Wall Street Journal article: "American Soccer Needs More Players" (ugh)

To add a facility/district/county/city to an existing insurance policy costs nothing (seriously, nothing ... just tell the insurance agent we need to add XYZ as an "additionally insured.") If clubs are registered under one of US Soccer's US Council members (US Youth Soccer or US Club or AYSO) AND the event is sanctioned by those members then insurance extends to all US Council affiliated members, meaning a US Club sanctioned tournament can bring in US Youth and AYSO teams and still feel good (player cards are required, however).

I don't know if any of you have seen this but there is a novel approach at the San Bernardino Soccer Complex: https://scrimmagefest.com/ which attacks the cost problem (a bit).

When my kids were younger, one of the teammate families had an unused horse arena behind their house (they were between horses), about the size of an indoor soccer field. And it had lights! They grew some grass and offered it as a team practice site. It took less than a week to get it registered with Cal South as the _____ Family Soccer Field so that it was covered by the same insurance as the city parks.

Semantics, likely, but I'm basing my response on how USSF, and approved by its outside auditors, categorized the expenses. Soccerfan2 what I would do is a very fair question. First off let me issue this disclaimer. I believe that the primary issue in US soccer is culture. To change culture takes a long time and typically is organically driven, although I do believe there are a few things USSF can do to help the process along.

1) USSF needs to stop interfering with the operations of the US Soccer Foundation, which does provide grass roots programming primarily for underserved communities. The US Soccer Foundation is a powerful ally in the development of youth soccer. The Federation should be supporting it, not fighting it.
2) Coaching programs need to include training on how children learn, how to communicate to children, positive coaching techniques and over coaching prevention. Make training more available and affordable, instead of making public statements that its done on purpose because only a few people should have an advanced coaching license. (The exact opposite approach that Iceland took)
3) Ditch most of the PDI's and promote futsal as a development tool
4) Change its focus from quantity to quality. Ditch or reduce the USSF Grow Fund and use those funds to improve and reduce the cost of coaching programs or provide grass roots training programs. It doesn't make sense to grow something that has fundamental issues. Improve it first.
5) Fund proven core and grass roots programs like Tom Byer's "Soccer Begins at Home"
6) Restructure the DA since its been unsuccessful at producing world class players for the most part. Right now the DA is just another league focused on winning which USSF euphemistically calls "meaningful games". The only real benefit for DA is to consolidate talent for US Soccer to make scouting easier (easier for colleges as well which is a benefit to players). US Soccer needs to take a more active role in the development of players in the DA. Suggestions are DA specific training for coaches, meaningful evaluations of DA coaches and programs at least annually (I believe programs may be reviewed superficially), a vision statement and implementation of the style of play USSF wants to promote,etc. USSF is eliminating U12 DA and maybe U13 DA, use the cost savings from these age groups to implement some of these things.
7) Create a foundation for funding capital projects for US Soccer. Its common for non-profits to have both an operating entity and a capital improvement entity with separate funding sources. Traditionally, the Foundation's projects are funded through private fundraising.
- Use the Foundation to raise funds to build training centers. Make the training center available to all ages and abilities (fees would apply)
- Use the Foundation to provide grants (with private partners) to fund soccer friendly facilities in communities, schools and other youth facilities like the installation of a combo soccer goal and basketball hoop system. What was just a basketball court is now a futsal court. These are common in Europe (sorry for the quality of the picture)
View attachment 4059

How to pay for it? Use some of the surplus and partner with corporate and private donors. US Soccer's net assets have more than doubled since the last time they qualified for the World Cup in 2014 (in large part to proceeds from Copa America). They certainly can free up some funds to implement programs for players of all ages and abilities, which I remind you is USSF's stated purpose, without taking funds away from the national teams.

