Why keep arguing, NO FALL SOCCER!

"Students are strongly urged to shelter in place from 9/14 through 9/29."
This risk in basically non existent for that group. As one of the university medical doctors stated the chance of anyone actually going to the hospital is extremely unlikely.

These are people not exhibiting illness. They are just showing as a positive

And you have twice as many deaths per capita. You keep forgetting to mention that part. Your state killed thousands of elderly residents so you could have beer and pizza in the restaurant.
I think it is less a gov policy thing and more how the virus acts in certain regions and in certain populations.

Take a look at Utah. They have been open far longer vs AZ and have a vastly different rate vs AZ for example.
Take a look at W Europe vs E Europe. It is fascinating.

OK here is some food for thought.

1. What is interesting to see is how W. Europe has done vs E. Europe.
2. I doubt anyone thinks that in general E Europe has better medical care, more efficient governments in terms of setting policies, etc. And yet look at how much better they have done vs W Europe. Or maybe it is more accurate to say how differently the virus acted in that region vs W Europe.

Have they done better in terms of response? Or do other factors make the difference? I lean heavily towards other reasons. Climate, populations (some immunity, etc). For reference take a look at Africa as well. Experts assumed they would be hammered and yet that has not come to pass.

It seems the virus acts differently depending on region, climate, population more so vs what the gov have actually done.

It is interesting to see on the Euro continent how differently the virus affected different regions.

Western Europe
177,947 deaths
413,461,656 population
Deaths 430 per million

Eastern Europe
36,058 deaths
331,085,712 population
Deaths 109 per million
Comparing E. Europe with W. Europe it's like comparing Santa Ana with Newport Beach. Population density is way off.

Let the kids play.

The University of Wisconsin’s COVID-19 in Youth Soccer study offered several valuable findings:

• Data was collected from 124 clubs representing over 90,000 players who have returned to play in more than 45,000 training sessions and 6,000 games since re-starting an average of 10 weeks prior to the survey.
  • 71 clubs (57%) had progressed to soccer participation that involved contact / unrestricted play in training or competition.
  • 100% of the clubs reported they had a formal COVID-19 plan in place to reduce risk.
  • A total of 325 positive cases were reported, including 282 positive cases in players, and 43 positive cases in staff.
  • Of the 325 positive cases, 1 case was reportedly traced to transmission in soccer.
  • No cases were reported to result in hospitalization or death.
The 282 reported positive cases in youth players represents a rate of 310 cases of COVID-19 per 100,000 children. In comparison, according to the American Academy of Pediatrics, during the 10 weeks prior to the survey (6/18/2020 through 8/27/2020) the nationwide case rate among children in the United States was 477 cases per 100,000 children.

As is mobility. Diseases spread more slowly when few people move around. And the former Warsaw Pact has fewer people rich enough to travel very far.
Then why do we compare the US to Europe?

Why do we compare AZ to CA?

Etc etc.

Each has something unique regarding them.

AZ has a rather large portion of our deaths coming from the Navajo Nation as just one example. Native Americans make up less than 4% of the AZ population but are 11% of all deaths.

Comparing E. Europe with W. Europe it's like comparing Santa Ana with Newport Beach. Population density is way off.
Why do many compare the US vs Europe than?

We are very different in many areas vs Euro countries.

There seems to be many variables that affect what the virus does...and that is/was my point. People point to W Europe as a success. One could then ask why they failed in comparison vs E Europe? The answer is partially what you mention. Things are not that same. Density, weather, population, etc. Makes it very hard to compare one region vs another right?

The same applies when looking at various states in the US. Each are unique.

Let the kids play.

The University of Wisconsin’s COVID-19 in Youth Soccer study offered several valuable findings:

• Data was collected from 124 clubs representing over 90,000 players who have returned to play in more than 45,000 training sessions and 6,000 games since re-starting an average of 10 weeks prior to the survey.
  • 71 clubs (57%) had progressed to soccer participation that involved contact / unrestricted play in training or competition.
  • 100% of the clubs reported they had a formal COVID-19 plan in place to reduce risk.
  • A total of 325 positive cases were reported, including 282 positive cases in players, and 43 positive cases in staff.
  • Of the 325 positive cases, 1 case was reportedly traced to transmission in soccer.
The 282 reported positive cases in youth players represents a rate of 310 cases of COVID-19 per 100,000 children. In comparison, according to the American Academy of Pediatrics, during the 10 weeks prior to the survey (6/18/2020 through 8/27/2020) the nationwide case rate among children in the United States was 477 cases per 100,000 children.

dad4 is going to crush this report for not considering grandma.

The funny thing is AZ has opened up our universities. Did so early Aug.

Our bars and restaurants have been up and running for a long time.

Our kids have been playing sports since early August end of July.

A number of schools have been open now for some time with full classrooms.

