West Coast Classic 2017-Refs

Agree with most of what you said with the exception of one thing. Recently at the Surf Cup in younger team competition, the CR literally did not move out of the center circle for 90% or more of the game. He was elderly and quite over weight and should not be referring a soccer game. I realize it is hard to get enough refs, but seriously, in a tournament that is supposed to be the best of the best, the ref should be able to move somewhat with the flow of the game. By the way, I did not have a player in the two games I saw him referring that weekend.
Ive worked with quite a few like that, some do.just fine with minimal movement, because their experienced, but this is a case of not retaining more younger referees, im 21! I've seen older guys get games just because their buds with the assignors, theirs favoritism going on.

Its a lack of a referee pool, even tho we've been told theres 6500 referees in Calsouth. Just that the tournamentd are poorly compensated and most refs dont do them, some just do the regular season.

I understand the frustration there with the older and heavier refs, but their is a referee retention problem, along with the travel for 60 or more miles only some are willing to do..for surf cup ik referees that go 150 miles for it!! But again its a lack of resources. We just need to be respectful in these situations, we cant turn on each other, especially the referee. You can make your concern known through the tournament coordinator.

We had a terrible experience with our refs as well at the YAP field. The ref lost complete control of the game and two kids were hurt as a result. In addition the calls that were made were terrible for both teams and goals were scored as a result which impacted the game. The center ref was physically unable to get up and down the field which is unacceptable when we travel to play in these tournaments. Our ref also refused to acknowledge the coaches for an explanation of any of the calls. All in all poorly managed games which not only led to injuries but impacted the outcomes.

Games don't go out of control because of a bad ref. They go out of control because of bad coaches and sidelines. Can a bad ref change the outcome of a game? Yes. Does a bad ref teach a kid to take out another player? No. Can a ref contribute to a game going out of control? Yes. But it starts with the parents and coach.

Games don't go out of control because of a bad ref. They go out of control because of bad coaches and sidelines. Can a bad ref change the outcome of a game? Yes. Does a bad ref teach a kid to take out another player? No. Can a ref contribute to a game going out of control? Yes. But it starts with the parents and coach.

An exceptional referee will recognize the signs of a game heading into the toilet and take action to stop it.

Agree. Few benched players or some yellow/red cards usually tone it down. Wasn't a parent problem. It was just bad all around and not the norm but worth pointing out especially for a quality tournament like West Coast. This particular ref struggled to leave the center circle due to being extremely overweight. Socal problems with so many teams and limited number of refs.

My dd will be U15 this year and I want to point a few things out and see what the rest of you think:
1. I really don't care about offsides, hand balls, foul throw-ins, etc. anymore. These calls are usually so subjective, that it tends to even out over the course of the game.
2. I do care about player safety. Maybe I am in the minority here, but I think the referee needs to set the tone of the game early. Some games seem very "sporting" between the two teams and other games seem like "bloodsport" out there. I realize that the referee can do only so much, but don't be afraid to give a yellow card early in the game if a foul warrants it. Don't be afraid to stop play for a minute and explain to a player that a certain style of play will not be allowed. These players are smart, they can figure it out.
3. The more I see parents yelling and screaming at the players (from both teams) and the referees, the more I cannot wait for this to be over. We (parents) are supposed to be the role models for our children and so many times it is the parents that act far more immature during games than the players.
4. Some coaches need to do a better job controlling their sidelines. I realize that they are across the field from the parents, but let the parents know that players will be lose playing time if the parent acts like a fool on the sideline.
5. Parents should NEVER talk to the referee during the game. We as parents are there to watch our child play, not critique the referee calls. Believe it or not, every referee will miss calls during the game.
6. Parents should never try to coach a player from the sideline. Isn't that was we are paying the coach to do?

Just my two cents.

So a question....

When is it ok to be screaming, yelling totally biased fan?

While I agree with most of your post (except 1 - it does matter and should not be as bad as it is in most games), when we see the sideline at college football or basketball games, its not exactly supportive or sporting behavior toward the opponents or even our own players, when they make mistakes. The behavior is amplified in pro games.

These players are all "children" of some parents and at what point do we hold players more accountable for their own performance and conduct on the field?

Since you've mentioned your kid is U15, it is considered "olders" now and do we flip the switch?

Assuming that we're all talking about competitive sports and not rec, part of the player development is learning to win, lose, handle criticism and complements, unfair/bad calls and most of all deal with crazy (parents) fans on the side line. I've seen players talk back to other team's parents using 4 letter words and racial slurs....

Obviously I'm being rhetorical but don't make it sound like its all parents, coaches and ref's that turn a game into a sour situation. Players have lot to do with it....

So a question....

When is it ok to be screaming, yelling totally biased fan?

While I agree with most of your post (except 1 - it does matter and should not be as bad as it is in most games), when we see the sideline at college football or basketball games, its not exactly supportive or sporting behavior toward the opponents or even our own players, when they make mistakes. The behavior is amplified in pro games.

These players are all "children" of some parents and at what point do we hold players more accountable for their own performance and conduct on the field?

Since you've mentioned your kid is U15, it is considered "olders" now and do we flip the switch?