I try to look for ways that things can be done, as opposed to how it can't be done. This can be done. As an anecdotal example I serve on the board of a youth services organization, our annual operating budget is not much over $2mm. Through our separate foundation we were able to raise $10mm in private donations to build a facility in a community of only 60,000, with the majority of that funding coming from the citizens in that community. If we can do it with our humble resources, US Soccer certainly can. Unfortunately, the steps I would take would only bear fruit over the long term and USSF is under the gun for missing the World Cup so most of their efforts have to be measurable in the short term.

LA84 Foundation still has money left for supporting youth sports. It is leftover profits from the 1984 LA Olympics.

https://la84.org/

LA84 Foundation still has money left for supporting youth sports. It is leftover profits from the 1984 LA Olympics.

https://la84.org/

I'm a big fan of LA84. I use it as an example when people say the Olympics are money losers. They are losers if poorly run, or run by a country that can't afford it in the first place. Salt Lake 2002 is another good example that has a very positive Olympic legacy. I'm fortunate to have attended LA84 and SLC2002...awesome memories.

U.S. Soccer Invites South American Teams for Rich New Tournament in 2020
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/26/sports/us-soccer-copa-america-conmebol.html

"U.S. Soccer has invited South America’s 10 soccer federations to bring their national teams to the United States in 2020 for a new intercontinental championship that would run concurrently with that summer’s European Championship.

The offer, a package that includes almost $200 million in guarantees to the invited teams and their governing bodies, was made Tuesday in a letter from U.S. Soccer’s president, Carlos Cordeiro, to his counterparts at the 10 South American federations. For the past year, soccer officials across the Americas have held discussions about creating a quadrennial tournament involving national teams from both hemispheres, but with no agreement in sight, U.S. Soccer, eager to fill a gap in the global soccer calendar and bearing an enticing nine-figure offer, is now proposing to establish its own.

In the letter, Cordeiro said U.S. Soccer was offering to underwrite the new event and guarantee each nation — and both confederations — millions of dollars in appearance fees, subsidized travel and bonuses for each point earned. The champions could take home a prize of more than $11 million. Cordeiro has invited the South Americans to a meeting to discuss the proposal next week in Miami"

Underwriting tournments to entice other nations in showing up? Seems like a strange gamble given the needs elsewhere but if it makes money?

"U.S. Soccer has invited South America’s 10 soccer federations to bring their national teams to the United States in 2020 for a new intercontinental championship that would run concurrently with that summer’s European Championship.

The offer, a package that includes almost $200 million in guarantees to the invited teams and their governing bodies, was made Tuesday in a letter from U.S. Soccer’s president, Carlos Cordeiro, to his counterparts at the 10 South American federations. For the past year, soccer officials across the Americas have held discussions about creating a quadrennial tournament involving national teams from both hemispheres, but with no agreement in sight, U.S. Soccer, eager to fill a gap in the global soccer calendar and bearing an enticing nine-figure offer, is now proposing to establish its own.

In the letter, Cordeiro said U.S. Soccer was offering to underwrite the new event and guarantee each nation — and both confederations — millions of dollars in appearance fees, subsidized travel and bonuses for each point earned. The champions could take home a prize of more than $11 million. Cordeiro has invited the South Americans to a meeting to discuss the proposal next week in Miami"

Underwriting tournments to entice other nations in showing up? Seems like a strange gamble given the needs elsewhere but if it makes money?

Dump FIFA.

First of all, US Soccer isn't stupid. You can bet they have all their TV rights and sponsors lined up under letters of intent and know exactly what the anticipated "rights" revenues are going to be, before agreeing to underwrite anything. They probably have about $300M in rights tentatively wrapped up, but whatever the number its north of $200M.

Second, its smart of US Soccer and its World Cup organizing committee to throw this mini World Cup event and they will likely use the same venues as they intend to use come 2026, so consider this a money-making dry run, which represents a good learning opportunity.

