Why USA’S Youth Development Continues To Stagnate

Vin

SILVER
I hear where you are coming from.

My kids have been lucky to have had coaches that trained technical skills and possession play, but I have heard many coaches from the other side of the field yelling to just get the ball forward to have their players run it down.

This usually tends to become less of an issue as the kids get older and any physical advantage of an early bloomer is lost when the other players "catch-up" to them.

It also changes in teams that are higher levels of play. I think the technical teams tend to go further than the teams that only rely on physicality and speed.

There are several reasons:
- Too many useless tournaments that shift the focus from development to just winning
- Lack of futsal focus in most club organizations. We need to get the kids to focus on better and faster touches
- Allow kids get creative, ask them to make moves and think about making creative plays and creative passing.
- Kids don't watch professional soccer. My son had a south American coach that told the kids and parents " these kids are not watching soccer, they need to truly watch and analyze 3 games a week"
- High school is a soccer killer: Kids get to high school and drop soccer for other sports. As parents we need to have our kids playing 2 or 3 sports when they are younger. The ones that truly love soccer will remain playing during high school.
- Not enough breaks for kids. Soccer has become a job by the time these kids get to 13 years of age. How many months off do kids get a year? 4 weeks in the summer and 2 weeks in the winter. That's less than professional athletes.
- MLS needs to pay more, As a parent, I don't want my kid to pursue soccer to earn a minimum salary of $60k in the MLS. MLS needs to get to $100k minimum to make it attractive for our best athletes to play soccer.
- Academies will need to develop kids overseas. We need to get our academies to establish partnerships with academies from Brazil, Colombia, Argentina. We send our best players over to their academies, we send them funding to support their local efforts. They can send their mid-tier players (their best will go to Europe) to our MLS teams. (This is a long shot and probably not well thought out)

Finally, if you saw our recent USMNT games against Brazil, Colombia, and England, it was sad to see the lack of soccer IQ on our side and the creativity from the other teams. Unfortunately we are a good 20 years behind.

All very good points and I agree.
I think the most important one is watching more professional soccer on TV. This leads to better vision on the field. This leads to being more creative. This leads to recognizing off the ball movement. This leads to a better understanding of the laws of the game. And if the commentators do a good job, it can inspire kids by hearing stories of adversity.

I think the most important one is watching more professional soccer on TV. This leads to better vision on the field. This leads to being more creative. This leads to recognizing off the ball movement. This leads to a better understanding of the laws of the game. And if the commentators do a good job, it can inspire kids by hearing stories of adversity.
And it’s fun too.

There are several reasons:
- Too many useless tournaments that shift the focus from development to just winning
- Lack of futsal focus in most club organizations. We need to get the kids to focus on better and faster touches
- Allow kids get creative, ask them to make moves and think about making creative plays and creative passing.
- Kids don't watch professional soccer. My son had a south American coach that told the kids and parents " these kids are not watching soccer, they need to truly watch and analyze 3 games a week"
- High school is a soccer killer: Kids get to high school and drop soccer for other sports. As parents we need to have our kids playing 2 or 3 sports when they are younger. The ones that truly love soccer will remain playing during high school.
- Not enough breaks for kids. Soccer has become a job by the time these kids get to 13 years of age. How many months off do kids get a year? 4 weeks in the summer and 2 weeks in the winter. That's less than professional athletes.
- MLS needs to pay more, As a parent, I don't want my kid to pursue soccer to earn a minimum salary of $60k in the MLS. MLS needs to get to $100k minimum to make it attractive for our best athletes to play soccer.
- Academies will need to develop kids overseas. We need to get our academies to establish partnerships with academies from Brazil, Colombia, Argentina. We send our best players over to their academies, we send them funding to support their local efforts. They can send their mid-tier players (their best will go to Europe) to our MLS teams. (This is a long shot and probably not well thought out)

Finally, if you saw our recent USMNT games against Brazil, Colombia, and England, it was sad to see the lack of soccer IQ on our side and the creativity from the other teams. Unfortunately we are a good 20 years behind.
Yes to all this!

