University of California votes to restore affirmative action nearly 24 years after it was outlawed

This is off topic. NO one is arguing for free tuition or not. But that if one wants to go to a different high school, our current system requires you to be in a specific zipcode or if private, pay for it. This means that those without the means have to go to public schools. Our other friend is suggesting that free market will fix it and I bring up one point which is it takes money to make these choices. A better way would be to just knowledge to purchase admissions, like a test, those who score the highest get into the best high schools.

You brought it up... now it's off topic? You can always request a transfer or find a charter school. You won't necessarily get it, but if a kid is in a shitty school, chances are the entire district is shitty. So the high school 2 miles the other direction isn't likely to be better and, if you're in that shitty district to begin with, you don't have the means to travel far anyway. How would "those with the best test scores" get to a high school 30 minutes away? Not an option for most kids. If there was 1 great school, wouldn't everybody want to be there? Then how do you decide who gets in? Does someone get in over a higher performing kid because of ethnicity? Hardship? Slippery slope that's already FUBAR'd.

If there was 1 great school, wouldn't everybody want to be there? Then how do you decide who gets in?

Like Stuyvesant high, test scores. Its much better than our current system: zipcodes. It is because of zipcodes that I support affirmative action based on income levels.

This is off topic. NO one is arguing for free tuition or not. But that if one wants to go to a different high school, our current system requires you to be in a specific zipcode or if private, pay for it. This means that those without the means have to go to public schools. Our other friend is suggesting that free market will fix it and I bring up one point which is it takes money to make these choices. A better way would be to just knowledge to purchase admissions, like a test, those who score the highest get into the best high schools.

This is " OFF TOPIC " and when YOU act like your looking for a hand out....you will be treated as such....!

PARENTING IS THE SOLUTION....!
NOT LETTING THE " GOVT " RAISE YOUR CHILDREN.....!

If you cannot see that, then all I can hope for is that your downstream has an Epiphany..!

Like Stuyvesant high, test scores. Its much better than our current system: zipcodes. It is because of zipcodes that I support affirmative action based on income levels.

How long are you going to hit your head on the wall.....

Just be a " PARENT "......It's quite simple !

The high school he went to is a very prestigious high school. Only the smartest kids can get admissions. It is not based on zipcode.
You just have to be smart enough to be a part of the Great Migration of blacks that moved there for better opportunities.

You only have freedom to move if you can afford it. Pay to play. If you can pay yourself to play in a good team, then problem solved. Yes, you can always say, the person who lived in a bad neighborhood can go to a private school instead. What if he doesn't have the money?
You borrow it, use credit, apply for scholarships, get a job, become a soccer ref! Kinda like a lot of folks do today. Lol!

However, as in many economics textbook, there is a chapter called "market failure" which is usually taught towards the end which the teachers will skip if the class had been dumbed down. This is where the market fails to allocate resources correctly. Situations where this arises are : imperfect information, externalizes, in deterministic events and game theory and are subjects of more advanced economics courses.
LMAO!! What is the cause of the markets alleged failure to allocate resources correctly? What makes information imperfect? What is "externalizes"? Lol! Advanced economics? For you maybe.

Also we don't exactly live in a free market as described by Adam Smith. If we lived in such a world, free market is indeed a very good way to resolve a lot of these. We live in a very special form of market known as Capitalism. M-> C- >M' .
Why don't we live in a free market? Beside Corona Virus and Rioting I mean.

What's wrong with public schools? The freakin' PUSD Billion dollar bonds! That's what!

Why don't we live in a free market? Beside Corona Virus and Rioting I mean.

We don't live in a free market as written by Adam Smith in the wealth of nations. Marx later describe the specific form of free market he lived in, which is Capitalism. I used to not know that I was a Libetarian when I first studied economics because the early chapters of any economics textbook appear to have all answers in the market.

But I didn't need Marx to tell me what was wrong with it. The latter chapters of any economics textbook already talks about failures of free market: eg. market information, game theory, monopoly etc. etc. which causes free market to not efficiently allocate resources.

Marx went on to refine Adam Smith's theory. In his book Capital, Marx showed that Capitalism is the best system to generate profit and to promote technological advances. Marx is still "classical" in the sense that he does not even yet go into game theory or asymmetry of information etc. etc.

We don't live in a free market as written by Adam Smith in the wealth of nations. Marx later describe the specific form of free market he lived in, which is Capitalism. I used to not know that I was a Libetarian when I first studied economics because the early chapters of any economics textbook appear to have all answers in the market.

