USMNT - Turning Point?

The anticipated line up for the US MNT game against Mexico this Friday (9/6/2019) looks like this (Name, (International or MLS), current Transfer Market Value):

Steffen (I) $5.7M

Dest (I) $684k --- Long (M) $1.71M --- Brooks (I) $17.1M --- Lima (M) $969K

McKennie (I) $22M --- Morales (I) $2.85M

Boyd (I) $1.71M --- Pomykal (M) $912k --- Pulisic (I) $68.4M

Zardes (M) $3.99M​

I'm feeling good that we are now at a turning point. 7 International players v. 4 MLS players.

We may actually be competitive against Mexico.

The anticipated line up for the US MNT game against Mexico this Friday (9/6/2019) looks like this (Name, (International or MLS), current Transfer Market Value):

Steffen (I) $5.7M

Dest (I) $684k --- Long (M) $1.71M --- Brooks (I) $17.1M --- Lima (M) $969K

McKennie (I) $22M --- Morales (I) $2.85M

Boyd (I) $1.71M --- Pomykal (M) $912k --- Pulisic (I) $68.4M

Zardes (M) $3.99M​

I'm feeling good that we are now at a turning point. 7 International players v. 4 MLS players.

We may actually be competitive against Mexico.

$225million in wages for that crew, I dunno?

My son would tell you he could do a lot better with that kind of money or less FIFA style on the trade market.

Nice to see some young guns and new blood on the USA let's see how those players develop.

The $225M is the Transfer Market Value, not necessarily what the players receive in salary. Think of it like an estimate of the fair market value of the player. Some players are making their FMV in wage and some are underpaid and some are overpaid.

The $225M is the Transfer Market Value, not necessarily what the players receive in salary. Think of it like an estimate of the fair market value of the player. Some players are making their FMV in wage and some are underpaid and some are overpaid.

Who makes that estimate?

"espola, post: 285942, member: 3"]Who makes that estimate?
I used this, which is crowd-sourced, but surprisingly accurate: https://www.transfermarkt.us/
The transfer value is only estimated and until there is a transfer, nobody knows the current value. Pulisic's value of 68.4M is actually under the last transaction value of $73.1M, but over the previous $63M offer.

Considering the entire MLS payroll is around $290million for 2019 the trade value of the 7 players mentioned is not a good deal.

@jpeter,
Keep in mind that these numbers are only the estimated market value of the players on the US Squad. If we look at Trinidad-Tobago the market value will be lower, if we look at England, the market value will dwarf the US team. US Soccer isn't paying this, these guys are showing up because 'Merica and a small paycheck. National teams don't select players purely on market value, rather, its the coach's philosophy. This is the first time that I can remember where the International players are more prominent than the MLS wannabes. Things are looking up.

@jpeter,
Keep in mind that these numbers are only the estimated market value of the players on the US Squad. If we look at Trinidad-Tobago the market value will be lower, if we look at England, the market value will dwarf the US team. US Soccer isn't paying this, these guys are showing up because 'Merica and a small paycheck. National teams don't select players purely on market value, rather, its the coach's philosophy. This is the first time that I can remember where the International players are more prominent than the MLS wannabes. Things are looking up.

Yeah but the us is still spending a bunch of $$ for not even qualifying. How much does ussf spend on the men's programing each year?

LAFC the leagues top team has a $14 million dollar payroll and they are likely better vs the national team so we're either not selecting the correct players or spending too much for what we get. Time to either blow up the program and start over or start producing.

And some say our soccer culture and understanding is improving...

So much I want to type right now, but I am just going to let it go.

If Mexico would have lost 3-0, the coach would be fired the next day.
Get rid of Berhalter, the sooner the better.
He’s horrible.

What is the USA doing?
https://www-starsandstripesfc-com.c...-3-mexico-if-sisyphus-was-about-a-soccer-team

"It’s just a friendly though, which does raise some questions, I’m sure Wil Trapp was up for this and Gyasi Zardes absolutely was the right call at striker and that I’d have chosen to watch what transpired even if I wasn’t obligated to so I could write this recap. Who wouldn’t want to see two players from the 4th worst team in MLS this year start against Mexico? Of course, the last time these sides met, Gregg Berhalter was out-coached by Tata Martino and did things like use his last sub while down a goal on Daniel Lovitz, so this seems pretty inline with what’s happened before"

USMNT fans’ hopes and dreams were realized when Daniel Lovitz checked into the game for Dest. Perhaps more promising though, (except it wouldn’t be) Zardes was pulled for Sargent in the 67th minute.

Despite playing out of the back not doing much to get the attack going, the US kept at it. Having grown comfortable with the fact that the American attack wasn’t leading to much of anything, Mexico even stepped back a bit. Still, they managed a coup de grace when a backpass left Steffen with the option to send it long or play it out of his goal and, despite the team being way too disorganized for that to be the right choice, that’s what he did. Erick Gutierrez pounced on Steffen’s bad pass and made the game 2-0."

" The game ended as the US lost 3-0 to Mexico in the House that Mark Sanchez built. It was an overall exasperating game - from the lineup to the team’s inability to adjust to what Mexico was doing to the team repeatedly making the same mistakes throughout the game. A process is one thing, but stubbornly clinging to something that is failing won’t help the team get to where it needs to be"

Time to scrap the whole thing! Nobody is watching anyway. They suck. Nothing to get excited about whatsoever. :(

Well that was certainly a turn in the wrong direction. Worst result against Mexico in 10 years. I think you have to give Berhalter some more time, but there aren't a whole lot of reasons to be optimistic. While I think the idea of having more European trained players is good in theory I'm not sure its what is going to turn this program around (I'm not claiming that MLS players are the better option, I'm just saying that the league may not matter). Klinsmann pushed that concept for 5 years and it didn't bear any fruit. His European, dual citizen, golden child was Julian Green who turned out to pretty much be a bust. Something is fundamentally wrong with how US Soccer is developing the men's national team. I don't know what it is, but I know US Soccer's arrogance is not helping the situation.

Klinsmann did bear fruit.
Beat Portugal in Confederation Cup and played in the finals.
Played in WC in Brazil.
Got out of pool play in Brazil
and played OT to Belgium when Wondoloski missed a sitter to move on to the next round.
We were much, much further with Klinsmann.

Klinsmann did bear fruit.
Beat Portugal in Confederation Cup and played in the finals.
Played in WC in Brazil.
Got out of pool play in Brazil
and played OT to Belgium when Wondoloski missed a sitter to move on to the next round.
We were much, much further with Klinsmann.

For fruit I was thinking a big ole pineapple, not a little kumquat. I'm fairly confident that it was Spain they beat in the Confederations Cup and that Bradley was the coach. Klinsmann's teams are probably better than what we have know but that's a pretty low bar.

I don't know what it is, but I know US Soccer's arrogance is not helping the situation.

What have we ever done to be arrogant about? If you were talking about the women’s side, sure. Plenty to warrant some arrogance. But the men’s side? Head scratcher!

What have we ever done to be arrogant about? If you were talking about the women’s side, sure. Plenty to warrant some arrogance. But the men’s side? Head scratcher!
Not the teams, US Soccer as an organization, or I should say its management.

Not the teams, US Soccer as an organization, or I should say its management.

Oh, okay. I get where you’re coming from. The arrogance of having an organization that is making tons of money, regardless of the success of the product they produce. Simple minded people, coming from a biz point of view. Thought and investment into better development of the product is not priority.

Back