I’d take it one step further. While watching soccer on tv does help, it pales in comparison to going out and watching your local team play in person. Whether it’s an MLS or even a UPSL team, by going to a game a child is able to see the entire field. See how off the ball movement is just as fancy skill moves with the ball. It’s hard to learn the game in all phases of play when a tv camera is only focused on where the ball is.

Our family goes to several Galaxy and LAFC games every year and I’ve had my 17 and 12 (the ones that eat, breathe and sleep Soccer) focus on just watching one player each game. To watch that player when he doesn’t have the ball. See what he does to stay connected with the play, etc... For those that aren’t fortunate enough to have 2 MLS teams in your backyard, go find your local USL, NPSL or UPSL team. Ticket prices are cheap and you get to support your local club.

I’d take it one step further. While watching soccer on tv does help, it pales in comparison to going out and watching your local team play in person. Whether it’s an MLS or even a UPSL team, by going to a game a child is able to see the entire field. See how off the ball movement is just as fancy skill moves with the ball. It’s hard to learn the game in all phases of play when a tv camera is only focused on where the ball is.

Our family goes to several Galaxy and LAFC games every year and I’ve had my 17 and 12 (the ones that eat, breathe and sleep Soccer) focus on just watching one player each game. To watch that player when he doesn’t have the ball. See what he does to stay connected with the play, etc... For those that aren’t fortunate enough to have 2 MLS teams in your backyard, go find your local USL, NPSL or UPSL team. Ticket prices are cheap and you get to support your local club.
I agree being at games is much different. If you go to USL, College Games, MLS, MX and European Pro teams you will see the difference between all of them - especially game speed, tech skill and work rate. Most kids I talk about to do not watch MLS, College or other domestic soccer. Typical answers as to why not include, but not limited to: “boring”, “slow”,”trash”,”don’t know anyone on the teams”,”just turnovers all game”, “donkey touches all game”...

Kids should watch more soccer but average kid isn’t watching any games. I make my kids rewind scoring plays and/or “game changing” game events. They now will always rewind to see if the buildup - will even call me to the room to show me how a bad pass, someone not clearing a ball or weak play on one side of the field leading to goal at other end. Most kids have short memories and more emphasis needs to be placed on analyzing the game even up to a few plays before a score, a corner or shot on goal. Some kids can’t recall what led up to the point you are asking them at half or end of the game. Can’t expect them to record an entire game in their head, but I think it is very important to direct them towards analyzing what happened so they can improve game-time decision making. Kids who show up just to run around hard for 40-90mins to score or defend and call it a day are probably not going to be the most high IQ kids on their teams as they get older. We train kids to be too robotic in the US and many are never required to think for themselves

All great posts and points. Watching games (whether on TV or going to games) is a massive thing and I genuinely think it is hugely underestimated here by many parents and kids (certainly in my experience anyway). You learn to understand the game and the movement of players (particularly off-the-ball) in a way that you simply cannot get by practicing just a few hours a week. When you are practicing, you are not seeing a birds eye view of the field and understanding diagonal runs or positional interchanging for example. You just don't see the field and how successful players use the space so effectively in practice but if you watch a high-level game, it becomes very clear, very quickly. Patterns and team shape are also elements that you pick up by watching games; every time we play a really good team who move the ball around the field with quality, precision and speed, I always say to myself, "they definitely watch and live the game, it's so obvious."

I bang on and on (and on) about this all the time to the kids and parents at our club. Some listen (they are generally the players with the highest game IQ) and some I know it just goes in one ear and out of the other. Those kids don't develop their full soccer potential, simple as that.

Decision making is everything. Combining watching and truly understanding soccer with practicing (both organized and pick-up) and elements like futsal will help to develop an all-round smart decision maker. The more elements you cover, the smarter you will be and again, it is so blatantly obvious when you see this on the field, both from an individual and team perspective.

Kids; turn Fortnite off and go watch some European and South American games on replay...

