Turning Pro at 13

Congrats to Moultrie. Proving the doubters wrong.

Has a brace tonight for the USWNT (even if it wasn't the best competition) so think she's doing all right.

She and her parents made a decision and I say it was the right one. Everyone had their own path, don't listen to some people on here

I love it :) Let her go pro whenever she wants is my take. Same for basketball players. I'm still SMFH why any stud ball player can't sign at 16. This BS that they have to wait until 18 and also go to college for one year. Oh Please, #lethemgopro. Who needs college when pro is right around the corner? My dd was able to battle the great OM for two years at practice every week and let me tell you Soccer Fan 4 Life, this player loves to play soccer and is very happy when she plays and my dd says she is one of kind and is all in soccer 24/7. It's called freedom of choice. The free choice to be whatever the hell you want to be in life. My dd was approached to go pro as well back when she was 12. Of course I was blushing with dad pride and ego. I heard about dads sending kids to far away places to be a pro in soccer player for the boys ((my dd former All American coach left home at 15 to play in Holland with the flying Dutchman)). However, this new proposal for girls seemed whack if I were to be honest. I thought about her going pro for a few seconds and then it was a big fat, "hell no." I came on here with satire three years ago and so many damn fools thought I was serious about sending my daughter away at 13 to be trained by the "Pros." Ahhhhh, no thank you :)
Thanks Lastman for going back into time. Wow, the posts about OM and her dream to go Pro are coming back to bite some you in the ass. Girls Soccer should not be all about college only. Let FREEDOM rain. Let each player dream their dreams, to have fun and quit or get a college deal or go Pro or do both. Look where were at today with Girls Soccer. The best of the best is not going to college. Like I said a million tilmes, let the dreamer dream. I still think 13 might be a little too young to go Pro and send your dd away to soccer boarding school, but to each his and her own. Bottomline, she scored a Brace at the Gold Cup. Yes, it was against the Dominican Republic, but she is on the Woman's National Team, playing with the Thorns (although that place was abusing the players in the past) and has a very nice Nike deal. No one can say she hasn't worked her ass off to be the best of all the rest. She just signed a new deal through 2026. This is not the Marinovich Syndrome like one poster wrote. Go OM, go Thompson Sisters, Go Shaw, Go Rodman, Go AS, Go Morgan and Go USA!!!

Thanks Lastman for going back into time. Wow, the posts about OM and her dream to go Pro are coming back to bite some you in the ass. Girls Soccer should not be all about college only. Let FREEDOM rain. Let each player dream their dreams, to have fun and quit or get a college deal or go Pro or do both. Look where were at today with Girls Soccer. The best of the best is not going to college. Like I said a million tilmes, let the dreamer dream. I still think 13 might be a little too young to go Pro and send your dd away to soccer boarding school, but to each his and her own. Bottomline, she scored a Brace at the Gold Cup. Yes, it was against the Dominican Republic, but she is on the Woman's National Team, playing with the Thorns (although that place was abusing the players in the past) and has a very nice Nike deal. No one can say she hasn't worked her ass off to be the best of all the rest. She just signed a new deal through 2026. This is not the Marinovich Syndrome like one poster wrote. Go OM, go Thompson Sisters, Go Shaw, Go Rodman, Go AS, Go Morgan and Go USA!!!
Who’s mad about making around $220k dollars a year. Plus whatever else she makes off her endorsements at 18 years of age. I think it’s better than any job out of college at 22 years of age. She’s prob a millionaire already. Invest that money right over time. Not a bad gig for a girl. F16C36BA-58FE-4EFB-B816-E4A83E471F48.jpeg

Who’s mad about making around $220k dollars a year. Plus whatever else she makes off her endorsements at 18 years of age. I think it’s better than any job out of college at 22 years of age. She’s prob a millionaire already. Invest that money right over time. Not a bad gig for a girl.
What amazes me is the number of players that are probably similar talent level wasting their youth playing in college for a partial scholarship or no scholarship at all.

Who’s mad about making around $220k dollars a year. Plus whatever else she makes off her endorsements at 18 years of age. I think it’s better than any job out of college at 22 years of age. She’s prob a millionaire already. Invest that money right over time. Not a bad gig for a girl. View attachment 19906
She is on center stage and laughing all the way to da bank🤑🤑🤑🤑🤑🤑
Look at her point to all the haters👉👉👉👉👉

1708534992327.png

What amazes me is the number of players that are probably similar talent level wasting their youth playing in college for a partial scholarship or no scholarship at all.
She's a trailblazer. I'm not a fan to send your child to youth soccer boarding school at a young age but like I said before, let each child and family their dreams the way they want to.

