USWNT

halftime: Round 1 to the Dutch. Canada hanging on. Just need to play through the midfield. Every goal kick is a turnover. Feel like I'm watching the old Hope Solo days on goal kicks. Huitema doing fine, causing some issues. Schmidt needs to be better in midfield, a couple really bad balls that resulted in turnovers. Canada can play through the middle, they just need to trust it. And if they mess up while doing so, so be it. Buchanan and Lawrence playing great. Buchanan on a yellow now though.

Incredible bicycle kick attempt by Dutch #10. Might be the best possession soccer in the world. France a close second. Spain 3rd, USA 4th.

Game of the group round so far, as expected.

halftime: Round 1 to the Dutch. Canada hanging on. Just need to play through the midfield. Every goal kick is a turnover. Feel like I'm watching the old Hope Solo days on goal kicks. Huitema doing fine, causing some issues. Schmidt needs to be better in midfield, a couple really bad balls that resulted in turnovers. Canada can play through the middle, they just need to trust it. And if they mess up while doing so, so be it. Buchanan and Lawrence playing great. Buchanan on a yellow now though.

Incredible bicycle kick attempt by Dutch #10. Might be the best possession soccer in the world. France a close second. Spain 3rd, USA 4th.

Game of the group round so far, as expected.

You could see that goal coming. Buchanan got beat.

Canada Sinclair goal - great demo video for all those youth team practices timing to put the ball in front of a teammate's rush to the far post.

I give second half to Canada despite the score. Agree MAP, Buchanan out of position but i put the second goal more on the goalie then her. Goalie had a couple nervy moments. But they played more thru midfield second half and with ball on the ground. Good. A few good half-chances by Canada in second half. Other than the goal, Dutch didn't have as many scoring chances in second half.

MAP - what's your take on Fleming? I felt like she seemed outsized in this game---a little small--pushed around a bit. The Dutch are big I know, but hmmm, do you ever get that feeling on the UCLA pitch with Fleming? A couple inches and 10 lbs could do her some good. She's still young.

Might see more of Huitema after a solid performance. Dutch will handle Japan with ease. Hopefully, Canucks get Sweden.

Sweden really has nothing to lose in this game. So go out and high press the USA and make them earn their goals. That will be better prep for the US too. If Sweden parks the bus, the game will be a snoozefest.

Back