Turning Pro at 13

THose parents must be insane! Granted I get their point to allow under 18 players to play but why ruin a young player's life by pushing soccer so much. She can make so much more by becoming a doctor, lawyer, or just any other career that can bring happiness to her life. Let her be a kid (too late for that) and let her go to college (still a chance).
I love it :) Let her go pro whenever she wants is my take. Same for basketball players. I'm still SMFH why any stud ball player can't sign at 16. This BS that they have to wait until 18 and also go to college for one year. Oh Please, #lethemgopro. Who needs college when pro is right around the corner? My dd was able to battle the great OM for two years at practice every week and let me tell you Soccer Fan 4 Life, this player loves to play soccer and is very happy when she plays and my dd says she is one of kind and is all in soccer 24/7. It's called freedom of choice. The free choice to be whatever the hell you want to be in life. My dd was approached to go pro as well back when she was 12. Of course I was blushing with dad pride and ego. I heard about dads sending kids to far away places to be a pro in soccer player for the boys ((my dd former All American coach left home at 15 to play in Holland with the flying Dutchman)). However, this new proposal for girls seemed whack if I were to be honest. I thought about her going pro for a few seconds and then it was a big fat, "hell no." I came on here with satire three years ago and so many damn fools thought I was serious about sending my daughter away at 13 to be trained by the "Pros." Ahhhhh, no thank you :)

This move is not in her best interests.

Respect for the player who being working on her game hard and has a lot of potential.

The parents on the other hand have their own agenda, manufactured a image, spendt huge sums on a back yard pitch, travel, personal trainers, silver spoon activities, lawyers, etc.

When you don't achieve things soley based on merit, performance, skills, etc and have parents that called the shots, arranged things, sued to get there way there is always going to be question marks and some resentment.

In such a big rush to be the "youngest" they forget to actually let the girl be a normal teen person, play more and develop but would rather say hey we're too good for this and sue while everyone else continues on and has fun playing, feel sorry for the player. The parents on the other hand not so much.

“The truth is that if Olivia Moultrie was male, she’d already be playing in MLS,” attorney Max Forer said in a statement. “Further, she’s already eligible to play for the US Women’s National Team but can’t officially play in the league that develops and prepares talent for the National Team, that’s unfair.”

How'd that workout for Freddy Adu?
I wish Olivia luck. From what I've seen, she can really play. I don't doubt that she could play in the league right now.
But- How does a 15 year old travel to games? Check in to a hotel? What does she do when her teammates are talking about real adult topics (relationships, money, sex, etc).
And it's not like NWSL players are making NBA money.
National Women’s Soccer League making significant changes to salary cap structure
2020 Salary Cap
The NWSL has increased its salary cap to $650,000, up from $421,500 in 2019. The minimum player salary will rise to $20,000, up from $16,538 in 2019. The maximum salary will rise to $50,000, up from $46,200 in 2019.

I know she has a contract with Nike. I wonder if Nike and/or her agent are pushing this lawsuit to try and make something of the sponsorship money Nike is giving her.

Respect for the player who being working on her game hard and has a lot of potential.

The parents on the other hand have their own agenda, manufactured a image, spendt huge sums on a back yard pitch, travel, personal trainers, silver spoon activities, lawyers, etc.

When you don't achieve things soley based on merit, performance, skills, etc and have parents that called the shots, arranged things, sued to get there way there is always going to be question marks and some resentment.

In such a big rush to be the "youngest" they forget to actually let the girl be a normal teen person, play more and develop but would rather say hey we're too good for this and sue while everyone else continues on and has fun playing, feel sorry for the player. The parents on the other hand not so much.
Exactly. Your summary rings true.

“The truth is that if Olivia Moultrie was male, she’d already be playing in MLS,” attorney Max Forer said in a statement. “Further, she’s already eligible to play for the US Women’s National Team but can’t officially play in the league that develops and prepares talent for the National Team, that’s unfair.”

I wish Olivia luck. From what I've seen, she can really play. I don't doubt that she could play in the league right now.
But- How does a 15 year old travel to games? Check in to a hotel? What does she do when her teammates are talking about real adult topics (relationships, money, sex, etc).
National Women’s Soccer League making significant changes to salary cap structure
2020 Salary Cap
The NWSL has increased its salary cap to $650,000, up from $421,500 in 2019. The minimum player salary will rise to $20,000, up from $16,538 in 2019. The maximum salary will rise to $50,000, up from $46,200 in 2019.

I know she has a contract with Nike. I wonder if Nike and/or her agent are pushing this lawsuit to try and make something of the sponsorship money Nike is giving her.
I don't disagree with you but how is this any different from child actors? Aren't professional athletes really just entertainers? I wouldn't pursue either for my kids but clearly there are lots of people that do and a very lucrative market for it.

I don't disagree with you but how is this any different from child actors? Aren't professional athletes really just entertainers? I wouldn't pursue either for my kids but clearly there are lots of people that do and a very lucrative market for it.
Sports and acting are vastly two different disciplines. That if you lined up the requirements involved you can see the differences. Though a good point made.

2020 Salary Cap

No that's not the truth.

The truth is that the parents signed her up for the thorns knowing that the senior women's league doesn't allow minors to play.

2 years later and their regretting that decision so instead of taking responsibility they are blaming other and suing. Class case of entitlement and manufacturing drama.