Assuming that we're all talking about competitive sports and not rec, part of the player development is learning to win, lose, handle criticism and complements, unfair/bad calls and most of all deal with crazy (parents) fans on the side line. I've seen players talk back to other team's parents using 4 letter words and racial slurs....

Obviously I'm being rhetorical but don't make it sound like its all parents, coaches and ref's that turn a game into a sour situation. Players have lot to do with it....
Nice post..

Your are right, players, especially the olders need to be responsible for their actions. Where I was going is more where did they learn it from and who is enforcing it.

And you're also spot on in regards to the players are all someones kid. Even at the highest level, professional sports can be cruel for a parent or relative. Nobody like to hear that their kid/relative sucks. But usually people at youth soccer games are parents/relatives and they should act accordingly. As should the coaches..

What would the reason be for the referee and coach to have a long or short verbal conversation during the game?

I am sure one of the AR's spoke English. If there really was a need for an in depth conversation between Referee and Coach than they would have figured out how to facilitate it. But, I cannot think of a reason why I would stop the game to have a long conversation with a coach during the game. I worked with a referee that was deaf during the Disney tournament two years ago. He had no problem controlling the game or communicating with the coach or players.
I never said a long conversation, but sometimes the ref and coach exchange a few words-

Blah blah blah... I know I hate refs too.. from the professional games all the way down to AYSO. My kid is one of the cleanest players out there and he gets fouled 12 times a game., unnecessarily and sometimes ruthlessly. Yes, you may be a volunteer ref. Yes; is a crappy job, yes it may be part time, yes it doesn't pay shit but guess what?? If you're a ref and you chose to be a ref then I don't give a f$&k.. you chose this. So hand out the yellow card, hand out the reds, suspend a few players and get the game under control. Also, learn the offsides rule, learn the laws of the games before you even choose to do this. If I went to work without knowing what the hell i was doing I'd get fired. This is why I hate refs. You all think you're experts after taking a one hour class or something or read a soccer guide. So I don't care if you don't get paid well or it's a part time job for you or you're a volunteer. Do what you do cause you love the beautiful game. Go educate yourself as much as you can with the laws of the game so you'll actually be good at what you do, become a ref because you love soccer,, not because you love kids and want to volunteer ( that isn't helping if you don't really know squat about soccer) and throw out a yellow and red card every now and then... you want to be a ref? Become a true soccer player first then you'll understand. This goes out too any ref who has not served my son well. My son getting hacked a thousand times a game and you do nothing. Thanks a lot. I as a parent don't give a rats ass about you. Thanks. If you're a true soccer player as well as a ref I'm sorry if I offended.

And if anyone says " well then; we will have a shortage of refs cause no one wants to do it" Good!! Let's play with out them and let the kids govern themselves just like we use too when we were kids playing soccer in a dirt patch somewhere. It'll sort itself out. Better to have no ref than a ref that does nothing.

Im going to assume, Dr richard durtz is a troll....please for the sake of humanity shut your incompetent mouth up pleaseeee. Your the example of the most annoyingly idiotic parent that we see out there on the sidelines. I find it hard to believe a foul doesnt get called for your kid.

Your an example of why this country has gone downhill in terms of respect and competence. The crap that came out of your mouth reminds me of a neo-nazi...

Your so knowledgeable on the laws of the game? Get out there and do it! Actually if your so scared abour your kid getting hurt maybe take up chess...

This troll said give out yellow and red cards...so what happens? Your sons tesm.gains an advantage on the field? See the type of parent that only cares about the game and not the wellbeing of their child when you mention yellow and red cards...your kid is just as likely to get injured getting out of your van as he could from a slight tug of a shirt...goodbye. Good riddance.

Believe it or not Art. I'm one of the coolest parents out there. I'm not yelling or cheering at all. I'm just a parent who video tapes the games. I stand there with my mouth shut. You don't know who I am. My kid plays at one of the higher levels attached to MLS so I have to behave. Sorry to offend you but I thought this was a forum and I'm just putting my opinions about refs. So why am I a troll? Is it because I don't yell at these matches probably like you perhaps?

Agree with most of what you said with the exception of one thing. Recently at the Surf Cup in younger team competition, the CR literally did not move out of the center circle for 90% or more of the game. He was elderly and quite over weight and should not be referring a soccer game. I realize it is hard to get enough refs, but seriously, in a tournament that is supposed to be the best of the best, the ref should be able to move somewhat with the flow of the game. By the way, I did not have a player in the two games I saw him referring that weekend.

If you are referencing the 7v7 games at Surf Cup, those fields were so small that it only took a couple steps to go from midfield to the top of the penalty area.

...... Our ref also refused to acknowledge the coaches for an explanation of any of the calls.....

Let's clarify something. The referee is not required to give an explanation of any calls. No where in the LOTG does it say the referee must tell anyone what the foul call was for, why they didn't call a foul, why they called a PK, or why they decided a direction for a throw-in or goal/corner kick. I watched the Galaxy game this past weekend and not once did the referee explain a call to the coaches. What makes you think that a youth coach has special privileges that entitle them to an explanation?

Back