What's this new GA Goal scoring system?

Code

SILVER ELITE
Just wondering if anyone has any insight on how teams can score half-goals and 1/3-goals in the GA these days? I always thought the half-goal for contriversial goal call backs by the ref was a joke. Maybe the GA found a new loop hole to pump those numbers up.
Screenshot_20230930_152901_Chrome.jpg

Click on "View Tiebreaker Info" there is a definition of the decoder ring you need to backtrack into real numbers.

Unfortunately once 2-3 games occur its impossible to know what the actual number is because the fractional numbers can add up multiple ways. (Unless you decode every week + keep the history)

It's probably calculated this way to obscure GF GA GD + give less emphasis on the number of goals scored / allowed. It would also make it more difficult to do predictive analytics / expected future outcomes.

Oh..for real. . I thought the software just had a temp glitch, and thought I would be a funny post. Well, just a differnt way to look at the results I guess. Don't really see the point though.

Click on "View Tiebreaker Info" there is a definition of the decoder ring you need to backtrack into real numbers.

Unfortunately once 2-3 games occur its impossible to know what the actual number is because the fractional numbers can add up multiple ways. (Unless you decode every week + keep the history)

It's probably calculated this way to obscure GF GA GD + give less emphasis on the number of goals scored / allowed. It would also make it more difficult to do predictive analytics / expected future outcomes.

Huh? Isn't the decoder ring just multiplying by the number of matches played? It appears to be no more or less complicated than that. It's the same thing that is done for the PPG column all the way on the right - so the teams can be ranked by PPG instead of PTS, to take into account that teams may have different number of matches both now and perhaps even by the end of the season.

I'm really not understanding why one would think this is obscuring the data, or lowering the emphasis - it's simply normalizing it against matches played so tiebreaks can be visualized & calculated easily. It's more useful for leagues and brackets that know they are going to end up with odd numbers of games; not so much for leagues and brackets that are more insistent about making sure each team has the same exact total number of games recorded per season in league.

What am I missing?

Huh? Isn't the decoder ring just multiplying by the number of matches played? It appears to be no more or less complicated than that. It's the same thing that is done for the PPG column all the way on the right - so the teams can be ranked by PPG instead of PTS, to take into account that teams may have different number of matches both now and perhaps even by the end of the season.

I'm really not understanding why one would think this is obscuring the data, or lowering the emphasis - it's simply normalizing it against matches played so tiebreaks can be visualized & calculated easily. It's more useful for leagues and brackets that know they are going to end up with odd numbers of games; not so much for leagues and brackets that are more insistent about making sure each team has the same exact total number of games recorded per season in league.

What am I missing?
I'll look at it more closely tomorrow.

You're probably right. As long as per game scores are posted everything else can be determined. (Been to 3 different games all over SD and OC + I'm tired)

What am I missing?
Back after some rest...

Looks Iike you are 100% correct + I was wrong + looking for something negative when it didn't exist.

Thank you for the clarification.

Back after some rest...

Looks Iike you are 100% correct + I was wrong + looking for something negative when it didn't exist.

Thank you for the clarification.
Yes it is just a per game calculation - like they have always done for “PPG” as the first determiner of standings. Given GD is part of the tiebreaker, I guess they changed it this year to show the GD, GF, and GA on a per game basis. Don’t really like it, but you can do quick math.

The idea of half-goals or 1/3-goals in sports, especially in the Goal Average (GA) context, typically relates to statistical adjustments or specific league rules rather than actual in-game events. Sometimes these figures are used in tiebreaker scenarios or to adjust standings, but they're not literal scores from gameplay. While I wasn't entirely sure this was the right answer, after a quick look at https://sportscore.io, it seemed to confirm my thoughts. This website provides insights and clarifications on such matters, which could be quite handy for anyone looking to understand sports scoring better.

Back