And yet we see cases continue to decline. We see deaths continue to decline.
I now want to move to AZ based on this. And I hate hot weather. See ya this weekend.

San Diego is about to fall back in the purple. IIRC correctly yesterday their case count came in at 7.9 and they need to be under 7. IIUC its being driven by an outbreak at SDSU-- 22 positive cases yesterday. The way the math works, unless the next week comes radically under, San Diego will be in the purple. This has a few implications: 1. it shows how darn sensitive and near impossible the CA color scheme is....if you have the basic community spread and then even a low level event like SDSU or the VC jail outbreak you'll be tipped back over and everything closes. Cases (particularly in the north of the state) will rise in flu season even if they can start to roll out a vaccine in December. 2. So much for San Diego schools, going to school then closing them again constantly is going to be really disruptive for kids including mentally and emotionally 3. Some businesses are already talking about defying the order...say they can't operate constantly pingponging from restrictions to no restrictions. 4. Nail in the coffin for the soccer season if it happens. SD has been the ones pushing for reopening the hardest. If they get purpled I can't imagine the health authorities say just say "Oh o.k. go ahead and have a full contact sport in a county we just closed back up"
Too much Labor Day partying.

OK here is some food for thought.

1. What is interesting to see is how W. Europe has done vs E. Europe.
2. I doubt anyone thinks that in general E Europe has better medical care, more efficient governments in terms of setting policies, etc. And yet look at how much better they have done vs W Europe. Or maybe it is more accurate to say how differently the virus acted in that region vs W Europe.

Have they done better in terms of response? Or do other factors make the difference? I lean heavily towards other reasons. Climate, populations (some immunity, etc). For reference take a look at Africa as well. Experts assumed they would be hammered and yet that has not come to pass.

It seems the virus acts differently depending on region, climate, population more so vs what the gov have actually done.

It is interesting to see on the Euro continent how differently the virus affected different regions.

Western Europe
177,947 deaths
413,461,656 population
Deaths 430 per million

Eastern Europe
36,058 deaths
331,085,712 population
Deaths 109 per million

This is a more accurate depiction of how poorly the US has done in their covid response.

These are the 37 OECD countries. From Wiki: "Generally, OECD members are high-income economies with a very high Human Development Index (HDI) and are regarded as developed countries."

These are the countries we should measure our response to.

Avg death rate for all OECD countries: 235 deaths per million
Death rate in the U.S.: 606 deaths per million (158% higher death rate than avg. OECD nation)
U.S ranks 33rd out of 37 nations for covid death rate

Why do many compare the US vs Europe than?

We are very different in many areas vs Euro countries.

There seems to be many variables that affect what the virus does...and that is/was my point. People point to W Europe as a success. One could then ask why they failed in comparison vs E Europe? The answer is partially what you mention. Things are not that same. Density, weather, population, etc. Makes it very hard to compare one region vs another right?

The same applies when looking at various states in the US. Each are unique.
Absolutely pointless to compare. The only thing I know for a fact, that the Virus is here to stay, whether we like it or not. We just have to choose if we want to hide from it or deal with it. I'm for latter.

Let the kids play.

Now if someone in this state government would be willing to admit it is not the data and science that is keeping kids from playing but their politics and ideology, we might get somewhere. At least I would feel better than being lied to about why kids are not in school or playing sports.

Do you still feel this way? Vaccine is coming sooner rather then laters brah!!! Follow the rules and be a good example so when you want others to follow your rules, they have to. It's simple actually if you think about it. Big Ten is balling now too. I predict California will have ball in the fall and next Spring. That is where I stand today. I hope I'm right and I hope your wrong. Somewhere in da middle works for me too :)
Let me know when it’s confirmed that I was wrong.

dad4 is going to crush this report for not considering grandma.
What study? All I saw was a link to the ECNL press release. And the study author is also the chief medical advisor to ECNL.

Sure, it tells me what I want to hear. So what? The Surf study told me what I want to hear, too.

Tell me when someone actually bothers doing a real study. One that tests the kids instead of relying on self reporting by clubs.

I want the same answer you do. I'm just not willing to lie to myself to get it.

Absolutely pointless to compare. The only thing I know for a fact, that the Virus is here to stay, whether we like it or not. We just have to choose if we want to hide from it or deal with it. I'm for latter.
We can't hide. Deal with it but be smart. Indoors always wear a mask. Outdoors much much safer, but don't be stupid and get a group of 10+ together and huddle near each other. At our work 4 carpoolers all ended up sick. One got it from a relative, eventually gave it to the others before realizing they were sick. One passed away. If you go out to eat, sit outdoors. Keep your distance outside. If you are high risk or someone with you is, be extra safe. I've noticed our employees are extra safe at work, but let their guard down at home with friends and family. Need to be diligent at all times.

Back