Tackle

NickName

SILVER ELITE
Posting this separate from the "Handball?" thread to keep comments clear.

Again I cut the clip before the call:

Live, at full speed, from the referee's angle, I presume this was a DOGSO. Reasonable call, not hard to sell.

Easyily meets 4-Ds of DOGSO criteria. Since it is outside the Penalty Area, the card MUST be a Red (ejection). LOTG are really clear on this. Had it occurred in the penalty area and the Referee thought the Keeper committed the foul while attempting to play the ball the card would have been a Yellow (caution) and PK awarded.

It looked like the referee reached for his left jersey pocket, so my guess is...... The Referee had no courage and got it wrong and only issued a Yellow Card. If he did issue a Yellow Card it is a clear misapplication of the LOTG and hopefully one of the ARs got his attention and straightened him out.

NickName from your Tackling and Handball threads, it looks like you had an interesting weekend. Was the same Referee Crew involved in both incidents?

NickName from your Tackling and Handball threads, it looks like you had an interesting weekend. Was the same Referee Crew involved in both incidents?
Both the same game in the second half. I actually liked the ref and his communication with the players through the game. “Watch the elbows” “Straight up, straight up” (every header) “no foul, keep playing” etc.
The 2 clips were the only ones I felt were questionable.

I hesitate before posting clips; don’t want to sound like I’m bitching.

I’ve been watching the game for a few years now, reffed a little a while back (when I had to but enjoyed it) and watch the Bundesliga (now that directv dropped Bein sports and La Liga).
I like to get the perspectives on here. Helps me understand the game better. Only got a short time left before mine age out.

Agreed with a DOGSO red being correct here. If it was a yellow, I wonder if he thought the attacker wasn't going to reach the ball before the covering defender. That would potentially throw doubt on on of the 'D's' As we don't know the card color yet, I wonder if the referee carries both cards in a book in his shirt pocket? Maybe he did show the red.

@NickName : would be interesting if you could post the decisions for both of your clips after a bit of time has passed to allow more opinions.

The new rule about playing the ball just make this so much more confusing not only for spectators but for referees as well. Just a short while ago it was a Red for DOGSO. Why can't we just leave all the Laws the way they were?

The new rule about playing the ball just make this so much more confusing not only for spectators but for referees as well. Just a short while ago it was a Red for DOGSO. Why can't we just leave all the Laws the way they were?

The way they were when?

Because it was overly harsh. A send off, a penalty and a suspension for the player as well. The punishment didn't fit the crime.

Because it was overly harsh. A send off, a penalty and a suspension for the player as well. The punishment didn't fit the crime.
The time I saw it applied, it did not seem overly harsh. Tackle from directly behind in the box by the last defender. If she would not have been removed from the game by the refs, she would have been by DD's teammates.

The time I saw it applied, it did not seem overly harsh. Tackle from directly behind in the box by the last defender. If she would not have been removed from the game by the refs, she would have been by DD's teammates.
Definitely. A few quickly come to mind.

Absolutely. Has to still be an attempt to play the ball. If it's not, then the triple jeopardy comes back into effect. Also, any case of serious foul play would still be punished over any DOGSO scenario. But for a simple trip that denies a goal-scoring opportunity, the three punishments are too harsh. Ask any player what they think and they'll say the same....any defender at least.

Once an offensive player has gotten by the defenders and is 1v1 with the keeper, the defenders and goalkeepers need to be VERY careful. Soccer is a low scoring game. An offensive player that has managed to beat all of the defenders should be somewhat of a protected class.

The keeper must either gotten nervous and forgotten where on the pitch he was (is the pitch proper size...the PA looks a little narrow but it might just be the camera angle?), or hasn't received adequate training in 1 v 1 breakaways. The bad technique results in the DOGSO. When the breakaway first occurs, the keeper is near the spot. He should be falling back onto his arc....the bigger danger for the keeper at that point is getting chipped (though in fairness if he were to fall back, most team coaches would be screaming at him for not being aggressive enough and giving too wide of a goal). At a minimum he should have just held and risked the chip. The run should have been timed to meet the striker at the top of the penalty area with a smother.

Then, when he goes down, he goes down feet first. My son spent his first year getting yelled at first this...it's the first thing they teach you on 1 v 1s: don't go down feet first. It's one of the hardest habits to break a rookie keeper of, no matter what the age. Either the keeper got nervous, is inexperienced, or improperly trained.

The only reason I say a red for this incident is because of the way the keeper took the player down. Like, it might not have been a clear-cut goal scoring opportunity due to the defender coming into the play.

If the keeper had made a fair challenge then it would have been a deserved yellow. He came out hard and made an awkward sliding challenge which took the player completely out. The positioning of the referee is crucial here, the referee should be on the left shoulder of the player to see the best angle here. The forward also put the ball past the keeper before the challenge came in.

Definite red card for the challenge.

Red makes sense in the circumstances, despite the last defender somewhat getting back to cover.

The challenge itself is not a red. In real-time or slow-mo, it’s clear that the keeper is only slightly off with his timing and it’s not a malicious challenge and wouldn’t warrant a red by an outfield player.

The keeper was actually correct in choosing to come for the ball IMO and in this kind of situation I ask our keepers to do the same. A split second sooner to react and the keeper would have intercepted/tackled the player. Of course, many coaches (and parents) are horrified at the idea of a keeper leaving their penalty area and so the reaction to this would be to ask the keeper to hold back. No right or wrong answer; every situation has to be judged by the keeper on its merits.

This is an automatic red card for DOGSO outside the penalty area. Some of you are hung up on that defender slightly behind and ten+ yards to the right of the attacker that is chasing the play. He does not meet the criteria for number of defenders since he is not between the attacker and goal or close enough to the side to be within laying distance of the ball or to catch the attacker and stop a shot. The 4Ds are easily met with distance from goal, direction is toward goal, number of defenders (including keeper) between attacker and goal, the attacker had control of the ball(distance to the ball). Once the 4Ds are met the referee must determine if the foul occurred in or out of the Penalty Area. Outside of the PA can only be a Red Card. Inside the PA can be either Red or Yellow card depending on several circumstances.

I hope this helps everyone understand

Examples and explanation from PRO Referee
http://proreferees.com/2017/04/12/play-of-the-week-2017-week-6/

(Three examples with questions)http://proreferees.com/2017/09/13/play-of-the-week-27-dogso-you-decide/
(Answers to the three examples) http://proreferees.com/2017/09/20/play-of-the-week-28-dogso-and-the-importance-of-fitness/

Back