Surprised no one has posted on this

NorCalUSN

SILVER
Apologies if I am wrong, but interesting article just over a week old.

Wrong about what?

yah, it was a nightmare for my kids, but we stuck it out and things worked out. From the YNT perspective, the whole infrastructure was basically eliminated and they are just now putting the pieces back together.

There is a lot of truth in this article, but I’m not buying into the negative narrative that the US is falling. Rather I do believe we’ve set a bar that other countries are motivated to surpass. This type of environment is elevating the global women’s game, an objective I believe anyone with a DD in the game should be very happy about.

Was DA really ever the pipeline? Has it really changed at all with the elimination of DA except girls in any league can now play high school? It was fractured before and still is (ECNL vs DA vs now GA vs play with boys vs do it all). Clubs still trying to sell that your kid needs them/their league specifically to be successful and get to the next level. Money and competition will always help USA stay on top.

Wrong about what?

yah, it was a nightmare for my kids, but we stuck it out and things worked out. From the YNT perspective, the whole infrastructure was basically eliminated and they are just now putting the pieces back together.

There is a lot of truth in this article, but I’m not buying into the negative narrative that the US is falling. Rather I do believe we’ve set a bar that other countries are motivated to surpass. This type of environment is elevating the global women’s game, an objective I believe anyone with a DD in the game should be very happy about.
Wrong about if someone had already posted the story

Good article. Thanks for sharing!

It sounds like ECNL clearly won out on the girls side. I understand GA is strong in some very specific geographic areas but ECNL on the whole seems like the de facto top league in the nation for the girls.

DA pulling the plug - both girls and boys sides - so abruptly was wrong I believe. Leagues, players, parents, clubs could all have used a softer landing...

Parents are putting a lot of money into their girls' soccer experience, but very little of it ends up supporting a unified national program. America is the land of corporate sponsorships, so where is the fully-funded Coca-Cola/Chevrolet/Qualcomm National League and/or National Tournament?

Last edited:

It sounds like ECNL clearly won out on the girls side. I understand GA is strong in some very specific geographic areas but ECNL on the whole seems like the de facto top league in the nation for the girls.

DA pulling the plug - both girls and boys sides - so abruptly was wrong I believe. Leagues, players, parents, clubs could all have used a softer landing...
On the girls side ECNL is top dog, GA second, ECRL third, everything else 4th. You can still play college being 4th. Just stand out on your team, market yourself to college coaches.

For the most part the NWSL and college has taken over as the pipeline for the USWNT.

Great article. It mentions what GDA was trying to do which all of the top europeon countries are doing. They have a system of develpment in place and its made huge gains in such a short time. What it does not mention is that Cindy Parlow despised the GDA and wanted it gone. She also was at the time part of NC Courage an ECNL club. The individuals behind starting the GDA had retired and/or moved to different fields therefore leaving no one to challange her. Another fault is that US Soccer keeps going back to the same pool of players (which stays the same) at all age groups. That needs to change.

Especially during the start of Covid, when the uncertainty of everything was already highly stressful for everyone.

Back