I wouldn't say skipping college is a waste. If Moultrie starts having injuries, what does she have to fall back on?

I wouldn't say skipping college is a waste. If Moultrie starts having injuries, what does she have to fall back on?
She's only 18, so she has plenty of time. She has a pro contract and a Nike sponsorship deal. She could pursue a degree over the next few years while she lives her dream as a pro player. More power to her.

College isn't for everyone. My oldest was top 10 at her High School. Hated college (pandemic didn't help). Now she is in her dream job (flight attendant) making pretty good money, but also travelling the world for free (Paris, Portugal next month, Hawaii, Canada) in just her first year. Younger daughter playing soccer in college, liking that.

Do what you love, and put your best effort into it. Can't ask for more.

For every OM turning pro there are tons of players failing. It worked out for her but you alway need plan B. College can be plan B. A recent MLS rookie drafted 10th a few years back thought he had it made. He just got dropped from his MLS team and nobody has picked him up. He didn’t finish college and now has no job and no degree. Gotta have plan B as a backup.

You're probably right - but you also have to figure that the pot suddenly doesn't automatically become bigger if the number of players were to become larger. If there were thousands more playing "pro", regardless of abilities, each one is getting a smaller piece of the pie - even if the whole gets slightly larger with more attention/ticket prices/tv deals.

College isn't for everyone. My oldest was top 10 at her High School. Hated college (pandemic didn't help). Now she is in her dream job (flight attendant) making pretty good money, but also travelling the world for free (Paris, Portugal next month, Hawaii, Canada) in just her first year. Younger daughter playing soccer in college, liking that.

Love this socalkdg. I know a few plumbers that are doing very well in OC. One started working for his uncle after high school. Learned the trade and then went on his own. He pulls in over a million a year with him and his brother. Small mom & pop company. Another started college but hated it and told his old man he's going to be a plumber. Dad laughed at him. 20 years later, he has over 23 trucks and is pulling in $6,000,000 a year in revenue. My other buddy has a dd that went into sales out of high school, never went to college and is now one of the top realtors in Laguan Beach. I have another dear friend who became a doctor, did all the schooling and is killing it. My son's BFF got his degree two years ago and works at Home Depot. Wants to be a manager. His degree helped him finish something and Home Depot promoted him as a lead for his brains, with manager around the corner. Bottomline, whatever your child ends up doing, support them. Not everyone is fit for school. I hated most of school. Many of my professors wouldn't answer my questions and thought they knew it all. Pushing the girls in soccer with college only was always my big gripe on here and I paid the price for my complaints. So many called me names and made fun of me because they believe it's college soccer or bust. I tell myself, my wife and my two kids all the time to work hard and have fun whatever you do.

Last edited:

Pretty good money is relative, though, right? And I'm sure it's an amazing job for someone just getting started in a career. I'm sure she's paid well enough to live better than most people her age and get those perks, but I travel a lot for my job as well... hotels and restaurants get old very quickly. Gotta admit I'm jealous of the experiences she's getting now, though.

This was a interesting read. Whatever happened to Mac Dre and his daughter? She should be about the age now of some of these young players turning pro. Anyone know if she is one of them?

This was a interesting read. Whatever happened to Mac Dre and his daughter? She should be about the age now of some of these young players turning pro. Anyone know if she is one of them?

I think she was playing in Mexico, right?
I think she (Mac Dre) was playing in Mexico, right? Club ball? The one that's funny to me is MAP's kid at UCLA, turning pro for 5 minutes and becoming a "social activist" after. Her father was certainly a professional victim. Apple? Meet tree.

Yeah, I get that, but she's a unicorn.
Unicorns used to go to Big U and now they go Pro at 13 or 15. Unicorns are a one in a million-type soccer player. MAPs schooled me big time when my kid was being looked at from Big U as 7th and 8th grader. I appreciated him laying out the truth to me, although it stung my ego hard, and it actually pissed me off reading it, but MAPS was 100% right. He took time out of his day and night to educate me. I do agree with you that college is important (to those who want it and need if for their careers) and soccer can be a great door opener. We should do a "Where are the avatars now?" Maybe even have a reunion of sorts. 133,000 views are not bad.

Back