This kind of thread is old and repetitive to those of us who's been around for awhile but glad it comes up time to time so that new members can chew the fat and regurgitate what's wrong with USY soccer....

PS brings up a point that we rarely discuss on the form, and that's how important it is for kids to watch the game. When our older kid was recruited by a club coach back in U8 or so, the first season he said to my kid and to us that to have him watch as much of professional games as possible. The coach's point then was exactly the same as what Paul describes.

....Watching games (whether on TV or going to games) is a massive thing and I genuinely think it is hugely underestimated here by many parents and kids (certainly in my experience anyway). You learn to understand the game and the movement of players (particularly off-the-ball).....

Decision making is everything. Combining watching and truly understanding soccer with practicing (both organized and pick-up) and elements like futsal will help to develop an all-round smart decision maker....

So we tried but the kid wanted to play more than watch so it didn't happen until much later in the process but it did happen eventually. It took couple of key things to get him interested in watching the game - discover player he liked and find a team to favor. In our kid's case, that was Ronaldinho and Liverpool. He must have watched every video highlights of Ronaldinho at Barca and AC Milan. He almost never missed Liverpool game thereafter too.

Over time, much of the soccer IQ stuff got embedded in this thinking organically between watching games and playing FIFA (actually, it was FIFA first and its through FIFA that he discovered his favorite player). I don't think NBCSports no longer provide this but early on, their app used to provide alternate view of the game being broadcasted - without announcers and close ups. Rather, gave a bird's-eye view of most of the field and could watch the player movements significantly better than the broadcast feed.

Kids, in general, copy actions and moves of superstars that they like and have seen on video. If the kid is very interested in the sports to begin with, he'll work on perfecting the moves for hours and hours. You often see it on the field and everyone goes "wooo" or something like it, when the move is executed in the game. While some may dismiss it as hot dogging it, there's more to it, if the kid actually has worked at it.

We were fortunate with our oder kid, because he always had coaches that emphasized creativity and decision making as the paramount in the games. Its that type of environment that allows any player to develop his own style and way of playing - the very basic of who the player is. It is not to say that the player can be a loose cannon on the field. On the contrary, the player has to play the position responsibly but how its done is the point. And it is that "how" that separates the good players from ordinary players.

So what's wrong with USY soccer? Many answers and opinions with little to no change in actions. I believe there are plenty of great coaches out there. I also believe there are lot more crappy coaches out there too, along with DOCs and club officials. But at the end of the day, the ultimate responsibility of how good we are comes down to the individual players. And yes, coaching interferes with some potentially great players as well as how the game is played but no coach executes plays on the field.

My personal view is that we have too much structure and hierarchy in USY soccer development - in the name of "finding NT players". Didn't we have more success in the 80s and 90s, when we used to qualify for WC and didn't have all the infrastructure to produce the national team? I'm not suggesting we go back to the way of those days but I do believe we have beaten the dead horse for quite some time.....

And yes, coaching interferes with some potentially great players as well as how the game is played but no coach executes plays on the field.
Spot on. And this is why we have to help nurture great decision makers. I spent this past weekend again listening to 3 or 4 different coaches literally calling every pass or 'play' from the sideline. It's laughable and infuriating at the same time but so common in youth soccer.

Far too many players I see (and I include some from our club who I have coached for a number of years) simply do not understand the game. Yes, they can receive and pass and have good technical skills but their lack of broad understanding of the game (IMO mainly because they do not watch it) means they cannot compete with the best players who just move around the field in a different way and are able to adjust and do things that are not average or ordinary.

Shooting/finishing is a great example of something that you can improve by actually watching games. Watch how pro players on TV use their body shape to feint or fool the keeper into thinking they are shooting to one area of the goal but they actually finish in another area entirely. I spend time showing this to our players but without enough practice and seeing it repeated on TV, many struggle to grasp it and very rarely do I see any kid (our club or others, at all levels) use their body shape to sell or fool the keeper and shoot into another area of the goal. These small nuances are things most average players never pick up or learn; if only they watched the game more, it would be easier for them all to 'get it'. Just my opinion.

