US Soccer / NWSL - Independent Investigation Report

No 5 coaches suspended from NWSL, 3 out of the 5 college coaches so yeah the majority says otherwise.

Yates report only covers the abuse up until Oct 2021
2 additional coaches let go bewtween that time and June 2022.

Your lacking facts attempt to spin this any other way goes to your lack of creditable or other motives.
It started at the youth, jumped over the college game and only happen at the Pro level from the Pro coaches. This behavior has been going on since the beginning of time. The girls don't want to be yelled at. They don't want to be lied to and manipulated. I love women because they like the hearing the truth and their tough as nails. If you yell as coach, learn not to yell. If you have hard time, seek help. If you can't stop yelling at females, coach some other place. Women want to be treated with respect, hello!!!

How about you remember they are athletes and don't treat them like a piece of meat, prostitute, or sex slave for your own enjoyment? It's a pretty simple rule to follow except for those that are egotistical power hungry narcissistic jackoffs. My daughter is not on your team for your own pleasure and entertainment for you to manipulate, pressure, bully, and harass her whenever you feel like it. What is going to create true change? don't feel too hopeful about it as there is an insidious malicious aspect that will continue to thrive, perpetuated by those in power. I fear it will just go underground for a bit till things calm down and this will still go on.

"Youth & Up" needs changing she said. Change is needed and change is coming. Soccer is a beautiful sport and girls love to play with their friends and have fun and support each other and compete. Something happen that took the fun a way and made it so cut throat and so many other things. Soccer by itself should be fun and bring happiness to one's soul, IMOO!!!I I look forward to the day that change happens and soccer will be just a sport to be played, to grow from, to learn from and to be respected from, not used as a weapon or some admissions or for someone's abusive nature. Tad Bobak has over 40 years of coaching the female youth. I'm not talking about Tad the biz man or anything about the Blues. I'm only talking about the way Tad talked and treated top female soccer players in our country. Maybe someone should listen to him and talk with his former players. We have many good coaches out there 100% and we need to hear from them. Let's see what happens. TY Tad for not yelling at my dd for over two years of her being coach in her important youth years. You set the standard, TY!

Owners, executives and coaches failed to act on years of reports ((I tried to talk to the higher ups in 2017 about a few things and I was told to STFU or else. I came on here because no one at soccer head quarters wanted to hear from a crazy ass emotional hawk dad like me. I have pals who went through the same stuff in college and their dd was punished and retaliated against because of speaking out on cold hearted yellers and abusers))

“Teams, the League, and the Federation not only repeatedly failed to respond appropriately when confronted with player reports and evidence of abuse, they also failed to institute basic

measures to prevent and address it, even as some leaders privately acknowledged the need for workplace protections,” the report noted.

“As a result, abusive coaches moved from team to team, laundered by press releases thanking them for their service, and positive references from teams that minimized or even concealed misconduct. Those at the NWSL and USSF in a position to correct the record stayed silent.

In general, teams, the NWSL, and USSF appear to have prioritized concerns of legal exposure to litigation by coaches—and the risk of drawing negative attention to the team or League—over player safety and well-being,” the report noted.

I tried to speak up you guys, I really did. I did it because what I saw was wrong. Maybe my style ((satire mixed with truth)) was a little different for some of you, but I needed to wake some of you up because no one at HQs took me serious. In fact, I was told to STFU or my dd chance of anything National or local is over because of my big mouth. All the girls and women who need to speak up and share their stories will now, so let's give them that chance, without fear of punishment or losing the opportunity to play a sport they love to play, whatever the level of play, pro or youth. This is a systematic abuse problem in the beautiful game of female girls soccer. Can't we all just pause for a few and get this right so the next group of girls can be treated better and with respect this time. Too much power in some coaches hands. In 2017, these Docs/Coach/US Soccer Training Center Director ((yes, some held 3 positions in soccer and some worked as scouts for US Soccer))) for the GDA had something all top players wanted. The top players wanted to make The List for U14, U15, U16, U17 and U18 National Team. I kept saying to anyone who would listen that this much power in one of the bad docs hands is dangerous for the players trying to get his recommendation. They all moved round to round you guys.

