Univ of Oregon womens coach abusive?

Came back for first time in a long while to see if more details here about the Univ. of Oregon accusations and surprised to find nothing posted. Hope everyone is doing well and good. Oregon recruits should be aware:

Came back for first time in a long while to see if more details here about the Univ. of Oregon accusations and surprised to find nothing posted. Hope everyone is doing well and good. Oregon recruits should be aware:

He lost 1/3 or more of his roster. We know some players there, that bailed, but haven't pried. Suffice to say, lots of Ducks swimming in the portal.

... I figured it was just because he didn't win a single game all season.

A player recounted one incident in her freshman year. “It was my third practice of preseason, and I’m just starting to get used to how college soccer works and everything,” she said. “I hit the wrong touch, and he stopped the entire practice and asked me in front of everyone if I thought I was good enough. He ended up telling me that if I can’t make the right touch in soccer, I’m not just not good enough to play in the Pac-12, but I’m not good enough to play college soccer, and that I shouldn’t be there at all."

My good pals dd went through a similar situation. She was YNT and was a top forward in SoCal when she was 8th grader. 5 years later she gained some weight and lost her speed. Coach was pissed and tried to run her off. She was getting 80%+ soccer money and coach wanted it back and wanted the girl to leave. Pac 12 is tough soccer coaching.

No shakes the day before a big Pac 12 match up. Thoughts?

From the article: Some say they saw Abel’s “constant harping” on fitness as a form of body shaming. A road trip in 2022 provided what players say is an example.
“About half the team went out for milkshakes,” one player recounted, corroborated by another. “(A player) walks up to the car with hers, and (Abel) says, ‘What the (expletive) is that?’ and she goes, ‘It’s a milkshake.’ And Graeme responds, ‘Why the (expletive) would you get that on the day before the game? You need to throw that (expletive) out.’”

Thoughts on this?

No shakes the day before a big Pac 12 match up. Thoughts?

From the article: Some say they saw Abel’s “constant harping” on fitness as a form of body shaming. A road trip in 2022 provided what players say is an example.
“About half the team went out for milkshakes,” one player recounted, corroborated by another. “(A player) walks up to the car with hers, and (Abel) says, ‘What the (expletive) is that?’ and she goes, ‘It’s a milkshake.’ And Graeme responds, ‘Why the (expletive) would you get that on the day before the game? You need to throw that (expletive) out.’”

Thoughts on this?
I'll have to get the inside scoop. My daughter played for years with one of the 90 minute players that bailed. For me, there's too much squawking for it to be unfounded. He didn't win a single game. I'm sure that was an enormous blow to his ego.

You don't lose that many PAC 12 players, in a single season, unless there's merit to the accusations. When I heard my daughter's buddy went into the portal, I looked at the roster and almost fell over.

A player recounted one incident in her freshman year. “It was my third practice of preseason, and I’m just starting to get used to how college soccer works and everything,” she said. “I hit the wrong touch, and he stopped the entire practice and asked me in front of everyone if I thought I was good enough. He ended up telling me that if I can’t make the right touch in soccer, I’m not just not good enough to play in the Pac-12, but I’m not good enough to play college soccer, and that I shouldn’t be there at all."

My good pals dd went through a similar situation. She was YNT and was a top forward in SoCal when she was 8th grader. 5 years later she gained some weight and lost her speed. Coach was pissed and tried to run her off. She was getting 80%+ soccer money and coach wanted it back and wanted the girl to leave. Pac 12 is tough soccer coaching.
This is a prime example of why kids still in junior high shouldn’t be ID’d . Let high school happen and then see how it all shakes out.

This is a prime example of why kids still in junior high shouldn’t be ID’d . Let high school happen and then see how it all shakes out.
I spoke to a dear friend and his dd just quit soccer because of a mean yet successful coach. His verbal abuse is just too much for the future Lawyer.

What bothers me about the allegations against this coach is how many different types of abuse are being identified, the number of players making complaints, and the university backing the coach likely because of a financial incentive.

"Student Athletes" literally have zero power or protections in the college scholarship scam. Universities get all the rewards/benefits of running successful soccer program. Players might get a scholarship which in this case the coach threatened to take away at any kind of whim.

