Tournament Point System

etc1217

SILVER ELITE
I just have a gripe….

My DD’s team played an OC tournament this weekend and maybe some of your kids played in it as well. Anyway, when does a losing team get points for losing…EVER??? Since there wasn’t a championship game, the winner was based on points. My DD’s team had the stats (W-D-L) of 3-1-0, total pts of 30 (GF 15 – GA 4) and the team that “won” the championship title had stats of 3-0-1, total pts 31 (GF14 – GA 5) and my DD’s team came in second. The team won because they received their goals point in the game they lost to my DD’s team which they beat them in head-to-head competition (4-2). So how is that fair!!! I have never been to a tournament where a losing team gets any points. You lose you get “0” or at least that is how I was brought up. So now we award kids for losing?? Maybe that’s why this generation feels so "entitled" because basically we give them “wins” even though they don’t deserve it…

Am I wrong to feel this way, if so, then I will jump off my soap box...but then again this is youth soccer and nothing ever makes sense…

Ive actually been to several tournaments in which the losing team still receives points for goals scored. That seems to be more and more common. I dont think its an entitlement thing, or giving them wins for losing. Im guessing that it gives more of a variation of total points per team, so you dont end up with a bunch of ties at the end. In your case, I can see how that sucked. But I think its a fairly common practice.

There seems to be a trend this year away from having "Championship Games" between the top 2 teams.
By doing this, tournaments are guaranteeing all teams are playing 4 games.
And then the team with the most points is deemed the winner.
If using the 10 point system, a team will get 1 point for each goal scored (max of 3) whether they win, lose or draw.
You get 6 points for a win. 3 points for a tie. Then add in the points for goals. And you get 1 point if it's a shutout.

For tournaments that give everyone 4 games, the 10 point system might not be the best to use.
With a 3 point system, you get 3 points for a win, 1 for a tie and 0 for a loss. Then they use tiebreakers if there are equal points. Usually it goes: head-to-head, goal differential, least goals allowed, most goals scored and if it's still a tie they might do PKs or a coin flip.

The 10 point system was designed to try and provide some sort of seperation between teams with the same record. But there's a rare occasion when it backfires a bit.
But- those are the rules and are usually stated on the tournament website.

There is a bit of "tournament math" that goes on. If a team is close, they usually know the various scenarios that need to play out.

I heard a funny comment from a coach when his team was asking about all of the different scenarios. He said "Don't worry about the math. Just win. Math is for losers".

Congrats on the good run at your tournament. Regardless of the trophy, your team should feel great about their success on the field.

You always get points for your goals. Lose 3-1, you get 1 point. Small and big tourneys always the same. Recent Surf Cup prime example.

I just have a gripe….

My DD’s team played an OC tournament this weekend and maybe some of your kids played in it as well. Anyway, when does a losing team get points for losing…EVER??? Since there wasn’t a championship game, the winner was based on points. My DD’s team had the stats (W-D-L) of 3-1-0, total pts of 30 (GF 15 – GA 4) and the team that “won” the championship title had stats of 3-0-1, total pts 31 (GF14 – GA 5) and my DD’s team came in second. The team won because they received their goals point in the game they lost to my DD’s team which they beat them in head-to-head competition (4-2). So how is that fair!!! I have never been to a tournament where a losing team gets any points. You lose you get “0” or at least that is how I was brought up. So now we award kids for losing?? Maybe that’s why this generation feels so "entitled" because basically we give them “wins” even though they don’t deserve it…

Am I wrong to feel this way, if so, then I will jump off my soap box...but then again this is youth soccer and nothing ever makes sense…

I would love to see the standings. Please post a link.

There are different scoring systems (10 point v 3 point) that different tournaments use. First tie-breaker should be head to head if it is a pool where everyone plays each other. The two point systems pretty much evens out due to the tie-breakers that each uses. Could you provide a link or tell us which tournament and flight so we can investigate further?