But I didn't need Marx to tell me what was wrong with it. The latter chapters of any economics textbook already talks about failures of free market: eg. market information, game theory, monopoly etc. etc. which causes free market to not efficiently allocate resources.

Marx went on to refine Adam Smith's theory. In his book Capital, Marx showed that Capitalism is the best system to generate profit and to promote technological advances. Marx is still "classical" in the sense that he does not even yet go into game theory or asymmetry of information etc. etc.
What makes a market not free?

Quote from Blam Blam the Clam:
" We don't live in a free market "

You were " Free " enough to purchase the internet service that provides
access to this Forum and " Free " enough to post on this Forum that
utilizes " Free " market principals to subsist and provide YOU " Free "
service to post your Filthy Democrat/Marxist rants " Free " of removal
( So Far ) .....
You were " Free " enough to be able the food that sustained your Troll figure
that supports an " Itchy " wart on your nose so you could bitch about
school districts and different " Zip Codes ".....

It appears you have quite a bundle of FREEDOMS here in the UNITED STATES.....

Now go on and Git.....Go on Git...Git on with your " Bad " self and Be The Parent
you should be.....!

We don't live in a free market

Free market is a big word. There are many types of free market. If you quoted my full sentence you will see, i said : free market as described by Adam Smith in the wealth of nations. Key findings in his book were, when people are allowed to trade, overall welfare improves as people trade what they have excess with what they value. Therefore government should do most to promote free trade and not put up barriers to trade like quotas or taxes.

What makes a market not free?

There is no such thing as a perfect free market but is something approaches 80 or 90% free, we generally call it free. Free market benefits are simple, say you have a farmer makes cow milk. Another person a carpenter. The farmer have excess milk and the carpenter has excess furniture. They should both be allowed to trade and trade benefits both sides as they trade what they have excess with what they need. Government should stay out and maximize this trade until both parties voluntary stops. This ensures the best allocation of resources.

That's what is describe in the early chapters of any economics textbook. Sounds good in theory.

However, right away we can see problems called market failures:

1. Externalities. The cow farmer had his cows eat up all the "free" grass on our village hills and now our village lost all its nice green pastures. His cows also poop all over and making our natural habitat dirty. These causes the rest of us to not be able to enjoy our hills. These cost aren't factored into the farmer's cost of raising cows because they were available to him for free.

2. Game theory. The carpenter has non-perishable furniture. The farmer has perishable cow milk which he needs to trade in just a few days. The carpenter having bigger leverage can choose to hold out and not trade until the farmer;s time runs out with his expired milk. This "new" price is dictated by game theory (how well the carpenter plays his cards) and not free market supply and demand.

and i can probably list about 10 more reasons but will stop here.

Better education...
School vouchers have been suggested, initiatives put on the ballet, tax incentives debated to allow anyone who wants to attend private, chartered or higher academic public schools.
The teachers unions and the Democrats in California see that these initiatives are defeated.

Free market is a big word. There are many types of free market. If you quoted my full sentence you will see, i said : free market as described by Adam Smith in the wealth of nations. Key findings in his book were, when people are allowed to trade, overall welfare improves as people trade what they have excess with what they value. Therefore government should do most to promote free trade and not put up barriers to trade like quotas or taxes.

Oh Boy.....Business 101 with " Blam Blam "....go on....

Set the Table Mr Business....!

Psssssst ...You're way off base.

There is no such thing as a perfect free market but is something approaches 80 or 90% free, we generally call it free. Free market benefits are simple, say you have a farmer makes cow milk. Another person a carpenter. The farmer have excess milk and the carpenter has excess furniture. They should both be allowed to trade and trade benefits both sides as they trade what they have excess with what they need. Government should stay out and maximize this trade until both parties voluntary stops. This ensures the best allocation of resources.

That's what is describe in the early chapters of any economics textbook. Sounds good in theory.

However, right away we can see problems called market failures:

1. Externalities. The cow farmer had his cows eat up all the "free" grass on our village hills and now our village lost all its nice green pastures. His cows also poop all over and making our natural habitat dirty. These causes the rest of us to not be able to enjoy our hills. These cost aren't factored into the farmer's cost of raising cows because they were available to him for free.

2. Game theory. The carpenter has non-perishable furniture. The farmer has perishable cow milk which he needs to trade in just a few days. The carpenter having bigger leverage can choose to hold out and not trade until the farmer;s time runs out with his expired milk. This "new" price is dictated by game theory (how well the carpenter plays his cards) and not free market supply and demand.

and i can probably list about 10 more reasons but will stop here.

OMG.......!

https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/b/vector-cartoon-illustration-laughing-hyena-laughing-hyena-cartoon-illustration-133757365.jpg

Back