How is this any different than slavery or debt slavery scams cartels use to control people?

Look at how well pro teams treat their best players. This is happening because players are employees. Even if players were only making minimum wage. If a pro coach was doing the type of things the UO coach was doing players could go to the authorities and/or file a lawsuit. College players can't do either of these. Local police would defer to campus cops and no lawyer will take a case like this unless the there's police cases etc.

"Student Athletes" need to be treated as employees because Universities have too much power in the current scholarship driven relationship. The abuse needs to stop and players need to be able to earn a wage that's comparable to their level of talent in relation to the value their sport creates for universities.

What bothers me about the allegations against this coach is how many different types of abuse are being identified, the number of players making complaints, and the university backing the coach likely because of a financial incentive.

"Student Athletes" literally have zero power or protections in the college scholarship scam. Universities get all the rewards/benefits of running successful soccer program. Players might get a scholarship which in this case the coach threatened to take away at any kind of whim.

How is this any different than slavery or debt slavery scams cartels use to control people?

Look at how well pro teams treat their best players. This is happening because players are employees. Even if players were only making minimum wage. If a pro coach was doing the type of things the UO coach was doing players could go to the authorities and/or file a lawsuit. College players can't do either of these. Local police would defer to campus cops and no lawyer will take a case like this unless the there's police cases etc.

"Student Athletes" need to be treated as employees because Universities have too much power in the current scholarship driven relationship. The abuse needs to stop and players need to be able to earn a wage that's comparable to their level of talent in relation to the value their sport creates for universities.
Great takes Carlsbad. I was a coach and almost did it full time. Regarding the milkshakes the day before a big match, this is how I would have handled it. I would have been super nice to the player. I would have said nothing about, "what the F is that?" I would not monitor what a player ate for food. I would offer a health coach and provide the healthiest food, especially pre-game meal. I knew guy back in high school that would eat like shit before games and would be the MVP. These girls are under so much mental stress. Sometimes a milkshake can make things feel better. I shared earlier that another one of my friends dd quit the game. The coach treated her horrible and wanted her gone from the program to free up cap space. Each coach has his/her own way to try and get a player to leave. I would be honest with the player but also honor our deal and treat my player with fairness, respect and dignity. Is college soccer a member of FIFA?

Great takes Carlsbad. I was a coach and almost did it full time. Regarding the milkshakes the day before a big match, this is how I would have handled it. I would have been super nice to the player. I would have said nothing about, "what the F is that?" I would not monitor what a player ate for food. I would offer a health coach and provide the healthiest food, especially pre-game meal. I knew guy back in high school that would eat like shit before games and would be the MVP. These girls are under so much mental stress. Sometimes a milkshake can make things feel better. I shared earlier that another one of my friends dd quit the game. The coach treated her horrible and wanted her gone from the program to free up cap space. Each coach has his/her own way to try and get a player to leave. I would be honest with the player but also honor our deal and treat my player with fairness, respect and dignity. Is college soccer a member of FIFA?
Did you see that the UO coach was making 170k and had a 5 year contract that the University would have to buy out if they let him go before the end of 5 years?

UO can pay a coach 170k per year but players get nothing? That doesn't make sense.

Did you see that the UO coach was making 170k and had a 5 year contract that the University would have to buy out if they let him go before the end of 5 years?

UO can pay a coach 170k per year but players get nothing? That doesn't make sense.
I had to look it up but the offensive coordinator for Oregon football makes $800k a year. About the same. I'd say they're hanging onto him because of his connections to the national program and leveraging that like any school would. With this many complaints, seems like there's enough to go on, plus he didn't win a single game last year. Maybe they just figure the portal is a nice insurance policy for him.

My favorite quote from his bio on the website. No truer words were ever spoken.

"Graeme Abel was named the fourth women's soccer head coach of the modern era on 12/30/2019, and has made an immediate impact on the program. In four seasons at the helm, he is 19-33-21."

I had to look it up but the offensive coordinator for Oregon football makes $800k a year. About the same. I'd say they're hanging onto him because of his connections to the national program and leveraging that like any school would. With this many complaints, seems like there's enough to go on, plus he didn't win a single game last year. Maybe they just figure the portal is a nice insurance policy for him.

