Thoughts on East County clubs

Discussion in 'San Diego/Presidio' started by seesnake, Nov 29, 2017.

1. seesnake

seesnake Bronze

Ratings:
    +28 / 0
    I enjoyed watching quite a few flight 1 SDDA matches this season. Lots of quality players.

2. GunninGopher

GunninGopher

Ratings:
    +165 / 1
    If only it were true. I really hope this isn't just wishful thinking.

All the people in San Diego I talk to that have kids playing in Coast or SCDSL hate it. There are plenty of opportunities to play top teams in tournaments and other leagues (NPL, CRL), so it is hard for most San Diegan's to accept ruining a whole autumn day driving to a place where most of them hate going.

I have been thinking that if the clubs could just get together along with some Temecula and even OC clubs, identify a few age groups that they feel have 8 or more high achieving/strong teams for an SDDA F1 ("Select" if you must), we could maybe play them out where:
    • 2 SD teams play, it is home field
    • If the matchup crosses county lines they play in Scripps/4S ranch area (SDSC), Del Mar (Sharks) or Carlsbad (Galaxy) home fields,
    • unless both teams are closer to each-other by some practical formula than the alternative home field.
    I know there are a hundred reasons why this might never happen. The thing is that there are enough teams in some age groups to have a flight that is competitive with Coast Gold. Having Surf in the league would help this. I realize that there are field use fees that would have to be shared and a bunch of other excuses. This would definitely help those coaches that have multiple teams. It just takes the all the clubs together agreeing to put the interest of the member families above those of the club. OK, never mind!!

If it ever does happen, I'm sure it won't be before my kid ages out.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Bickrick

Bickrick Bronze

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Where you relocating to? 6 of the Hotspurs 06 players live in La Mesa area. No other flight 2 or better teams in this area right now unfortunately. Also for 2010 girls, Liverpool is about the best option in East county.
    CSC, United, Sporting, Oranje all did not have 2010 girl teams and Hotspurs pulled a team together at the last minute from their rec program.

I have a boy 06 on Hotspurs and a girl 2010 on Liverpool. Let me know if you want more information on either team (common practice fields and times etc).

Check out the results for Coronado tournament this weekend. Hotspurs 06 did good against flight 1 teams today.