THE CHRISTIAN PULISIC BLUEPRINT

Genetics + Drive + Environment (Soccer Culture) = World Class.

In the end it matters very little how much we as parents push them, coach them, take them to privates, etc. It has to come from them. The best thing parents can do is help instill a love of the game and above all else, make it FUN.

Yea, he had a lot of factors helping him, but it sounds like he was driven regardless, which is the most important thing.

Genetics + Drive + Environment (Soccer Culture) = World Class.

In the end it matters very little how much we as parents push them, coach them, take them to privates, etc. It has to come from them. The best thing parents can do is help instill a love of the game and above all else, make it FUN.

But it definitely helps if the parents have connections at academies in Europe to give him the opportunity to go and train. Or start and run a futsal league so he has somewhere to play. Or have the job skills that let the family pick up and move to England for a time. Or the job skills so dad can get hired by Dortmund so the kid can move to their academy. So they may not have been the crazy parent on the sideline screaming at their kid to try harder and dragging them all over against their will, but they were sure were doing everything that they could to give him the opportunity to become a star. And I am pretty sure the kid picked up on everything his parents were doing for him and it probably helped motivate him to keep pushing a little harder.

Yeah.....cheers....return of the #10.....

Blueprint....?? If/when soccer players are cloned?

article-2653202-1EA0698B00000578-565_634x356.jpg

But it definitely helps if the parents have connections at academies in Europe to give him the opportunity to go and train. Or start and run a futsal league so he has somewhere to play. Or have the job skills that let the family pick up and move to England for a time. Or the job skills so dad can get hired by Dortmund so the kid can move to their academy. So they may not have been the crazy parent on the sideline screaming at their kid to try harder and dragging them all over against their will, but they were sure were doing everything that they could to give him the opportunity to become a star. And I am pretty sure the kid picked up on everything his parents were doing for him and it probably helped motivate him to keep pushing a little harder.

Exactly. The idea "we just sat back and let his talent develop" is BS. The kid has to have the talent and drive, but if you live in the US, you can't just sit back and let it happen.

Exactly. The idea "we just sat back and let his talent develop" is BS. The kid has to have the talent and drive, but if you live in the US, you can't just sit back and let it happen.

Your forgetting about the Doritos man! That's the real secret

He clearly had the wind at his back, but he was playing up 2 age groups a lot. Combination of natural talent, drive and an amazing support sphere he lived in.

He stuck with Soccer too, didn't get distracted with Football/baseball/basketball.

I'm guessing we're going to see more of this type of success ahead of us as US soccer evolves.

The one thing I notice people don't want to talk about is the screaming on the sidelines/getting on your kid's ass when the "mess up" in a game or don't give it 100% in practice etc.
We all need to admit that those behaviors don't. help. at. all. The only thing we instill in our kids with that behavior is a sure but steady hatred of the game (whatever sport it may be).
I think you need a mix of carrot and stick. Weak praise or nice try for crap play isn't going to work either.

I've noticed most coaches rarely criticize kids, they just bench them. They don't want to offend a sensitive kid, or piss off a sensitive parent. It's great that feelings weren't hurt, but ignoring mistakes is not going to eliminate them.

Can't make an omelette without breaking some eggs.

In Pulisic's case, it's obvious that in addition to his immense talent he had incredible drive, and a dad that went to incredible lengths to open doors for his very talented and driven son.

But it definitely helps if the parents have connections at academies in Europe to give him the opportunity to go and train.
You no longer need connections in Europe. With the DA coming up on its 10th anniversary and really no return to show for its efforts and investments, agencies have popped up in more than a few places over the past couple of years to facilitate the movement of the gifted players from the US to Europe. If you are wondering if your kid is "gifted" enough for these programs, you would have already been approached if your child is of academy age. In other words, don't call us, we'll call you.

You no longer need connections in Europe. With the DA coming up on its 10th anniversary and really no return to show for its efforts and investments, agencies have popped up in more than a few places over the past couple of years to facilitate the movement of the gifted players from the US to Europe. If you are wondering if your kid is "gifted" enough for these programs, you would have already been approached if your child is of academy age. In other words, don't call us, we'll call you.

What is your point with this comment?

What is your point with this comment?
I would think El Clasico is making 2 points: 1. You're not going to develop to international caliber via the USSDA and 2. Enough people recognize that fact now so if your kid is good enough, an agent or other rep on behalf of a club from outside the US will invite the kid to work with an overseas academy. I would agree with those points, if my interpretation is correct.

I would think El Clasico is making 2 points: 1. You're not going to develop to international caliber via the USSDA and 2. Enough people recognize that fact now so if your kid is good enough, an agent or other rep on behalf of a club from outside the US will invite the kid to work with an overseas academy. I would agree with those points, if my interpretation is correct.

Agreed, I'm "hoping" we're getting better at this soccer star development thing.

...gencies have popped up in more than a few places over the past couple of years to facilitate the movement of the gifted players from the US to Europe....you would have already been approached if your child is of academy age. In other words, don't call us, we'll call you.
Did you notice if the agency's scout checked to see what kind of car the next Pulisic's parents were driving before approaching him?
Money making scheme. That kid will be bunking with three Qataris and maybe another two Australian next Messis.

Did you notice if the agency's scout checked to see what kind of car the next Pulisic's parents were driving before approaching him?
Money making scheme. That kid will be bunking with three Qataris and maybe another two Australian next Messis.
My observation would be that this point is 1/2 true. To go over and work at an academy club without a contract, the parents have to already have dough. It seems to have worked for Pulisic, as well as Lederman at La Masia and a couple of US kids in England and Germany. However, we don't hear about the undoubted tons of parents with dreams for their kids who spend thousands on pay-for-play Europe "academy" experiences as a profitable endeavor for the group putting it together.

We shouldn't even be having this conversation. He and his family and their story are a total anomaly. 100%. The kid has a gift, that's clear, that's great for him his family and for the US in general, but don't even attempt to compare normal families with this. It's unfair.

We shouldn't even be having this conversation. He and his family and their story are a total anomaly. 100%. The kid has a gift, that's clear, that's great for him his family and for the US in general, but don't even attempt to compare normal families with this. It's unfair.

Not sure I agree.

Travel to Europe, parents both been through success and failure 100 times over, understanding of the commitment. It's an anomaly. It's great, but even for us of those who are serious, it's unrealistic. I'm not saying we can't learn from the blueprint, as far as letting the kids have fun, and not worry too much about what they eat when they eat what they do every day 24 /7. But overall this is not normal. 99% of us take the blueprint with a grain of salt.

Back