Last edited:
I Listened to a podcast about this topic and they mentioned that 70% of one of the NWSL club players had been verbally abused during their youth soccer years. Some of the girls didn’t even know the difference between abuse and regular coach talk. A lot of these coaches start their bad behavior at the youth level. We all know who they are and where they coached. All these idiots who think they are bigger than life got away with it because parents allowed it.
They ((Coach, Doc, club owner)) have connections to what the parents want. It's a big biz. That middleman Rick the Singer got rich parents to pay $250,000 per spot on a sports team. No promise of play time, just admissions. Based on these facts, some parents are willing to "pay whatever it takes" to play and get on the team. We really need to rescue the sport of soccer so it's free. We also need to set free dd and just let her go have fun and play this great sport. At the right age, they can decide which route to take in soccer. The biggest bummer for me besides all the lies in 2017-2018 was the fact my kid was kicked out of a league from US Soccer that would not allow the girls to play locally and with their peers in high school. The mental anguish teens went through was tough in the travel league. Missed days of school, 10 months of 4 to 5 days a week of soccer only. Told not to play locally with their friends)) English dudes had no clue the importantance of playing soccer with your friends at school and try and win CIF. When the girls at the private schools told the league and their dads to F off and their playing HSS anyways, they changed the rules at the last minute to allow the Private School kids a waiver but no waiver for the poor hss student at public school. I was told to STFU and go play ECNL and be happy...lol!

Last edited:
I think students at private universities have protections similar to employees. I think students at public universities have more protection than employees. I think the problem that students have is that they can’t afford a lawyer from the beginning of the “administrative” process through trial if necessary.

1. Whether private or public school students, the fight begins by familiarizing oneself with the student handbook similar to how employees have to familiarize themselves with their employment handbook to know their rights for protection;

2. Public universities are government actors, so in theory the Constitution should provide protection through a due process claim. The Constitution requires fairness. So if a student can prove a.) They were treated unfairly and b.). they suffered damages from the unfair treatment, they should in theory prevail with their “ConstitutionalTort” due process claim.
3. Private universities are not government actors so the student handbook is essentially a contract between the school and student. Inherent in every contract whether explicitly stated or not is the “Implied Covenant of Good Faith and Fair Dealing.” So again, if a student can a.) prove they were treated unfairly and b.) prove damages they prevail under contract law for a breach of the Implied Covenant of Good Faith and Fair Dealing.

I don’t think most students have the money to pay for an attorney. These are not the types of cases attorneys take on contingency. Most pro bono attorneys would rather help a family getting evicted, a disabled person apply for SSDI, elder abuse, wrongful convictions etc.

so yeah, I see access to good attorneys as the problem.
Unfortunately filing a claim with the OCR doesn't really do much to protect a student. Even with a finding by the OCR, nothing much happens unless of course it is a heavily reported case with multiple people and it certainly doesn't happen timely. The whole process takes at least a year and many cases are open for 2 or more years. Also, it depends on what administration is in leadership that determines how cases are handled. It is a big paper pushing exercise with little to no impact on protecting students.

Like members of the women’s swim team, women’s soccer players also had their complaints ignored by athletic department administrators.

“We started talking and the two [administrators] looked at us like we had five heads,” Sekany said. “They said they had never heard anything bad about Neil McGuire. When we used terms like ‘emotional abuse,’ they were condescending in a way, as if we didn’t understand the implications of using terminology like that — which we did. We discussed it at length and decided it was absolutely an appropriate term to describe what he’d been doing to us.”

Years earlier, Koski said her formal complaint was also ignored by administrators.

Cal told KTVU that it was conducting a review of the allegations against McGuire. But nothing has been released publicly in the nearly two years since, and he has continued to coach, uninterrupted, during that time. The university’s communications director told KTVU in 2020 that “this year’s recruiting class for our women’s soccer team was ranked No. 1 in the country, a sure sign of the program’s quality and excellent reputation.”

McGuire’s squad has actually underperformed under his leadership as of late. Over the past two seasons, Cal has gone just 13-14-4. During McGuire’s 15-year tenure, Cal has been to 12 NCAA Tournaments, but only one since 2018. The farthest they’ve been in the NCAA tournament under McGuire is the second round, and they haven’t made it that far since 2014. His contract was renewed this year.

Unfortunately filing a claim with the OCR doesn't really do much to protect a student. Even with a finding by the OCR, nothing much happens unless of course it is a heavily reported case with multiple people and it certainly doesn't happen timely. The whole process takes at least a year and many cases are open for 2 or more years. Also, it depends on what administration is in leadership that determines how cases are handled. It is a big paper pushing exercise with little to no impact on protecting students.
And...it is worth mentioning...the Berkeley coach issues probably couldn't be filed with the OCR unless the complaint could show the players were abused because of their inclusion of a protected class (i.e. gender, disability etc.) There is no protections from emotional abuse in and of itself that I am aware of. Can they make the argument they were abused because they were a female? Were they sexually harassed? Then they are part of a protected class. If not, then I don't believe they have any where to go.

No 5 coaches suspended from NWSL, 3 out of the 5 college coaches so yeah the majority says otherwise.

Yates report only covers the abuse up until Oct 2021
2 additional coaches let go bewtween that time and June 2022.

Your lacking facts attempt to spin this any other way goes to your lack of creditable or other motives.