As for why some tournaments have championship games and some are decided solely on points, it depends on how many teams are accepted into the tournament/flight. There will be different playoff methods depending on number of teams. They are all pretty standard.

Did you coach get sent off or do you have a red card? While the table shows 30, the traditional 10 point scoring for Strikers SB Blk (Salazar) would be:

9 (6 for win plus 3 for goals)
4 (3 for tie plus 1 for shutout)
31 Total

Absent any deductions, you would therefore tie them in points and be awarded the championship for the head to head victory. Maybe the tie was worth only 2 points. If you lost a point due to misconduct, oh well. Also, if your team is interested in maximizing tournament points, once you get your 3 points, you should work to preserve the shutout if you have it. The extra goals in the 4, 5 and 6 goal games didn't help and giving up goals hurt.

The 10 point system is fairly common from what I've seen and is probably used in about 1/2 of the youth tournaments. I like it because it allows teams an opportunity to take something out of a game in a loss and usually avoids ties in the standings. I also like when tournaments round robin the games in groups of 5 or 6 teams.

It's fair to all if the tournament posts their standings points rules in advance and applies them equally to all teams.

Quick check shows it must be this. Wow, I think I'm heading towards stalking status. That or don't really want to work yet.

http://www.t7sports.com:8080/2005/S174648.HTM

Yes, this was the tournament...I just have to say... I haven't been to a tournament where points were given out to the losing team, this is the first but if it is the new trend so be it. I get the math and all that but it sucks to know that my DD's team had the better stats out of the tournament and basically lost. I get the other team has two shut-out but since when does a lose beat out a tie in any standings...oh well,

They did play well beating the teams by 4 or more goals and just had an off game tying their last game which cost them the Championship title. I'll chalk it up to another opportunity to better themselves, overall, it's a new team and they are looking stronger each time they are on the pitch.

How did they get 31? Is there a new point system starting?

They received two points for the goals in the game they lost. That's how they got 31 points...again, that's my frustration...why does anyone team get points for losing a game, it should be "0" but apparently there is a new scoring system where even the losing team gets their goal points as part of the tournament's scoring system.

Didn't anybody learn... Once you get a 3-0 lead you need to throw everyone in your end to defend the shutout. Just don't tell anyone about it so you don't get called a match fixer. ;)

Yes, this was the tournament...I just have to say... I haven't been to a tournament where points were given out to the losing team, this is the first but if it is the new trend so be it. I get the math and all that but it sucks to know that my DD's team had the better stats out of the tournament and basically lost. I get the other team has two shut-out but since when does a lose beat out a tie in any standings...oh well,

They did play well beating the teams by 4 or more goals and just had an off game tying their last game which cost them the Championship title. I'll chalk it up to another opportunity to better themselves, overall, it's a new team and they are looking stronger each time they are on the pitch.

You must be new to soccer, the 10 point scoring system has been around forever and is a very common. Get used to if you plan to continue participating in tournaments. Any summer tournament that you are guaranteed to play 4 games win, lose or draw is a good deal.

Just about every system screws someone at some point that is how they come up with new systems. A DOC feels they were given a raw deal at a tournament and then changes their tournament so that if the same scenario would happen their team would win. And since there is no rule from US Soccer dictating tournament rules the coach and manager should always read the rules before they enter and understand what it takes to win or advance.

Sad part is that my DD's team came back from a 0-2 deficient to win 4-2 against that "Champion" team.

You must be new to soccer, the 10 point scoring system has been around forever and is a very common. Get used to if you plan to continue participating in tournaments. Any summer tournament that you are guaranteed to play 4 games win, lose or draw is a good deal.

Unfortunately, I'm not new to soccer but this is the first time my DD has played a tournament where they give goal points to the losing team...or at least to my recollection...(getting old sucks) and no addition points for a 0-0 tie shutout. Usually it's 4 points for a 0-0 tie shutout but this tournament only gave 3 points.

Again, no regulations on how scoring is done across the board for any of the tournaments so it's a free for all for the DOC's to do what they like.

Back