Time Magazine- How kids sports became a $15 Billion industry

Interesting and informative article, especially the material about the industries that have recently been built around youth sports. I must admit I am very bothered by adolescents promoting themselves at such a young age through social media (twitter, instagram, etc), yet it obviously is supported by parents and accepted, as well as encouraged by our society.
I agree, When adolescents open themselves up on social media they unfortunetly receive unwanted negative comments by idiots. These comments are posted just to hurt the youth. Parents must filter carefully.

Interesting and informative article, especially the material about the industries that have recently been built around youth sports. I must admit I am very bothered by adolescents promoting themselves at such a young age through social media (twitter, instagram, etc), yet it obviously is supported by parents and accepted, as well as encouraged by our society.
This was a good article and also bit depressing to me. Instagram, Snap Chap, and these You Tube media stars have also seemingly increased the pressure to be the BEST at all times. So much for a 10 year old that still has so much growing to do. I wish we can see what happens to these budding super stars--do they maintain a level of success or do they burn out?

And I' am one of those parents who have been sucked in and pay ridiculous amounts of money for extra training. I figure as long as my DD loves doing these extra sessions, I will support it. I do draw the line on the amount I will pay though--I've noticed the last couple of years, the price for privates has gone way up. Use to be $40/hr and maybe $80/hr for a high end coach. Now $100 to $150/hr is not unheard of but I digress....

This was a good article and also bit depressing to me. Instagram, Snap Chap, and these You Tube media stars have also seemingly increased the pressure to be the BEST at all times. So much for a 10 year old that still has so much growing to do. I wish we can see what happens to these budding super stars--do they maintain a level of success or do they burn out?

And I' am one of those parents who have been sucked in and pay ridiculous amounts of money for extra training. I figure as long as my DD loves doing these extra sessions, I will support it. I do draw the line on the amount I will pay though--I've noticed the last couple of years, the price for privates has gone way up. Use to be $40/hr and maybe $80/hr for a high end coach. Now $100 to $150/hr is not unheard of but I digress....
Good question on what happens to them as the pressure builds and they grow. And how much of the popularity they have artificially gained affect them when its gone?
It's okay to provide that extra support as long as your child wants to do it and enjoys it. But you are right the cost continues to build and add up. However, if its for the right reasons its all good.

Some of these are not just supported by parents, but RUN by parents. This is a disturbing trend, in my opinion.

I agree, When adolescents open themselves up on social media they unfortunetly receive unwanted negative comments by idiots. These comments are posted just to hurt the youth. Parents must filter carefully.

There are also coaches and "trainers" that contact them for lessons since they look like easy targets.

Yes, which then changes the reason why kids play sports.

Some of these girls (and their parents) follow the rule #nodaysoff, as if their children are professional athletes. I wonder the psychological and physical impact of this, and if parents find it worth it, especially since 99.9% of them will not make a career out of playing.

Some of these girls (and their parents) follow the rule #nodaysoff, as if their children are professional athletes. I wonder the psychological and physical impact of this, and if parents find it worth it, especially since 99.9% of them will not make a career out of playing.
The impact finds them later when these kids begin to make their own decisions. Some will pursue the game despite not becoming professionals and as you mentioned walk away because it became to much. Even the best youth academies take days off. So when a kid is pushed to an extreme and missing out on the rest of life its an injustice.

Who did TIME put on the cover?

hqdefault.jpg

Melanie Barcenas, 9, practicing in her San Diego backyard, hopes to follow in the footsteps of the superstar Neymar. “He plays just like me,” she says.

Wow. That sentence speaks volumes. "He plays just like me."

Excuse me, didn't Neymar play that way, first?

Retail is in 'panic mode,' says Dick's Sporting Goods CEO
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/15/dic...retail-is-in-panic-mode-as-stocks-tumble.html

Dick's Sporting Goods is declaring a war on prices to defend its market share and protect its private-label brands, the retailer said on Tuesday.

"We are intentionally joining the battle, and we will aggressively be promoting our business to drive market share to our stores and online

Dick's has since launched a "best price guarantee," where it promises customers that if they find a lower price on a product, Dick's will match it.

Back