Who doesn't need a goal keeper?

Seems that every age group is filled with requests for goal keepers.
What happened to the kid(s) that we're playing in goal for you last season?

I've noticed two trends for the girls. They decide to stop playing the position(or quit soccer), or they move to another team. I think you can take a field player and move them around to another position, but not for the keeper. Many teams only keep one on a team as well(or can only find one). I also notice that many teams don't play back to the keeper thus the game can be boring for some of them. When I watched the UCLA vs Seattle game, the Seattle defense went back to the keeper every time they had the ball, from anywhere on the field. Keeping the player active as a sweeper / keeper would help make the game more interesting for many of the girls that play there.

At the younger age groups I suspect many players or their parents realize that the goal is not for them. Therefore pulling them the following year.

Goal keepers do appear to be in short supply and high demand right now. It is a demanding position physically and mentally. In speaking with one of my daughters keeper coaches last year, he explained to me that none of the clubs no what to do with goalies, and I think to some extent he is right. Most club directors do not appear to be goalies, and don't appreciate what is involved in developing a goalie. It is a very long road with lots of potholes.

I can tell you why my daughter changed clubs, but not on a public forum.

Seems like a lot in the 2007 age group particularly at Tier 1. My son's 2007 team (tier 1...whatever that actually means at this age) lost its goalie, who is a 2008, to another team after committing (due to extenuating circumstances). So right now we are without a dedicated goalie, but we do have two field players that are great fill-ins. I sometimes question the benefits of having a full time keeper at this age. Of course, for selfish reasons I wouldn't want my son to volunteer to play keeper.

At many of the 2007-2008 age group teams, they didn't have a full-time goalkeeper last year and now they want one who is interested in specializing in the position. At the 2006 age group, the start of U12 Development Academy teams on the Boys' side means that some teams have lost their goalkeepers to DA and even if they don't need one because they just moved the GKs all up a notch in their club, the lowest team needs one now or the club where their GK came from now needs one. At the 2005 and up age groups where they are 11 v. 11, the expanded rosters allow them to have two GKs and they would like two if possible.

Plus, many coaches and non-GK parents hold their young goalkeepers to impossible standards that no other player on the team is expected to meet (i.e., more than perfection, but savior for the imperfections of the other players on the team) and they are impatient instead of supportive and encouraging watching a young GK develop. Even if they can't find a better GK to replace last year's GK, that old GK gets the hint and leaves for a better team/situation (of which there are many) or leaves the goal altogether.

15 kids on a roster. If any of 14 of them quit or change clubs, so what? They are largely interchangeable across positions at least temporarily. If the GK leaves, most likely no one on the roster is stepping into the position, so you have to find one. You see various posts for adding an "impact" player for field players all the time, but they are non-specific. You aren't going to see a post that says, "Looking for an "impact" player to exclusively play left back." Also, a team can operate with a less than full roster, but you can't run with no one playing GK. BTW, this isn't new. When my kids started playing keeper, olders parents told me right away that she would always have a spot and be in demand. They were recruited right from the start and not because they were superstars. This included more than one offer to play for free on a good team.

By sheer accident and ignorance my daughter played her formative years with a mid level team filled with nice girls many of whom had other interests and activities. Despite being regularly recruited she never wanted to leave "her girls". I think that helped her develop her confidence without any real pressure. When she did finally change teams and move up to Tier 1 there was an adjustment to the speed and ability of the more talented strikers, but her belief in herself that was fostered in such a positive environment carried her through. While I'm sure there are a few drawbacks to this roundabout route, burnout from the constant pressure to excel and advance isn't one of them.

Being the mom of two keepers (2000 Girl and 2004 Boy) has been filled with many challenges over the years. Both my kids were dedicated keepers from the beginning. My girl got her lip busted by a cleat her first time at State Cup. I had her stop the bleeding with ice and get back into the game for the last few minutes. I have held my breath countless times and been amazed by saves. The position can be exciting, especially when the back line utilizes the keeper as a defender as well. It can be boring for younger goalies, especially if their team is very good. I actually preferred (when my kids were younger) the times they had seasons where their team was the underdog as it really helped to develop them and keep them interested in the game. They also had to learn to accept loss and not focus on the goal that just went in, but rather the next save that they were about to make.