My favorite quote from his bio on the website. No truer words were ever spoken.

"Graeme Abel was named the fourth women's soccer head coach of the modern era on 12/30/2019, and has made an immediate impact on the program. In four seasons at the helm, he is 19-33-21."
I am surprised he is still there as a coach based upon performance alone. His first two years he went 15-9-11, but that was with Kat Mertz's (still don't know why she resigned) players and recruits. The last two years are his alone and his record is 4-24-10. With these new allegations it is a great time to part ways, despite coming at such a late juncture. I have a friend whose DD is suppose to be playing there this year too. Also, noticed many players have just committed to play there via the portal.

I am surprised he is still there as a coach based upon performance alone. His first two years he went 15-9-11, but that was with Kat Mertz's (still don't know why she resigned) players and recruits. The last two years are his alone and his record is 4-24-10. With these new allegations it is a great time to part ways, despite coming at such a late juncture. I have a friend whose DD is suppose to be playing there this year too. Also, noticed many players have just committed to play there via the portal.
Forwarded this article to my friend. They knew nothing about this and are now concerned.

Forwarded this article to my friend. They knew nothing about this and are now concerned.
Yeah, they did an incredible job keeping it under wraps. Kudos to 'Oh Canada' for even finding it. Mertz is now at a teeny tiny school in Denver. I have to believe she was forced out, don't you?

I'll bet he doesn't want to resign because he won't get another job. Amato, at Florida, is still unemployed and his accusations were half as bad. If the accusations at Oregon are even 50% true, who would give him a program?

Even if they had to write him a going away check, which is equivalent to 1 year of a football assistant's salary, seems like a good investment compared to the lawsuits coming if he doesn't change.

I am glad they know now and don't envy their dilemma: send your 18yr old daughter away to spend most of her time with a seemingly abusive coach or make a last minute decision to attend another school and walk-on (hopefully they applied elsewhere) or just attend U/O without soccer. He may be on better behavior due to the exposure, but people with this type of personality and history usually can't keep it controlled for long. And now playing in the BigTen means A LOT of time on the road, in hotels, and isolated with soccer folks. I'd have the kid's club start making calls to other schools at the very least to see if anything else is out there and reference the article.

Yeah, they did an incredible job keeping it under wraps. Kudos to 'Oh Canada' for even finding it. Mertz is now at a teeny tiny school in Denver. I have to believe she was forced out, don't you?

I'll bet he doesn't want to resign because he won't get another job. Amato, at Florida, is still unemployed and his accusations were half as bad. If the accusations at Oregon are even 50% true, who would give him a program?

Even if they had to write him a going away check, which is equivalent to 1 year of a football assistant's salary, seems like a good investment compared to the lawsuits coming if he doesn't change.
I feel Mertz was forced out at Oregon. Kinda like Meyers at LMU. Neither program has been successful with the new coaching changes either. I didn’t see Oregon extending his contract prior to and especially now at the end of 2024 season. They will push any litigation until he’s gone.

I am glad they know now and don't envy their dilemma: send your 18yr old daughter away to spend most of her time with a seemingly abusive coach or make a last minute decision to attend another school and walk-on (hopefully they applied elsewhere) or just attend U/O without soccer. He may be on better behavior due to the exposure, but people with this type of personality and history usually can't keep it controlled for long. And now playing in the BigTen means A LOT of time on the road, in hotels, and isolated with soccer folks. I'd have the kid's club start making calls to other schools at the very least to see if anything else is out there and reference the article.
I don’t know what my friends DD will do as of yet. At least they know. I expect Oregon will struggle in the Big 10 more than they did in the PAC12 because of the physical play.

Two players I know reached out a few months back, around the Christmas timeframe.
One was thinking of bailing to go overseas, the other to discuss transferring options and ideas. They stated the same issues highlighted in the article.

More on this --

I spoke to a dear friend and his dd just quit soccer because of a mean yet successful coach. His verbal abuse is just too much for the future Lawyer.
I absolutely do not support coaches like this. they need to be run out. I do think some kids get too over hyped to young which creates a dangerous dynamic for them and coaches. Its a disastrous mix.

Back