U 20 Women's World Cup

socalkdg

PREMIER
Anyone watch the US France game? Was not impressed with the US team. Seemed France was the better team. Any time a pass was made to a midfielder France would steal it. They also seemed first to the ball, and were a much better heading team. First touches were not clean overall. Pugh and Sanchez a couple bright spots for the team, but that was about it. Near the end the US replaced forward Jessie Scarpa with Ally Watt and this seemed to help up top as I felt Ally Watt was much better than Scarpa. I apologize if someone's daughter here is Scarpa. :D

The scariest part is that not only was France better technically (by a significant margin), they had better athletes! They were slightly bigger and faster, as a whole, than the U.S. You could tell the some of the US players were a little shell shocked by how good France is. Like the announcer said, getting out of that game with 1 point was a win for the US. Looked like a mirror image of the U-17's, not a good sign. While Pugh and Sanchez had some nice runs, it was usually all individual. You're not going to beat France like that.

Anyone watch the US France game? Was not impressed with the US team. Seemed France was the better team. Any time a pass was made to a midfielder France would steal it. They also seemed first to the ball, and were a much better heading team. First touches were not clean overall. Pugh and Sanchez a couple bright spots for the team, but that was about it. Near the end the US replaced forward Jessie Scarpa with Ally Watt and this seemed to help up top as I felt Ally Watt was much better than Scarpa. I apologize if someone's daughter here is Scarpa. :D

I agree wholeheartedly. Outside of Pugh and Sanchez there were very few bright spots. Our midfield was non-existent. Ogle struggled to receive the ball let alone turn and do anything with it. There are a ton of Afro-French players so we were not going to out-athlete us and their technique in the midfield and up top was superb. A draw was a good result as it could have easily been 2-0.

The scariest part is that not only was France better technically (by a significant margin), they had better athletes! They were slightly bigger and faster, as a whole, than the U.S. You could tell the some of the US players were a little shell shocked by how good France is. Like the announcer said, getting out of that game with 1 point was a win for the US. Looked like a mirror image of the U-17's, not a good sign. While Pugh and Sanchez had some nice runs, it was usually all individual. You're not going to beat France like that.

France is sooooo good. Them and Spain are going to be problematic at the senior level very soon.

What cracks me up is all the talk and excitement of the USSDA coming in to help the USWNT develop players in their desired style of play. So explain why... whenever the USWNT U20's got a goal-kick the whole team shifts to one side of the field around the half way line to compete for the aimless launch from the keeper :) What happened to building out from the back? (My guess is it's too difficult for this staff to coach with any degree of confidence) Is that no longer the plan? We're going to demand that our Youth Soccer Clubs implement a specific style of play...but we'll give the coaches in the top job a pass? We're instead going to go back to the good old tried and tested hoof and run? It's won us World Cups in the past I guess! The Women's game and those player's moving through the "system" should be afraid. Success in results has blinded us to the massive deficiencies in our technical and tactical performance. France not only matched us physically, but they have a much better understanding and execution of the game....How does that happen? Well it happens because the hierarchy of USWNT continues to be a "buddy-club"...Why bother bringing in a new Academy to follow the same old dinosaurs....strip out the antiques and get some new, invigorating leadership into the big seats and focus the development of the younger players, on actual player development and education and not on creating a syphon of players into a tiny pool of kids, who will only be underwhelmed by their education and development, when they reach the coaches of yesteryear higher up the chain!

What cracks me up is all the talk and excitement of the USSDA coming in to help the USWNT develop players in their desired style of play. So explain why... whenever the USWNT U20's got a goal-kick the whole team shifts to one side of the field around the half way line to compete for the aimless launch from the keeper :) What happened to building out from the back? (My guess is it's too difficult for this staff to coach with any degree of confidence) Is that no longer the plan? We're going to demand that our Youth Soccer Clubs implement a specific style of play...but we'll give the coaches in the top job a pass? We're instead going to go back to the good old tried and tested hoof and run? It's won us World Cups in the past I guess! The Women's game and those player's moving through the "system" should be afraid. Success in results has blinded us to the massive deficiencies in our technical and tactical performance. France not only matched us physically, but they have a much better understanding and execution of the game....How does that happen? Well it happens because the hierarchy of USWNT continues to be a "buddy-club"...Why bother bringing in a new Academy to follow the same old dinosaurs....strip out the antiques and get some new, invigorating leadership into the big seats and focus the development of the younger players, on actual player development and education and not on creating a syphon of players into a tiny pool of kids, who will only be underwhelmed by their education and development, when they reach the coaches of yesteryear higher up the chain!