I have two keepers g2006 and b2007. This is what I have learned over the last 7 years of soccer. First most young keepers I know including my two kids enjoy chasing the ball around as a field player but as many of you know most teams don't have a goalie or only (one)gk and here is where the problem starts and for some at a very young age. As a gk parent that has never played soccer or even really watched soccer I found it very easy to take advice and learn from what we consider very good gk trainers in our kids lives. This first one is very important so listen up They have to have FUN! FUN! FUN! Parents this is something you have to make sure of otherwise a good or even a great keeper for their young age will start to get burnt out. 2nd talk to the coach let it be known what your expectations are and find out what their philosophy is on this subject. Find a team that has a goalie most likely they both want to play half and half. We don't do any goalie training at team practice we do field training with team. Listen to your kids and what they want to do on the field. My kids only like to play keeper full time in tournaments We make sure that both kids get field time (forward,mid,defender)no exceptions in all other games if this is what your kid wants this is a must you will hear it all from coaches and parents.This game is so important the team we are playing is really good such and such is out we need them in the box again I'm talking about u little kids in my humble opinion all kids should be learning every position until 12-13 or so. Both of my kids I've been told can play multiple positions at a competitive level but they took to gk very young they liked it weren't afraid liked the gear had their parents support but if your kid is even somewhat good between the sticks well that's when things get complicated because as much as we talk about development winning is a huge factor for many sometimes at the cost of your keepers development and mental love for the game. Gk is not just diving around but a very mental game they need to understand all the positions and the game they also need to have excellent foot work because as they move up in competition the ball will be passed back plenty. We listen to our gk trainers who you can check out and ask questions go get trained whatever Dm me on Instagram @soccerkeeper1310 for more information of trainers in LA/OC and now one of our trainers plays for Hawaii so if there She is great. I hope this is helpful and in no way the only way do what's best for your kid enjoy watching enjoy the ride.

Plus, many coaches and non-GK parents hold their young goalkeepers to impossible standards that no other player on the team is expected to meet (i.e., more than perfection, but savior for the imperfections of the other players on the team) and they are impatient instead of supportive and encouraging watching a young GK develop. Even if they can't find a better GK to replace last year's GK, that old GK gets the hint and leaves for a better team/situation (of which there are many) or leaves the goal altogether.

OMG, I can't agree with this enough. Especially at the younger levels, it seems like every coach's favorite keeper is the one they don't have. So many youngers coaches and parents are obsessed with winning tophies, they have zero understanding of what it takes to develop a quality GK, and so if your kid isn't armed with an excess of self-confidence or is impervious to pressure, it can destroy their desire. Luckily, my daughter seemed to enjoy the uniqueness of her role enough to fight through all that other stuff, but it still amuses her to this day how many coaches will try to recruit her over their current keepers because they're always trying to upgrade the position rather than develop the one they have. We learned over time that most coaches and clubs are 100% clueless when it comes to keeper development.

I remember in the rec league when GK's were introduced, my DD would not stop bugging us and the coach to let her play in the goal. We thought she was crazy because she was scoring the most goals on her team and was the "star". She played every once in a while until she started club. On the field, she played everything from left back to forward. She played an odd game or two from ages 11-13 but didn't decide to specialize in the goalkeeper position until just before turning 14. And even though she's 17 now, we are still on the verge of having a heart attack every time she dives at the feet of a forward. We're just happy she's happy and thriving in the position.

Everyone's situation is different. It just seems like specialization is starting so much earlier nowadays. And sometimes, intentionally and unintentionally, kids are discouraged from playing the position like mine was. After going through the process, I say let every kid try out every position. If they don't like one, take note of it but make them try it again so others have a chance at playing everything else too. Playing every position ultimately helps a goalkeeper in the long-run, as they'll learn how every position thinks and why they do the things they do. Makes your kid a smarter player.

in my humble opinion all kids should be learning every position until 12-13 or so.
Great discussion all in all, especially this point.