Sounds like the elite university admissions system. Lots of people "buying" success for their kids. The club soccer system is riddled with it. When the $10k investment in fees and travel doesn't seem to be cutting it they add additional training, private lessons, resident programs, etc.

No that's not the truth.

The truth is that the parents signed her up for the thorns knowing that the senior women's league doesn't allow minors to play.

2 years later and their regretting that decision so instead of taking responsibility they are blaming other and suing. Class case of entitlement and manufacturing drama.

From what I know, this is exactly the case. She was impressive at the youth level, when her extra aggression and overly practiced scissors/stepover combo was all WHOA. There are many of us who have watched her play on Beach before she "went pro". I watched her play for Beach and was ineffective. She was muscled off the ball, she failed to pass, she got frustrated and acted like Neymar when she didn't get the ball. Beach bought into the hype her Dad created, just like Nike did, just like the Thorns did.

She would not start on most college squads, what makes her Dad she can compete professionally?

From what I know, this is exactly the case. She was impressive at the youth level, when her extra aggression and overly practiced scissors/stepover combo was all WHOA. There are many of us who have watched her play on Beach before she "went pro". I watched her play for Beach and was ineffective. She was muscled off the ball, she failed to pass, she got frustrated and acted like Neymar when she didn't get the ball. Beach bought into the hype her Dad created, just like Nike did, just like the Thorns did.

She would not start on most college squads, what makes her Dad she can compete professionally?

Beach, Nike and Thorns all fooled but not you huh?

I’m so torn.
On one hand I think the rules are in place to help protect these kids from this exact scenario. 18 is a wise age to work up thru the youth ranks and maturity wise be at a spot to work with pros and survive in that environment. So the rules protect kids from their own worst ideas and parents insanity.

but on the other there will be cases like this. This kid is good, and wants the chance to compete. Being allowed to compete for a spot will solve the mystery. She’ll make it or not. She’s good enough or not. Every other country allows kids to join the pro ranks at whatever age and if their good enough they get promoted thru the ranks.
But we see the byproduct of that system with thousands of kids spit out each year. Do we want that in America?

I’ve seen her be magical and I’ve seen her be average. I didn’t agree with their initial decision (could they not see this coming? Geez) and zero people are surprised this is where we are.

they knew when they left LA (with tons of options and opportunities for high level soccer training and much better youth teams than the thorns) what the NWSL rules were. They knew. What did they think would happen?

After my son's college career was over, I found an old DVD that included his high school highlights. We watched some of it at a family gathering.

"How come you never made moves like that when you played in college?"

"Those defenders weren't good enough to make a college team."

OM is good, there shouldn't be a debate there.

Her parents are choosing an inexplicably bad path for her. The lawsuit being successful may have some wider repercussions but it will do nothing to advance her career. When she is 30, she will probably look back on this with an extreme amount of regret.

Child actors usually wind up pretty fucked up too (But they make a ton of money. For themselves and their parents)
We're all learning ((some keep their heads in the sand)) how f up too. Sad stuff coming out coach buck. Buckle up timmy....

If your life affords flexibility and your child wants it, why not provide it if it doesn't harm anyone? Every kid has a unique path. Why not give girls the same options boys have in the MLS? Then let the coaches and individuals/families decide if it's the right path and fit.

OM's parents have sacrificed a lot of time, energy and money into helping her achieve her goals. So long as they are letting her guide her own path, why not?

Professional level Gymnast and ice skaters go down this path too.

How many of us look back on our lives and say ...I regret going for it all? Most of our regrets come from stopping short of it and if we worked hard and failed, we're still darn proud we tried and didn't just find an excuse to stop. I cheer anyone on that has the courage and hardwork to pursue something different and new while opening up more doors for girls.

My children do not want to travel down this path for soccer, but if they did, I would support them as much as I could like OM's parents.

Sounds like the elite university admissions system. Lots of people "buying" success for their kids. The club soccer system is riddled with it. When the $10k investment in fees and travel doesn't seem to be cutting it they add additional training, private lessons, resident programs, etc.
So true. One higher up prick told me that they were in the process of building full time housing camps for girls. I'm like, "who the fuck would send their dd to some full-time soccer camp to.live with adult females?" He told me the men had DA and camps for boys, the girls will have their camps." Again, I said, "That's whack and lame and 99% of.parenrs would never send dd away."

[
If your life affords flexibility and your child wants it, why not provide it if it doesn't harm anyone? Every kid has a unique path. Why not give girls the same options boys have in the MLS? Then let the coaches and individuals/families decide if it's the right path and fit.

OM's parents have sacrificed a lot of time, energy and money into helping her achieve her goals. So long as they are letting her guide her own path, why not?

How many of us look back on our lives and say ...I regret going for it all? Most of our regrets come from stopping short of it and if we worked hard and failed, we're still darn proud we tried and didn't just find an excuse to stop. I cheer anyone on that has the courage and hardwork to pursue something different and new while opening up more doors for girls.

My children do not want to travel down this path for soccer, but if they did, I would support them as much as I could like OM's parents.
I can agree with you in theory. However, this situation does not fit this scenario as simply as you have stated. Previous posts have eluded to the truth of the matter.

Last edited:

Gymnasts and figure skaters have absolute standards to compare against and experienced professionals to judge their abilities. Soccer players only have to be better than the opponents of the moment to stand out. They won't know their full level unless they play against opponents who can test the full range of their ability.

Back