Thoughts for Earth Day

San Diego's EarthFair is in Balboa Park. Transit routes that serve Balboa Park --

3 - bus between Downtown and Hillcrest - southbound on 4th Ave, northbound on 5th (1 or 2 blocks west of Balboa Park)
7 - bus from Downtown via Park Blvd or from La Mesa via El Cajon Blvd
215 - Express Bus from Downtown via Park Blvd or from SDSU via El Cajon Blvd

From South County - take Blue Line trolley to City College
From East County - take Orange Line trolley to City College
From North County inland - take 235 bus to Boulevard Transit Center, then 7 or 215 bus to the park
From North County coastal - take the Coaster to Santa Fe Depot, then Blue or Orange to City College, or 215 bus direct to Balboa Park

From City College, walk 4 blocks north or take a bus to the park

San Diego's EarthFair is in Balboa Park. Transit routes that serve Balboa Park --

3 - bus between Downtown and Hillcrest - southbound on 4th Ave, northbound on 5th (1 or 2 blocks west of Balboa Park)
7 - bus from Downtown via Park Blvd or from La Mesa via El Cajon Blvd
215 - Express Bus from Downtown via Park Blvd or from SDSU via El Cajon Blvd

From South County - take Blue Line trolley to City College
From East County - take Orange Line trolley to City College
From North County inland - take 235 bus to Boulevard Transit Center, then 7 or 215 bus to the park
From North County coastal - take the Coaster to Santa Fe Depot, then Blue or Orange to City College, or 215 bus direct to Balboa Park

From City College, walk 4 blocks north or take a bus to the park

To be clear - today is Earth Day, but San Diego Earth Fair is tomorrow in Balboa Park.
ANd -- Bus Route 7 uses University Ave, not El Cajon Blvd.

Coming south on the 235 bus today, I met some people holding hand-made pro-science posters. "Ah, I said - activists. I'm a passivist myself." They told me I should join them in the March down Broadway - Civic Center to County Center. I told them I was going to Balboa Park for the Earth Fair, and they gave me a funny look. I found out later why - Earth Fair is tomorrow.

So, after finding just empty boots along the Prado (except for the missionaries and henna artists who are there every day), and almost stopping in to what I thought was science rally at the Organ Pavilion, but turned out to be a City award ceremony for volunteers, I got back on the bus. I eventually found the tail end of the March, which had disrupted trolley service for about half an hour because it took that long for the parade to cross the tracks on C Street.

With all the homemade signs and family groups, it had the air of an impromptu gathering, except many had t-shirts and cops were blocking traffic to let them pass.

Things I saw -

Parade down the Prado - puppet theater, elementary school rhythm band, and large group of Hare Krishnas throwing flower petals.

Big group in front of a Vegan booth where they were handing out small cups of vegan tea. (Is there a non-vegan tea?)

Long line at MTS booth to spin a wheel of chance and get a prize, like a ballpoint pen and the like.

Fisheries and Wildlife Service booth showing animal parts and products confiscated by Customs, with sign up front - "Items are not for sale". I asked if the sign was necessary - "People ask".

I signed up for 3 (or 4?) different volunteer groups.

There was a Cannabis Village, displaying or advertising products and services. I watched a cop on duty enjoying a complimentary can of "Completely Legal" cannabis power drink.

Between the Village and a cluster of food trucks/tents were a booth for 911 Truthers and a booth for Chemtrails opponents. They had photos.

Back