U10-U13 teams who are looking for 1 defender are being done a disservice by their coach. Kids change, abilities change, and a coach looking really out for development should be moving children around each fall->spring season anyway. Just bring in good kids and work with them.

Hail to the keeper! Agree with all of the statements so far but will add this. Most kids are put into goal out of need not desire. When a striker (field player)misses a shot or loses the ball, we hear applause, good effort, unlucky, or get it back.. A keeper takes the blame for every goal. Right or wrong that is their reality. They are toughest on themselves taking each goal personally. I have watched my kid leave games after a penalty shootouts were we had 3 players miss and he stopped a few blame himself. I have seen him and other keeper keep a team in the game or make the difference in a win and all the credit will go to the striker that scored.You have to have some thick skin to be a keeper! Parents and coaches don't help as they re-enforce the issue. The whispers from parents on the sideline or at practice is phenomenal. Yes we can hear you even in another language. A keeper will go to a 1.5 our keeper training and then make it to a regular practice and get scolded for not keeping pace. Ever been to a keeper practice, exhausting.I have seen academy level players play a poor ball back to their keeper run into the keeper resulting in a score and the keeper is blamed. You also have to be a bit crazy to play the position. Who voluntarily puts their head and face in front of a flying foot or ball. I see kids coming in hot and cleat up on the keeper or stomp them when the are on the ground ( I have a great x-ray show an elbow bruise with the manufacture of the cleat). I tried talking my kid out of playing the position to no avail. Oh well, I went 1 of 2 as the other is a field player. Over the years he has come to understand that you will never get credit for a win and every loss is your fault. It is part of the position. This not a compliant, it just contributes why keepers stop or are hard to find. I realize that for every knucklehead that makes a derogatory statement their are those are positive with their comments. Kids focus on the negative until we get ice cream or head to the beach. Simply put, he loves to play the position and usually plays for multiple teams in the spring as a guest. It is the Rodney Dangerfield position of soccer, no respect. I admire any kid that is willing to put themselves on the field and even more when they put themselves between the posts. See my favorite goalie Scott Sterling on youtube.

Hail to the keeper! Agree with all of the statements so far but will add this. Most kids are put into goal out of need not desire. When a striker (field player)misses a shot or loses the ball, we hear applause, good effort, unlucky, or get it back.. A keeper takes the blame for every goal. Right or wrong that is their reality. They are toughest on themselves taking each goal personally. I have watched my kid leave games after a penalty shootouts were we had 3 players miss and he stopped a few blame himself. I have seen him and other keeper keep a team in the game or make the difference in a win and all the credit will go to the striker that scored.You have to have some thick skin to be a keeper! Parents and coaches don't help as they re-enforce the issue. The whispers from parents on the sideline or at practice is phenomenal. Yes we can hear you even in another language. A keeper will go to a 1.5 our keeper training and then make it to a regular practice and get scolded for not keeping pace. Ever been to a keeper practice, exhausting.I have seen academy level players play a poor ball back to their keeper run into the keeper resulting in a score and the keeper is blamed. You also have to be a bit crazy to play the position. Who voluntarily puts their head and face in front of a flying foot or ball. I see kids coming in hot and cleat up on the keeper or stomp them when the are on the ground ( I have a great x-ray show an elbow bruise with the manufacture of the cleat). I tried talking my kid out of playing the position to no avail. Oh well, I went 1 of 2 as the other is a field player. Over the years he has come to understand that you will never get credit for a win and every loss is your fault. It is part of the position. This not a compliant, it just contributes why keepers stop or are hard to find. I realize that for every knucklehead that makes a derogatory statement their are those are positive with their comments. Kids focus on the negative until we get ice cream or head to the beach. Simply put, he loves to play the position and usually plays for multiple teams in the spring as a guest. It is the Rodney Dangerfield position of soccer, no respect. I admire any kid that is willing to put themselves on the field and even more when they put themselves between the posts. See my favorite goalie Scott Sterling on youtube.

"Goalkeepers need an element of insanity." — Oliver Kahn

bingo

I will second that BINGO

Back