Top Team Dilution in the So Cal

The same clubs will continue to produce the players for the top colleges and the YNT and boutique clubs will continue to produce the one off player.

Do you really believe that GDA is going to end Surf's stranglehold on San Diego?

Precisely, and all those same clubs, including Surf, now have DA, so DA will now be the top league. Now will those 12 DA teams be as good as the 8 ECNL teams, logic says NO. Concentration of the top talent into 8 teams is better than into 12.

Carlsbad has DA- several were asked to come over to SURF and they did not.
There are two more DA club now and not only it is diminishing the power base it's also eroding the league. Four B team girls at surf (won't name age level) just made a local DA and now are leaving their "ECNL" team.
Some of us don't want to play for a certain coach.
As for as ECNL you would throw up if you saw the coaching lineup for ECNL at 03 and 04 MAP. I am not kidding you.

I believe you. It is sad that things are going to be even more diluted at the top levels.

Precisely, and all those same clubs, including Surf, now have DA, so DA will now be the top league. Now will those 12 DA teams be as good as the 8 ECNL teams, logic says NO. Concentration of the top talent into 8 teams is better than into 12.

I agree. Just more slices of the same pie. Sad for the truly elite players. Good for the middle players. Doesn't matter for the lower level players.

I can certainly appreciate your conviction. Agree to disagree. I can say with 100% conviction that there was at least 1 player NOT ECNL, better than some in the group you are crowning. They just didn't get noticed or the opportunity.(For whatever reason)

If you are talking about Danika Bowman she played ECNL for Arsenal at U14 when they won the inaugural ECNL U14 national championship. If not her then please name names as they are adults now.

I do not disagree that GDA will be the new top level. My point is that ECNL will still be relevant and overall the talent pool will be more diluted and spread out.

I agree. Just more slices of the same pie. Sad for the truly elite players. Good for the middle players. Doesn't matter for the lower level players.

I agree that this is good for the middle players, who will be able to find a home on a DA or ECNL team. I don't know if this is a good or bad thing in general. It gives more girls opportunities, but what do these opportunities mean now that it's so diluted?

I agree that this is good for the middle players, who will be able to find a home on a DA or ECNL team. I don't know if this is a good or bad thing in general. It gives more girls opportunities, but what do these opportunities mean now that it's so diluted?

That is the million dollar questions. I guess that we will see.

IMO if the US really wants to develop the elite players to be the best in the world, they should run their program like the US gymnastics program. Then we can see which soccer parents are truly bat shit crazy vs. just kinda bat shit crazy.

If they were serious they would have a residency program like the boys. Have a set team and cycle in a player or two. The team would get a cohesion that comes from playing with the same group for an extended period of time. But we all know this isn't about developing elite players.

I can certainly appreciate your conviction. Agree to disagree. I can say with 100% conviction that there was at least 1 player NOT ECNL, better than some in the group you are crowning. They just didn't get noticed or the opportunity.(For whatever reason)

You might be talking about Kelsey Aaknes. I wouldn't call her one of the top players in the 2016 class out of SoCal but the Colorado coach's love for tall players for his direct kickball style has worked out to her advantage. The games that I saw her play in were against top competition and she was getting attacked.

If they were serious they would have a residency program like the boys. Have a set team and cycle in a player or two. The team would get a cohesion that comes from playing with the same group for an extended period of time. But we all know this isn't about developing elite players.
"Players in the NWSL that are not allocated by the United States and Canadian federations will make between $7,200 and $39,700 for the six-month season, up from $6,842 to $37,800 in 2015. In 2013, salaries ranged from $6,000 to $30,000." Further, " The U.S. women point to the fact that Tier 1 women's players, who made up the majority of World Cup roster, made a base salary of $72,000 in 2015,". What female player in the US in her right mind would sacrifice her High School years to go to a soccer residency program to have a chance to make $40,000 as an NWSL pro or an allocated tier 1 USWNT player for $72,000 a year with no guarantees when you can go the normal route, go to a top college, get a great education play soccer and then go pro if you do well enough and want to. Most big time Euro Clubs don't have residency programs. The boys residency program has been a joke. What do you think the girls side would be? And yes having watched much more these last few years my tune has definitely changed. We don't have a clue and probably won't for a long time.

"Players in the NWSL that are not allocated by the United States and Canadian federations will make between $7,200 and $39,700 for the six-month season, up from $6,842 to $37,800 in 2015. In 2013, salaries ranged from $6,000 to $30,000." Further, " The U.S. women point to the fact that Tier 1 women's players, who made up the majority of World Cup roster, made a base salary of $72,000 in 2015,". What female player in the US in her right mind would sacrifice her High School years to go to a soccer residency program to have a chance to make $40,000 as an NWSL pro or an allocated tier 1 USWNT player for $72,000 a year with no guarantees when you can go the normal route, go to a top college, get a great education play soccer and then go pro if you do well enough and want to. Most big time Euro Clubs don't have residency programs. The boys residency program has been a joke. What do you think the girls side would be? And yes having watched much more these last few years my tune has definitely changed. We don't have a clue and probably won't for a long time.

There are parents that will be making long drives 4x a week for the DA program. Time better spent on academics, so they can make more than $30k a year playing soccer. I'm sure they would all jump at the chance to has their daughter at a residency program.

There are parents that will be making long drives 4x a week for the DA program. Time better spent on academics, so they can make more than $30k a year playing soccer. I'm sure they would all jump at the chance to has their daughter at a residency program.

Oh wait you must have not heard the latest! Apparently if you are a super special DA player you only have to show up once a week instead of four. That's why some people are able to do this. Some even get the coach to come to them. Uhhhmaazzing

Oh wait you must have not heard the latest! Apparently if you are a super special DA player you only have to show up once a week instead of four. That's why some people are able to do this. Some even get the coach to come to them. Uhhhmaazzing

Sign me up! We have a goal set up in our backyard, so the coach can just come to our house for practice! Would he also be willing to pick her up for games?

Sign me up! We have a goal set up in our backyard, so the coach can just come to our house for practice! Would he also be willing to pick her up for games?

Yes hey can come once a week to DA, they can practice "off site" or get "special privates".
Or you can pay for a private $100.00.
Development doesn't come cheap.
My question is at what point does someone call BS this "methodology" and politely remind the charlatans that this is not the intent of the DA

It's all about development though at a certain club right @chargerfan

DA wi
Yes hey can come once a week to DA, they can practice "off site" or get "special privates".
Or you can pay for a private $100.00.
Development doesn't come cheap.
My question is at what point does someone call BS this "methodology" and politely remind the charlatans that this is not the intent of the DA

There should be better oversight. I think that set up can only lead to real problems on that team.

I honestly cant believe that parents are willing to chase the BS with a 13 year old child chasing this load of crap these clubs are selling is totally insane! All for what? Have these families honestly put any thought into why they are actually doing this?

Back