Thoughts on DPL

Discussion in 'Girls Development Academy' started by S00CER1, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Kicker4Life

Kicker4Life

Ratings:
    +2,383 / 35
    To add to what @Mystery Train said (which is good advice), choose a good coach. Someone who will work with them both physically and mentally.

• Like Like x 1
  2. mulliganmom

mulliganmom Bronze

Ratings:
    +32 / 0
    @Mystery Train well said. Fostering a love of the game is so important. I also think waiting is underrated. Thank you.

• Like Like x 1
  3. socalkdg

socalkdg Silver

Ratings:
    +897 / 6
    Love of the game is so important. Not sure if my daughter loves soccer more, or the girls that she plays with. Good chance we will keep our whole team when we go from U14 to U15 next year. They do parties together, sleepovers, parents don't gripe or back stab and get along, and the team keeps improving. With almost all the girls starting High School next year, it will be interesting to see who continues to play and who may not. If we club jumped all the time I'm not sure what my daughters outlook would be. She is 13, still growing, just becoming a teenager, so I want her playing where she is happy.

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. El Clasico

El Clasico Silver

Ratings:
    +537 / 19
    Seems kind of obvious doesn't it? However, you wouldn't know it here in SoCal. The herd really thins out at the upper ages for a variety of reasons but the one that I find most sad it the kids that can't cut it because they are all f'ed up in the head and usually because their parents are all f'ed up in the head, having spent so many years at Ulittles chasing the dream from club to club and drinking all that Kool-Aid, that it is no longer about what the kid wants at all by the time they get to the olders.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. futboldad1

futboldad1 Silver

Ratings:
    +500 / 17
    Your kid is a U13 just about to become a U14. The key recruiting age begins at U16 so I'd say you have two more full seasons before I'd make sure she's in a top league. For now, the team (ability and attitude) and the coach (ability and attitude) are the most important factors. But you are right to be looking ahead.

All post referring to it being about a love of the game, her teammates and about the kids NOT the adults are definitely 100% accurate, especially when talking about these kind of ages. Good to see I'm not the one thinking like this - from some parents I know and hear I feared that I was.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Messi>CR7

Messi>CR7 Silver

Ratings:
    +307 / 1
    Find a practice location that's close to home (for us it means <20 minutes since we have choices near where we live), a coach and teammates that SHE likes, and a team playing at her appropriate level (she is not the #1 starter or the #17 bench warmer). If you end up with Pep Guardiola after applying these requirements, awesome :). If that means a DA/ECNL team, why not? If that means a Flight 1 team, it's perfectly fine as well.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. timbuck

timbuck

Ratings:
    +3,078 / 34
    If I was the US Soccer Development Academy - I would put an immediate stop to the DPL or any other version of a DA 2 league.
    If US soccer wants the best players in the academy system and wants everyone to adopt their rules (no high school play, 4 days a week, 10 month season, stop playing silly tournaments, etc) - Then they need to force their member clubs to do this.
    I have recently talked with 2 parents who have kids that are playing "up" on a DPL team. They are doing this so that they can still play high school soccer and get an occasional look by playing on their appropriate age group's DA team as a designated player.
    I'm sure there are several others that are using this loophole. (Not really my problem I guess. And I should probably just mind my own business).

8. Playmaker38

Playmaker38 Bronze

Ratings:
    +31 / 0

The DA2/DPL league is independent of US Soccer/USSDA. It is a Cal South league where players are assigned player cards. In essense it would be the same as any other league, it just so happens the DA clubs got together and decided “hey let’s create a league where we only play each other and control the schedule and the rules.”

So really, the scenario you presented is no different than if each club had their second team in a different league. There is no loophole.

9. MyDaughtersAKeeper

MyDaughtersAKeeper

Ratings:
    +914 / 16
    My kids plays on a DPL team. There are pluses and minuses (disparity of competition being one of the main issues). If US Soccer passes that rule then I believe that you would see an upheaval of players at the clubs. The ability to play HS soccer is one of the main pluses at this time.

I am not sure that several players playing HS will really hurt their progress. And if US Soccer really wanted the best players they would not have the clubs running the DA program. In SD County there are 3 DA clubs. Since my kid is an '05 I will focus on that; are there really 54 '05 girls that are on the radar for US Soccer in San Diego County? One team of truly top talent in San Diego, and you would really have something.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. timbuck

timbuck

Ratings:
    +3,078 / 34
    You are correct. But US Soccer could say "If you want to keep DA status, you won't be able to field any teams in leauges like DPL/DA2/ETC"