Well that lasted long....Pugh

If she stays in college, could she still collect uswnt money?
If yes, seems that would be the best of both worlds.

No. You cannot receive a dime if in college still. My guess is this is overseas. They pay much more than nwsl for salary. You don't leave ucla for 50k a year

There are only a couple of sports where you can receive money and retain amateur status. Golf and tennis are the only two that come to mind and I think that it is because it is prize money won not a salary being paid that allows this exception.

She's going for that Adidas or Nike money. Salary is just a bonus

We will see what they offer. I don't think that they will offer anything if she goes abroad. The value for them is selling product domestically to little soccer girls out there dreaming of being like her someday. In Europe it just isn't the same. There aren't literally millions of parents like on this forum obsessively spending thousands of dollars on what amounts to a country club sport at the highest levels. Not to mention that it only comes into our consciousness every 3 years. Look at her twitter account and compare it to the USWNT girls that are making 6 figure endorsement deals. Alex Morgan has over a 2 million followers and Tobin Heath's count is in the million plus range. She has 46k. She has a little way to go before they throw too much money her way although even a $1-2 million dollar deal over 4-5 years is some good coin.

We will see what they offer. I don't think that they will offer anything if she goes abroad. The value for them is selling product domestically to little soccer girls out there dreaming of being like her someday. In Europe it just isn't the same. There aren't literally millions of parents like on this forum obsessively spending thousands of dollars on what amounts to a country club sport at the highest levels. Not to mention that it only comes into our consciousness every 3 years. Look at her twitter account and compare it to the USWNT girls that are making 6 figure endorsement deals. Alex Morgan has over a 2 million followers and Tobin Heath's count is in the million plus range. She has 46k. She has a little way to go before they throw too much money her way although even a $1-2 million dollar deal over 4-5 years is some good coin.

I agree. While Salary would be double or triple in some countries, the sponsors will want her in America. I'm curious how she'd do on a regular club team with just a few national team players compared to USA team where they are much better than majority of teams they play. I'm sure would still be pretty legit but a little different

I agree. While Salary would be double or triple in some countries, the sponsors will want her in America. I'm curious how she'd do on a regular club team with just a few national team players compared to USA team where they are much better than majority of teams they play. I'm sure would still be pretty legit but a little different

I wish her luck.

She's going for that Adidas or Nike money. Salary is just a bonus
Pugh could have had that endorsement contract prior to UCLA as she was already considering turning pro prior to attending UCLA. It's no coincidence that after the new US WNT collective bargaining agreement was finalized and announced last week, she then turns pro the week after.

There was a half-time interview during the 2nd game vs Russia in which a few of the US WNT players discussed the CBA. They said, they were ALL in touch with each other and what they wanted. Meaning Pugh also had a voice in what they wanted.

I always have mixed feelings when a kid in any sport foregoes college to turn pro. On the one hand, I can't blame them. If I'd had the opportunity to make 6 figures (or more) after one year of college working in my area of passion, I would have done it in a heartbeat, no second thoughts. On the other hand, now that I'm a middle-aged parent with 25 more years of life experience, I recognize that those college years are such a fleeting golden age in life that money could never replace, and I wouldn't want my kids to miss a single moment of that part of life, no matter how much $$ was at stake. Good luck to Pugh. I'm sure UCLA won't miss a beat, but it would have been fun to see her stay.

I always have mixed feelings when a kid in any sport foregoes college to turn pro. On the one hand, I can't blame them. If I'd had the opportunity to make 6 figures (or more) after one year of college working in my area of passion, I would have done it in a heartbeat, no second thoughts. On the other hand, now that I'm a middle-aged parent with 25 more years of life experience, I recognize that those college years are such a fleeting golden age in life that money could never replace, and I wouldn't want my kids to miss a single moment of that part of life, no matter how much $$ was at stake. Good luck to Pugh. I'm sure UCLA won't miss a beat, but it would have been fun to see her stay.
They just might miss her, she's pretty good.

They just might miss her, she's pretty good.

Yeah they will miss her but she only appeared 3 times for them. The team was and is built around Fleming. They have another scorer coming in plus a few other pieces and will be fine. Their coach is outstanding and she isn't working with subpar pieces. Que sera sera.

Yeah they will miss her but she only appeared 3 times for them. The team was and is built around Fleming. They have another scorer coming in plus a few other pieces and will be fine. Their coach is outstanding and she isn't working with subpar pieces. Que sera sera.
I haven't seen her play very much, just a few times on the national team, but the way everyone talks about her I just assumed she would be missed, the last few time I watched her she didn't seem to be on.

I haven't seen her play very much, just a few times on the national team, but the way everyone talks about her I just assumed she would be missed, the last few time I watched her she didn't seem to be on.

She is the real deal. They have another player that is as good but doesn't have as lucrative an opportunity as the US CBA provides. She will be sorely missed. They will be fine #FIRSTWORLDPROBLEMS.

MSFT founder Bill Gates and Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg both dropped out of a college in Cambridge Mass to pursue their dreams...for certain people it's the right decision...staying in college is too expensive for certain few folks...

Back