I'm not sure what you are talking about. Again, 2 of the 3 coaches who were investigated in the Yates report never coached college, and the third coached college 25 years ago in D2 or D3, and did not have scholarships. James Clarkson at Dash was also suspended this year, and he also never coached college. Nor did Farid Benstiti who also stepped down from Reign. Richie Burke was fired by Spirit and he also never coached soccer. The only NWSL coach that I am aware of who has been suspended who had any real college experience is Cromwell, and no one knows what she allegedly did, let alone whether it has merit.

I am not trying to spin anything. The only ones spinning anything are those claiming that college scholarships causes harassment in the NWSL despite overwhelming facts establish the contrary.

I'm not sure what you are talking about. Again, 2 of the 3 coaches who were investigated in the Yates report never coached college, and the third coached college 25 years ago in D2 or D3, and did not have scholarships. James Clarkson at Dash was also suspended this year, and he also never coached college. Nor did Farid Benstiti who also stepped down from Reign. Richie Burke was fired by Spirit and he also never coached soccer. The only NWSL coach that I am aware of who has been suspended who had any real college experience is Cromwell, and no one knows what she allegedly did, let alone whether it has merit.

I am not trying to spin anything. The only ones spinning anything are those claiming that college scholarships causes harassment in the NWSL despite overwhelming facts establish the contrary.

5 coaches suspended from NWSL not 2 or 3.

The yates report only covers to Oct 2021 and just part of the problems.

Did you miss all the other recent interviews, articles, testimonials or are you ignoring the facts and the bigger picture?

General FYI...
  • Division 1 athletic programs can offer full ride scholarships
  • Division 2 athletic programs can offer partial scholarships
  • Division 3 does not offer athletic scholarships
All 3 of these can "bend the rules" + mix academic or "needs based" scholarships to make things happen if they really want a player.

You keep saying that LIU which is D1 now + D2 in the past doesn't count because D2 doesn't give scholarships. Your statement is simply wrong, first D2 can offer partial scholarships, second D2 schools can mix other types of scholarships to achieve the same type of goal which is to lower the cost of attending college.

Either way it's guaranteed that Paul Riley while he was a college coach was familiar with how scholarships work + the leverage he has over players because of them.

We are having a discussion about whether 30% or 50% of NWSL coaches engaged in sexual harrassment.

That’s not a few bad apples. That’s a bad culture.

This is the no spin forum Surf Futbol. Welcome to the fabulous socal soccer forum btw. The Yates Report ((TYR)) was done because the very best pro female soccer players in our country had some things they needed to share about those who yelled and screamed at them over the years in the Pros ((including youth and I do believe 99% of them all went to college)) to break them down and then build them up and then they get all the credit for the development and even a small few went for more sexual things. It's simple. Yelling and screaming at any female in soccer needs to stop.

5 coaches suspended from NWSL not 2 or 3.

The yates report only covers to Oct 2021 and just part of the problems.

Did you miss all the other recent interviews, articles, testimonials or are you ignoring the facts and the bigger picture?

Who are you talking about? Holly - no college head coaching experience; Dames - no college head coaching experience; Riley - coached D3 with no scholarships 20+ years ago. Neither of the Thorns execs who were fired in the aftermath of the Yates report (Wilkinson and LaHue) or the owner who stepped aside (Paulson) had college coaching or exec experience. Of those who were fired under the shadow of harassment allegations before the Yates report, they also didn't seem to have college experience, including Gotham GM La Hue, former Spirit HC Burke and former Reign Coach Benstiti. Nothing supports @Carlsbad7's assertion that getting rid of college scholarships will get rid of harassment. If anything, the lack of former college coaches and administrators who have been involved in the NWSL scandal suggests that exact opposite.

It seems like the two of you are trying to reverse engineer a reason to support your pre-existing dislike of college scholarships. You really think that paying players the minimum wage (roughly $8,000 a year) to play college soccer instead of giving out scholarships would mean the end of harassment in the NWSL?

Who are you talking about? Holly - no college head coaching experience; Dames - no college head coaching experience; Riley - coached D3 with no scholarships 20+ years ago. Neither of the Thorns execs who were fired in the aftermath of the Yates report (Wilkinson and LaHue) or the owner who stepped aside (Paulson) had college coaching or exec experience. Of those who were fired under the shadow of harassment allegations before the Yates report, they also didn't seem to have college experience, including Gotham GM La Hue, former Spirit HC Burke and former Reign Coach Benstiti. Nothing supports @Carlsbad7's assertion that getting rid of college scholarships will get rid of harassment. If anything, the lack of former college coaches and administrators who have been involved in the NWSL scandal suggests that exact opposite.

It seems like the two of you are trying to reverse engineer a reason to support your pre-existing dislike of college scholarships. You really think that paying players the minimum wage (roughly $8,000 a year) to play college soccer instead of giving out scholarships would mean the end of harassment in the NWSL?

Wow and today 2 more coaches banned and fired and yet you still don't get it

: Cromwell and Greene fired but long time college coaches

Back