Turning Pro at 13

Actually, you "literally" are losing something...free college and the ability to play college soccer. Yes, players can go to college later but it won't be free. So, in order to come out ahead financially, your deal needs to be worth well more than 4years of college in AFTER tax dollars (subtract 40-50%). That might be the right choice for some who don't plan to go to college. I just think most prudent (and rationale) parents put off that decision until it has to be made...at 17/18 years old. Alex Morgan reportedly earns $3MM/year in endorsement deals from a MULTITUDE of companies, not just Nike. Coke, McDonald's, Nationwide, etc. If her Nike deal is worth $500K annually then other USWNT player Nike deals are likely in the $250-300K range. That means this deal is likely $100-$200K. After tax that's $70-140K. Parents are doing this deal not for the money (they look financially secure in their self-promo videos), but for the added clickbait and PR for their child. Sounds like the kid just wants to play soccer...you go girl. The parents, however, are motivated by other desires.
What about development? How can she get better in an environment where she is the best? It’s the environment they’re after!

Except that she isn't "going pro" in the sense of joining a pro team. Her environment isn't changing. She's still playing in a regular DA (though a couple of years up), exactly the same as if she were amateur. She's turning pro in the sense of getting paid by Nike to endorse their products.
What about training? Access to professionals coaches and athletes? Did anyone see Efraín Álvarez play for the Galaxy the other night?

Hmmm -I'm thinking this is a good move for Nike and I wouldn't be surprised if this girl becomes the face of the new Nike line geared towards the tweens. The athleisure wear industry is huge - I'm sure many here on this forum has spent over $100 on lululemon leggings for their 13 year old- I'm not alone, right, right?!!! Athleta has a line specifically targeted for this age group and while the big names - Nike, Adidas, Under Armour, etc...have gear for this age group, it's not huge...yet. Good for this girl and I hope this gets her closer to achieving her dreams/goals all while putting cash in the bank!!
Bingo!

Actually, you "literally" are losing something...free college and the ability to play college soccer. Yes, players can go to college later but it won't be free. So, in order to come out ahead financially, your deal needs to be worth well more than 4years of college in AFTER tax dollars (subtract 40-50%). That might be the right choice for some who don't plan to go to college. I just think most prudent (and rationale) parents put off that decision until it has to be made...at 17/18 years old. Alex Morgan reportedly earns $3MM/year in endorsement deals from a MULTITUDE of companies, not just Nike. Coke, McDonald's, Nationwide, etc. If her Nike deal is worth $500K annually then other USWNT player Nike deals are likely in the $250-300K range. That means this deal is likely $100-$200K. After tax that's $70-140K. Parents are doing this deal not for the money (they look financially secure in their self-promo videos), but for the added clickbait and PR for their child. Sounds like the kid just wants to play soccer...you go girl. The parents, however, are motivated by other desires.

Under the Coogan Act (California Family Code Sections 6750–53 and California Labor Code Section 1700.37), 15% of her gross earnings are held in a trust account until she is an adult, paid into the account directly by her employer. The rest of the money can go to agents, managers, trainers, expenses, etc, at the direction of her parents.

All reporting I've seen has said that the deal is worth more than college tuition - which is why I see it as a no brainer.
The general rule of thumb for athletes bypassing a college scholarship for a pro contract is that it has to be "life changing money". Heck, even Tiger Woods spent a year at Stanford...

Under the Coogan Act (California Family Code Sections 6750–53 and California Labor Code Section 1700.37), 15% of her gross earnings are held in a trust account until she is an adult, paid into the account directly by her employer. The rest of the money can go to agents, managers, trainers, expenses, etc, at the direction of her parents.

The Coogan Act doesn't apply in Oregon. Oregon doesn't have an equivalent statute.

All reporting I've seen has said that the deal is worth more than college tuition - which is why I see it as a no brainer.

More than what college? There is huge range that could fall under. And is it after taxes and agent fees, etc? For instance, the deal number would need to be north of $500K if she wants to attend USC later in life. If she got that kind of money, good for her.

More than what college? There is huge range that could fall under. And is it after taxes and agent fees, etc? For instance, the deal number would need to be north of $500K if she wants to attend USC later in life. If she got that kind of money, good for her.

She is already "committed" to UNC - for the academics, right?

Daddy and Mommy push the other kids aside and use all their money to push this kid up front. There are many local players way better, however, their parents don’t have all the money to waste on their kids social building! Many talented kids are on the US Soccer radar and make a difference on the field playing at older age levels. This kid lives in the boonies so has a better chance at standing out. Yes, mommy markets her but let’s be realistic... she’ll be 16-17 and wishing she had a normal life. That’s only if her puberty doesn’t hit her so hard that’s she slows down... oh, but mommy will probably make her take birth control pills to control that! Very sad!! So true that money can help you get to a certain level but staying there takes actual talent... ask Michael Jordan’s son!!

She did the deal here.
Doesn't matter once she moves.

Daddy and Mommy push the other kids aside and use all their money to push this kid up front. There are many local players way better, however, their parents don’t have all the money to waste on their kids social building! Many talented kids are on the US Soccer radar and make a difference on the field playing at older age levels. This kid lives in the boonies so has a better chance at standing out. Yes, mommy markets her but let’s be realistic... she’ll be 16-17 and wishing she had a normal life. That’s only if her puberty doesn’t hit her so hard that’s she slows down... oh, but mommy will probably make her take birth control pills to control that! Very sad!! So true that money can help you get to a certain level but staying there takes actual talent... ask Michael Jordan’s son!!

Lulz.

Back