This kind of thread is old and repetitive to those of us who's been around for awhile but glad it comes up time to time so that new members can chew the fat and regurgitate what's wrong with USY soccer....

PS brings up a point that we rarely discuss on the form, and that's how important it is for kids to watch the game. When our older kid was recruited by a club coach back in U8 or so, the first season he said to my kid and to us that to have him watch as much of professional games as possible. The coach's point then was exactly the same as what Paul describes.

So we tried but the kid wanted to play more than watch so it didn't happen until much later in the process but it did happen eventually. It took couple of key things to get him interested in watching the game - discover player he liked and find a team to favor. In our kid's case, that was Ronaldinho and Liverpool. He must have watched every video highlights of Ronaldinho at Barca and AC Milan. He almost never missed Liverpool game thereafter too.

Over time, much of the soccer IQ stuff got embedded in this thinking organically between watching games and playing FIFA (actually, it was FIFA first and its through FIFA that he discovered his favorite player). I don't think NBCSports no longer provide this but early on, their app used to provide alternate view of the game being broadcasted - without announcers and close ups. Rather, gave a bird's-eye view of most of the field and could watch the player movements significantly better than the broadcast feed.

Kids, in general, copy actions and moves of superstars that they like and have seen on video. If the kid is very interested in the sports to begin with, he'll work on perfecting the moves for hours and hours. You often see it on the field and everyone goes "wooo" or something like it, when the move is executed in the game. While some may dismiss it as hot dogging it, there's more to it, if the kid actually has worked at it.

We were fortunate with our oder kid, because he always had coaches that emphasized creativity and decision making as the paramount in the games. Its that type of environment that allows any player to develop his own style and way of playing - the very basic of who the player is. It is not to say that the player can be a loose cannon on the field. On the contrary, the player has to play the position responsibly but how its done is the point. And it is that "how" that separates the good players from ordinary players.

So what's wrong with USY soccer? Many answers and opinions with little to no change in actions. I believe there are plenty of great coaches out there. I also believe there are lot more crappy coaches out there too, along with DOCs and club officials. But at the end of the day, the ultimate responsibility of how good we are comes down to the individual players. And yes, coaching interferes with some potentially great players as well as how the game is played but no coach executes plays on the field.

My personal view is that we have too much structure and hierarchy in USY soccer development - in the name of "finding NT players". Didn't we have more success in the 80s and 90s, when we used to qualify for WC and didn't have all the infrastructure to produce the national team? I'm not suggesting we go back to the way of those days but I do believe we have beaten the dead horse for quite some time.....

It is pretty funny that the key to MNT improvement is for kids to watch more tv and play more video games. This is probably the best justification possible in support of mediocrity on the men's side.

It is pretty funny that the key to MNT improvement is for kids to watch more tv and play more video games. This is probably the best justification possible in support of mediocrity on the men's side.
Yeah. You’re right. They should just lift weights and run faster.

I'm not sure anyone is advocating 'too much' TV or video games. Just to watch a bit more (i.e. enough to learn) on TV or live at games. Video games (FIFA) are actually helpful, as long as it's not addictive behavior that takes up way too much of your time (and you don't bother doing actual practice with a ball/team).

Article below is worth a read, although it's an old one. Lots to be gained from video games and cognitive function outside of actually kicking a ball physically.

https://sports.vice.com/en_au/artic...ad-can-video-games-make-soccer-players-better

Players game...take a huge amount passion & work to get really good.

We need more players that are willing to put in the work like this young man.

"....15, is a sophomore soccer standout at L.A. Cathedral. On Friday nights this winter, he’d be playing pickup soccer games on a USC field until they turned off the lights. On weekends, he’d rise at 6 a.m. with an older brother and head to Playa Vista to train until 11 p.m.

“I just stay to train until I get tired and exhausted,” he said.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/highschool/

Back