Thanks AYSO

Curious

BRONZE
This weekend I was taking photos for some friends so went to several of the AYSO All Star games u10-u14, and I loved seeing so many happy kids. Once my children switched to club it was easy to focus on ways we found club better, but this weekend reminded me of how AYSO has given so many young soccer players wonderful experiences. I’m not saying it is perfect, just that it plays an important role in community soccer. I‘d like to acknowledge what a great job they are doing and say thank you to all the volunteers that keep it happening.

I was able to coach my daughter two fall seasons for AYSO (age 10 & 11). A memory that I will always treasure. Region 37 just had their Pony Express tournament going this past weekend. Funny I always remember club coaches approaching parents as they were leaving Extra tryouts. Volunteering as an AR (never brave enough to try center), seeing kids score for the first time ever, kids with the biggest smiles win or lose. Happy times.

Our AYSO experience was great. All- Stars, Extra's all developed my DD for club. She was recruited out of AYSO after an Extra match. It was time to move on. Highly recommend AYSO up to U12. Anything before that you are wasting your money.

I was able to coach my daughter two fall seasons for AYSO (age 10 & 11). A memory that I will always treasure. Region 37 just had their Pony Express tournament going this past weekend. Funny I always remember club coaches approaching parents as they were leaving Extra tryouts. Volunteering as an AR (never brave enough to try center), seeing kids score for the first time ever, kids with the biggest smiles win or lose. Happy times.
Awesome stuff coach. I got one year of service in at Rec, that's one tier up from AYSO if you didn't know that bro....lol! Great times and I will cherish coaching my dd U6 team to last place forever. She hated to lose but we honestly had no chance to win any game. Our team was the last 8 players that signed up at the last minute. She tried so hard. She did shine as bright star among the boys ((this was co-ed rec u6)) and got scouted by the big U7 Arsenal team and she made the jump and then she hoped over U8 altogether and did U9 back to back with Legends South. It made her tough and dirty because she was so small.

2011-07-23 12.54.07.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you to AYSO and my dd coaches Nancy and Jennifer. We never lost and my kid played defense the whole season. She ran down so many and then blocked them at the last minute from going into the net. No gk, just small net and some three point line you can;t cross. It was so much fun. Memories. It does change, she just jumped out of a plane for her 18th bday.

IMG_2037.JPG

Nothing beats the annual AYSO season being put together a couple of days before the season starts , in fairness that probably has a lot to do with keeping registration open as long as possible

props to all the volunteers especially the league and age directors .. A ton of volunteer work for little thanks

My grandfather was one of the original Founders of AYSO in 1964. He was from Milan. Italy. These pics are from 1972. The first picture shows him with Coach Bruno from AC Milan. He is holding the AYSO flier with the slogan "Everyone Plays" which is still the slogan today. The last pic is AC Milan team 1972. I played AYSO as a youth into high school. There was no club soccer. For some reason though my uniforms were red and black every year though no matter which team I was on.

Attachments

• scan0003-1.jpg
    scan0003-1.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 11
  • scan0001-1.jpg
    scan0001-1.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 13
  • scan0002 (1).jpg
    scan0002 (1).jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 12
My grandfather was one of the original Founders of AYSO in 1964. He was from Milan. Italy. These pics are from 1972. The first picture shows him with Coach Bruno from AC Milan. He is holding the AYSO flier with the slogan "Everyone Plays" which is still the slogan today. The last pic is AC Milan team 1972. I played AYSO as a youth into high school. There was no club soccer. For some reason though my uniforms were red and black every year though no matter which team I was on.
AYSO was so fun. Tell Gramps, "Thanks." I loved all the games and had a big decision in HS, Hoops or Soccer. I picked basketball but got to play co-ed with my wife and her sister and Gramps for two years after we got married. I love soccer!!!

I remember reading an article in Sports Illustrated magazine sometime in the 1960s about this new soccer organization in Southern California called AYSO with the "revolutionary" idea that Everyone Plays. Little did I know then that my association with AYSO would begin with my kids in 1979 as a referee volunteer and eventually lead me to become a high school soccer referee too. Many of my HS referee colleagues also started and continue to referee in AYSO. Thanks to AYSO for the referee training.

I remember reading an article in Sports Illustrated magazine sometime in the 1960s about this new soccer organization in Southern California called AYSO with the "revolutionary" idea that Everyone Plays. Little did I know then that my association with AYSO would begin with my kids in 1979 as a referee volunteer and eventually lead me to become a high school soccer referee too. Many of my HS referee colleagues also started and continue to referee in AYSO. Thanks to AYSO for the referee training.
I want to apologize to you and all refs if I got out of hand a few times over the years. I am way better today then when my baby girl was 9, that's for sure. I took the game way too hard and it showed with my anger. It was wrong and I look for a better way to disagree with a call. I just want the girls game called tighter and no hacking anymore. Thanks again for being ref :)

Back