Agree, this is a great idea. Glad to read Canada and other Concacaf nations included. BTW, World Cup 2026 Finals should be held in Toronto, not LA!!!! More central location, better global food, better beer, and legal cannabis :)

Agree, this is a great idea. Glad to read Canada and other Concacaf nations included. BTW, World Cup 2026 Finals should be held in Toronto, not LA!!!! More central location, better global food, better beer, and legal cannabis :)

There are something we can joke about and some things we cannot. Toronto? Central? The Brazilians probably are objecting and voting for Miami. Better global food? Possibly, but unlikely when you look at Los Angeles due to the fact that more fresh ingrediants are available year round (heck, ask a Korean in Soul who has the best Korean food and they answer its in LA). Legal cannabis? Fine.

But you have crossed a line, CROSSED IT I SAY!!!! Best beer? This is precisely why we need a freaking wall on our northern border too and probably some sort of "firewall" (or icewall) for the internet. Way too many canucks with their misinformed commie rhetoric ... better beer my butt (unless we are talking about that piss-water colored swill sold by Bud, Miller and Coors ... then I agree)

Since the collective wisdom on this Forum likes comparing the stats of 7 year old girls teams and arguing over what Pre-DA, Pre-ECNL, PREpubescent 7v7 team could beat some other prepubescent 7v7 team from North Carolina, I bring you the Beer Advocate's beer stats:

'Merica has no beer in the top 100 with a score lower than 4.5. None lower. https://www.beeradvocate.com/lists/us/

As we move up to visit our so-called-friends in Canada the beer situation get's worse, much worse. https://www.beeradvocate.com/lists/ca/ Please make note of the fact that the Highest Ranking Canadian beer has a score of 4.45 (style is American Imperial Stout, which was really put on the map by Founders Brewing Company in Grand Rapids, Michigan), the first 10 beers all are styles defined here in the States, Belgium and Russia. Does Canada even have their own style of beer?

@oh canada, aside from being world leaders in Zamboni technology, I think we can add one more reason to the list:

Canada hosted the Women's World Cup on turf. They never deserve another chance.

Well Conmebol Rejects U.S. Soccer’s Offer for New Tournament
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/28/sports/conmebol-us-soccer-copa-america.html

"South America’s top soccer official on Thursday rejected an invitation to take part in a proposed intercontinental tournament hosted and financed by U.S. Soccer in the summer of 2020, saying the continent’s governing body preferred to maintain the primacy of its own continental championship, the Copa América.

U.S. Soccer President Carlos Cordeiro had made the offer for a combined tournament featuring South America’s 10 teams and six from the region comprising North and Central America and the Caribbean in a letter earlier this week. U.S. Soccer’s offer would have been worth tens of millions of dollars for the South American teams, their regional rivals who took part, and the two confederations governing soccer in the Americas.

But in a letter to Cordeiro dated Wednesday, first reported by the Brazilian news outlet Globo, the president of the South American federation, Alejandro Dominguez, categorically rejected the invitation to a proposed Continental Cup in 2020. Dominguez’s letter cited a lack of FIFA approval for the new event, but also a preference to prioritize the Copa América, which is the oldest international soccer championship in the world.

why is the USSF in the soccer tournament promotion business anyway? Don't see that in the charter or anything like that and they have more pressing things to spend resouces on like hiring some coaches for the YNT or something that acutally helps soccer in the usa? Giving away millions in incentives to play in promotional tournments seems like a profit for business.

There are something we can joke about and some things we cannot. Toronto? Central? The Brazilians probably are objecting and voting for Miami. Better global food? Possibly, but unlikely when you look at Los Angeles due to the fact that more fresh ingrediants are available year round (heck, ask a Korean in Soul who has the best Korean food and they answer its in LA). Legal cannabis? Fine.