Great post! It's not the players it's the coaching of the players from the bottom up. Once the coach realized that France was better than the US team the "build out of the back" mantra went out the window! It transformed into kick it to Pugh and hope. Terrible.

Great post! It's not the players it's the coaching of the players from the bottom up. Once the coach realized that France was better than the US team the "build out of the back" mantra went out the window! It transformed into kick it to Pugh and hope. Terrible.
Dude she set out in a 4-4-2. Flat no less. When was the last time you saw that? Are you kidding me. And when ol #8 is bigger, faster, stronger, and more technical than your best you should have a better plan than knock it around the back and then send it over the top.

Dude she set out in a 4-4-2. Flat no less. When was the last time you saw that? Are you kidding me. And when ol #8 is bigger, faster, stronger, and more technical than your best you should have a better plan than knock it around the back and then send it over the top.

I agree. My daughter couldn't believe that they were not only getting outpossessed but they were BFS too. That was definitely a coaching opportunity.

Sorry meant #4. She is a beast.

Team looked much better vs New Zealand. Put Sanchez up top with Pugh, and both end up scoring. Big difference. Watt came in late and used her speed to score as well. Need to get her more playing time as well.

Watched the France Germany game, what a treat. If you want to see how far women's soccer has progressed, this is one to watch. France's # 7 is spectacular, but there were any number of players on either side that were just fantastic. I think physically, these teams have caught up to the US, technically all three (USA, France and Germany) are good, but tactically these teams were just on a different level. I think Japan should also be good...should make for some great semi's.

Ouch! I have not watched the US mexico game, but I did watch France dominate the US side. Short of one french yellow card the US might easily be out of the tourney. Now they have a reasonably easy route to finals, although North Korea has beaten them before. The side of the bracket with France, Germany Japan and Brazil was pretty stacked...with USA, Mexico Spain and N. Korea in the other. Anyway, what the USA is doing reminds me a lot of Germany in the early 2000's. Thought they could win with discipline, fitness and mentality....until they got their clock cleaned.

Ouch! I have not watched the US mexico game, but I did watch France dominate the US side. Short of one french yellow card the US might easily be out of the tourney. Now they have a reasonably easy route to finals, although North Korea has beaten them before. The side of the bracket with France, Germany Japan and Brazil was pretty stacked...with USA, Mexico Spain and N. Korea in the other. Anyway, what the USA is doing reminds me a lot of Germany in the early 2000's. Thought they could win with discipline, fitness and mentality....until they got their clock cleaned.

I just hope that they win tonight. 10pm game time on FS1.

I just hope that they win tonight. 10pm game time on FS1.
I do too, but I have watched every US game this tournament and I wouldn't put money on them. Both the U20 and U17 US teams looked like they have rarely practiced together and their pass completion rate was truly dismal. Maybe they should select some players that can pass and receive.

After reading the article, I went back and watched the US Mexico game. I though Mexico was the better side, but the US had a couple of players with some flair (Pugh and Sanchez). Other than that I did not see alot of skill, or tactical awareness. Does not bode well fro the future NT. One difference, almost all of the French and German players play in professional leagues, PSG, O. Lyon, Wolfsburg, Bayern, etc. while the US players are ether playing for some club team, or a college team. Neither one of which comes close to duplicating the experience of playing full time under top notch professional coaching.

Both Germany and France a a professional development system, for both men and women, that has consistent philosophy . Nothing of the kind here, with clubs by and large being more concerned with wins and losses than development, and colleges limited by NCAA rules. So while French's "system" of play is really just long ball, 'm not sure you can teach players the nuances of the game, after years of poor coaching.

Lastly, when I first started watching women's soccer, we used to cream Mexico. I wonder how come the Mexcan team can play much better soccer, with so many players US based?

Back