comes from the bands success or failure you either get good or you starve.

The same concept applies to sports at the highest levels. If you want to be the best + do it professionally you have to go all in. The good thing about going all in is that you'll quickly discover if playing professionally is something you can do.

What I know about life is that you have to go "all in" on anything you do if you want to be the best + do it professionally.

Learned this lesson back in college when I was playing in bands. I played in bars on weekends, had a job at night during the week, + took classes during the day. I'd rub elbows with people that took music seriously + that's all they'd do. When you're living out of your car or in the rehearsal space + if your next meal comes from the bands success or failure you either get good or you starve.

The same concept applies to sports at the highest levels. If you want to be the best + do it professionally you have to go all in. The good thing about going all in is that you'll quickly discover if playing professionally is something you can do.
BTW the "going all in" concept is why the USWNT crapped out.

GA + ECNL + even College Soccer aren't true Soccer Academies. College Soccer is the closest but only because there's 1 team for players attending 4 years of college.

A true Soccer Academy focuses on Soccer and that's it. Players go to "class" which is all Soccer theory and tactics + for the rest of the day they practice and play soccer. If you're good you stay if your bad you go. That's it there's no in-between.

100%. If you all recall how much heat I got a few years ago for my gung-ho approach to training and technical development when my DD was younger. Many of you said she would burn out and be quitting by 13. I took a gamble back then and it paid off. She is now more motivated than ever to train and fight for her dreams & goals. She decided to pull out of ECNL and I’m supporting her decision. It’s about her and not about her friends. She gets it. She will play MLS next with boys this season, first because she earned her spot in making the team & because she found a whole new world of connecting with the ball that was not present in a girls team.

On the girls side she had become a great individual player that can create on her own to score and assist. But she realized that in order to learn how to play the right type of soccer that will be effective at the higher levels, she would need to be around players that can connect the ball at her level and have the right ideas in moving with and without the ball. I believe she will be the only girl playing MLS next in So Cal this next season. Now that the Thompson sisters have graduated from the league. Having a few tournaments under her belt she is doing great so far because the system that she trains now is a perfect fit for her technical skill set, speed of play and explosive acceleration that she has. She can run 30m sprint in 4.16 seconds which is phenomenal for a girl. She is a “total football” system type of player that comes from a background of having played in every position on the pitch. She loves to play fast and move the ball in a possession style manner. However she would not do well in a direct and physical boys team because the ball would move to slow and she would get quickly out powered by strong teenage boys. If she were to play in a direct system she would need to go back to ecnl.

100%. If you all recall how much heat I got a few years ago for my gung-ho approach to training and technical development when my DD was younger. Many of you said she would burn out and be quitting by 13. I took a gamble back then and it paid off. She is now more motivated than ever to train and fight for her dreams & goals. She decided to pull out of ECNL and I’m supporting her decision. It’s about her and not about her friends. She gets it. She will play MLS next with boys this season, first because she earned her spot in making the team & because she found a whole new world of connecting with the ball that was not present in a girls team.

On the girls side she had become a great individual player that can create on her own to score and assist. But she realized that in order to learn how to play the right type of soccer that will be effective at the higher levels, she would need to be around players that can connect the ball at her level and have the right ideas in moving with and without the ball. I believe she will be the only girl playing MLS next in So Cal this next season. Now that the Thompson sisters have graduated from the league. Having a few tournaments under her belt she is doing great so far because the system that she trains now is a perfect fit for her technical skill set, speed of play and explosive acceleration that she has. She can run 30m sprint in 4.16 seconds which is phenomenal for a girl. She is a “total football” system type of player that comes from a background of having played in every position on the pitch. She loves to play fast and move the ball in a possession style manner. However she would not do well in a direct and physical boys team because the ball would move to slow and she would get quickly out powered by strong teenage boys. If she were to play in a direct system she would need to go back to ecnl.
Know exactly what you're talking about. Mine plays with a boys team every Friday. ;-) Not MLS Next but a competitive group.

Boys move faster then girls + are stronger + take more risks. Being able to play with a boys team + being exposed to a different style of play is a secret weapon for girls.

ESPANA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1-0

Great game. England didn't show up until the 2nd half..and even then they didn't play all that great. England GK came up huge on the 2nd half PK.
Kept them in the game with that save, otherwise it would've been over if Spain got that 2nd goal.

U-17, U-20, and now the Big One. Nice

ESPANA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1-0

Great game. England didn't show up until the 2nd half..and even then they didn't play all that great. England GK came up huge on the 2nd half PK.
Kept them in the game with that save, otherwise it would've been over if Spain got that 2nd goal.

U-17, U-20, and now the Big One. Nice
I'd say their youth systems is working eh? I didn't know they had u17, u20 until they said it this morning on the broadcast. When will we(USA) get it right?

Women peaking in their 20's physically and skills wise? Where did you hear that load of sh.. I completely disagree. Girls finish developing much faster than boys. If they are 14/15 and did not get the skills and touch needed to play at the highest level they are done... They will never develop the skills and proper touch after that. After puberty most girls go south if they did not develop before...
I said they peak later. They also develope earlier. Search "when do women physically peak" and you will see 30's vs men late 20s.

It is my experience, girls develop before boys, but few "get" the game until later. I've officiated hundreds of games of many ages. It is not the same.

Women do things in 20s they could not do in teens. I've been told that by WNT players. My daughter told me that. The coach of the 2010 College Cup champs that recruited her told me that.

Other data:
There are no male cycling time trial World Champions in their 40s. There are multiple women world champions 40+.

To soccer - why keep such an old team if the kids can do as well?
WNT average age is 30+
MNT average age is 25.

... or truly WANT to do.

I was a little off -- through the first 56 games (48 group play and 8 round of 16 games) there have been 9 games that ended with a 0-0 score, 13 games at 1-0, and 8 at 2-0. All other scores happened 4 or fewer times. The oddball is the 6-3 score when France beat Panama.
Through all the games, including the third-place game, we ended up with 14 1-0 games, 10 0-0 games, and 8 2-1 games, plus other scores scattered around as noted above.

Someone sees the light....

I've been saying the same thing...

“My feeling is that the U.S. as a nation will have to adapt its expectations around international success in women’s football. It is not that the team are necessarily failing, and it is not just about this team or this coach. For the U.S., there needs to be a bigger conversation about their collegiate system and youth development as well as the NWSL.”

"These systemic problems have left the USWNT “massively short of creative talent,” Hayes wrote. She cited OL Reign and USWNT midfielder Rose Lavelle as one player who has that creativity, though “she’s not always given the platform that a No. 10 would be here in Europe.”

Last edited:
Back