Thoughts on clubs (LA Galaxy San Diego, Surf, Albion)

Which club do you recommend?

• Total voters
Depending on the Age Group, Del Mar Sharks ECNL should be considered, only ECNL team in San Diego. For example the '05 Sharks are 3-0 against Southwest DA teams this year, including 2-0 over LAGSD, 1-0 Real SoCal, and 3-1 over OC Surf.

My '05 Rankings:
1) Surf DA
2) Sharks ECNL
3) Surf DPL
4) LAGSD DA
5) Albion DA

I would add a #6, which clubs have the most players recruited to D1 schools.

Why? My kid is being recruited heavily by D1's, but is leaning real hard to committing to a D3. Not everyone wants D1. Some players might think more about their field of study or academic offerings, not just division. I think you should look at which clubs have ALL (or at least 90%) of their players recruited prior to graduation, no matter the division. Different strokes, for different folks. A lot of great schools out there, not just D1. The right fit is most important, not the division. Some D2's and D3's out there playing some very good soccer and some D1's that suck!

Why? My kid is being recruited heavily by D1's, but is leaning real hard to committing to a D3. Not everyone wants D1. Some players might think more about their field of study or academic offerings, not just division. I think you should look at which clubs have ALL (or at least 90%) of their players recruited prior to graduation, no matter the division. Different strokes, for different folks. A lot of great schools out there, not just D1. The right fit is most important, not the division. Some D2's and D3's out there playing some very good soccer and some D1's that suck!

One of the weaknesses of that is that some clubs/players claim soccer recruitment when the admission to the school in question was not based on club or high school soccer at all.

One of the weaknesses of that is that some clubs/players claim soccer recruitment when the admission to the school in question was not based on club or high school soccer at all.

I think you response on "some" is inaccurate. I would say "all". You know as well as I do, it's how all these clubs recruit players. By stretching the truth on why you need to come to their club. Just look at all the D1 recruits!

I know quite of few D1's recruited currently that are getting little to no money for soccer and will probably never see the pitch, but that's their choice to accept. If they're ok to sit the bench and walk on, essentially, then it's cool. But you know the club will still say they got recruited. It's all in the numbers. And we wonder why so many transfers occur in college.

My sr student is finishing college applications. She thought she narrowed down the schools at start of the year, but as she attended workshops and open houses, her choices expanded. Props to those kids who picked their schools 8th-11th grade and never looked back!

Depending on the Age Group, Del Mar Sharks ECNL should be considered, only ECNL team in San Diego. For example the '05 Sharks are 3-0 against Southwest DA teams this year, including 2-0 over LAGSD, 1-0 Real SoCal, and 3-1 over OC Surf.

My '05 Rankings:
1) Surf DA
2) Sharks ECNL
3) Surf DPL
4) LAGSD DA
5) Albion DA

Surf DPL over Sharks ECNL any day (and that's not a knock on Sharks). In fact, I might put money on Surf DPL being better than Surf DA. But that's this year. I'm assuming that team blows up come tryouts though.

Surf DPL over Sharks ECNL any day (and that's not a knock on Sharks). In fact, I might put money on Surf DPL being better than Surf DA. But that's this year. I'm assuming that team blows up come tryouts though.
Are you saying the Surf DA team will blow up or the Surf DPL team will blow up? Either way I think you are incorrect. Where will the DA players go to be on a better team, with better coaching (BW is fantastic)? Where are the DPL players going to go? Albion (DA), LAGSD (DA), or DMCV (ECNL)? I am not going to say that Surf DPL is better than those teams, but I think they can compete day in and day out with all of them. And YSR seems to think they are pretty good too. https://youthsoccerrankings.us/rankings/CAS/14/Girls/
PS Haven't lost a game since Surf Cup and have conceded 1 goal all year in DPL (so far).

Are you saying the Surf DA team will blow up or the Surf DPL team will blow up? Either way I think you are incorrect. Where will the DA players go to be on a better team, with better coaching (BW is fantastic)? Where are the DPL players going to go? Albion (DA), LAGSD (DA), or DMCV (ECNL)? I am not going to say that Surf DPL is better than those teams, but I think they can compete day in and day out with all of them. And YSR seems to think they are pretty good too. https://youthsoccerrankings.us/rankings/CAS/14/Girls/
PS Haven't lost a game since Surf Cup and have conceded 1 goal all year in DPL (so far).

Yeah, sorry - my guess would be the DPL team gets raided, either by other DA squads or Surf's own DA team. Those girls are getting older and college recruiting is now a thing. No way the majority of that DPL team should be wasting their time playing games where they end with a single goal give up all year (versus, I'm assuming, 40+ scored?). If they don't move on to DA or ECNL, they're making a mistake.

Surf DPL vs Sharks ECNL '05 would be a great local San Diego '05 game. Sharks ECNL '05 is 3-0 against DA teams this year (3-1 over Surf OC, 2-0 over LAGSD, 1-0 over Real SoCal). Surf DPL '05 while undefeated in DPL is 2-4 against ECNL teams this year (2-0 Phoenix Rising, 0-3 LAFC Slammers, 0-3 Heat, 0-1 Davis Legacy, 1-2 Pleasanton Rage, 2-1 Arsenal).

Invite from Sharks for a scrimmage was declined by Surf's BW.

Surf DPL vs Sharks ECNL '05 would be a great local San Diego '05 game. Sharks ECNL '05 is 3-0 against DA teams this year (3-1 over Surf OC, 2-0 over LAGSD, 1-0 over Real SoCal). Surf DPL '05 while undefeated in DPL is 2-4 against ECNL teams this year (2-0 Phoenix Rising, 0-3 LAFC Slammers, 0-3 Heat, 0-1 Davis Legacy, 1-2 Pleasanton Rage, 2-1 Arsenal).

Where were the DA games played? At a showcase?

Too bad no ECNL in Nat Cup. Would be fun to see how it all shook out.

Too bad no ECNL in Nat Cup. Would be fun to see how it all shook out.

In the G05 bracket, Arsenal ECNL are playing nat cup. They're not one of the stronger ECNL teams but they're there. Shame Surf DPL didn't enter as they'd be one of the two or three favorites.

How about for the olders? I know all about how the scene changes and its late in the recruiting game... if we could ignore all that for a second and just talk about the non obvious stuff. Where would an 01 benefit most? Say they didn't play a fall season, go back to an ECNL team? Or could they go to a DA team (should they be good enough)? I'm not familiar with the DA rules, could that even be a possibility in the spring or even right now?

How about for the olders? I know all about how the scene changes and its late in the recruiting game... if we could ignore all that for a second and just talk about the non obvious stuff. Where would an 01 benefit most? Say they didn't play a fall season, go back to an ECNL team? Or could they go to a DA team (should they be good enough)? I'm not familiar with the DA rules, could that even be a possibility in the spring or even right now?
Pick the Coach most of all. DA, ECNL, either path provide opportunity. Just depends on the best Coaching/Team chemistry.

If your DD isn’t registered with a team, there shouldn’t be any issue joining in the Spring.

Back