But you have crossed a line, CROSSED IT I SAY!!!! Best beer? This is precisely why we need a freaking wall on our northern border too and probably some sort of "firewall" (or icewall) for the internet. Way too many canucks with their misinformed commie rhetoric ... better beer my butt (unless we are talking about that piss-water colored swill sold by Bud, Miller and Coors ... then I agree)

Since the collective wisdom on this Forum likes comparing the stats of 7 year old girls teams and arguing over what Pre-DA, Pre-ECNL, PREpubescent 7v7 team could beat some other prepubescent 7v7 team from North Carolina, I bring you the Beer Advocate's beer stats:

'Merica has no beer in the top 100 with a score lower than 4.5. None lower. https://www.beeradvocate.com/lists/us/

As we move up to visit our so-called-friends in Canada the beer situation get's worse, much worse. https://www.beeradvocate.com/lists/ca/ Please make note of the fact that the Highest Ranking Canadian beer has a score of 4.45 (style is American Imperial Stout, which was really put on the map by Founders Brewing Company in Grand Rapids, Michigan), the first 10 beers all are styles defined here in the States, Belgium and Russia. Does Canada even have their own style of beer?

@oh canada, aside from being world leaders in Zamboni technology, I think we can add one more reason to the list:
LOVE this post MWN! And agree, it's a topic that actually matters vs. who is going to win State/National Cup...yawn.

Us Canadiens or Canadians as Americans spell, are common folk with no regard for foofy clothes, metrosexual beauty products, plastic surgery, nor high-maintenance beer. So, when claiming to have the best, I'm talking about the brands available to the masses, in the bars and at the local liquor stores. The brands that matter. Those that we drink after shooting moose, fishing the lake or skating home from work (it's really a thing in cities like Ottawa). Not those unknown beers that some guy wearing only his underwear and a handlebar moustache concocted in his Portland basement, entered a contest and won. So yes, I'm talking about Molson vs. Budweiser et al. No contest. I'm thirsty.

"South America’s top soccer official on Thursday rejected an invitation to take part in a proposed intercontinental tournament hosted and financed by U.S. Soccer in the summer of 2020, saying the continent’s governing body preferred to maintain the primacy of its own continental championship, the Copa América.

U.S. Soccer President Carlos Cordeiro had made the offer for a combined tournament featuring South America’s 10 teams and six from the region comprising North and Central America and the Caribbean in a letter earlier this week. U.S. Soccer’s offer would have been worth tens of millions of dollars for the South American teams, their regional rivals who took part, and the two confederations governing soccer in the Americas.

But in a letter to Cordeiro dated Wednesday, first reported by the Brazilian news outlet Globo, the president of the South American federation, Alejandro Dominguez, categorically rejected the invitation to a proposed Continental Cup in 2020. Dominguez’s letter cited a lack of FIFA approval for the new event, but also a preference to prioritize the Copa América, which is the oldest international soccer championship in the world.

why is the USSF in the soccer tournament promotion business anyway? Don't see that in the charter or anything like that and they have more pressing things to spend resouces on like hiring some coaches for the YNT or something that acutally helps soccer in the usa? Giving away millions in incentives to play in promotional tournments seems like a profit for business.
Build the Wall.

USSF obviously did it because it made $50 million off the Copa Centenario (a one off event), which is the primary source of USSF's current surplus. It was presumptuous of the USSF to think Conmebol would be interested in a tournament that effectively copies Copa America (even with the offer of healthy financial incentives). The fact that USSF didn't even have FIFA approval smacks of a desperate attempt to make US Soccer relevant after missing the World Cup. I'm not opposed to USSF hosting a profitable international tournament but this one was not well conceived.

USSF obviously did it because it made $50 million off the Copa Centenario (a one off event), which is the primary source of USSF's current surplus. It was presumptuous of the USSF to think Conmebol would be interested in a tournament that effectively copies Copa America (even with the offer of healthy financial incentives). The fact that USSF didn't even have FIFA approval smacks of a desperate attempt to make US Soccer relevant after missing the World Cup. I'm not opposed to USSF hosting a profitable international tournament but this one was not well conceived.

From what I have heard, US Soccer floated the idea to a few of the other South American federations (CBF, etc.) who were in favor (money was good). The response was, yes, we would be interested, however, why don't you offer it to Conmebol first. US Soccer did, and got a response that may have been expected. No problem, US Soccer will just switch gears and invite various federations, skipping Conmebol altogether. We will still likely see the Brazilians and other higher level countries interested and as long as no conflict with their regional tournament, participation should be good.

Back