Stop the Madness!!! Tryouts November 12th?

I do find the San Diego big clubs’ practice of new teams being put together before State Cup can create some pretty awkward team dynamics with the old team.

Just out of curiosity I checked the Cal North website, it looks like their youngers play State Cup in December. I wonder why Cal South doesn’t do that? Do we have many more teams?

Yes. The combined divisions (National, President, Governor, and Mayor) are the largest youth soccer tournament in the world.

Personally, I think that tryouts for all CalSouth associated clubs should be held within a specific time period and that teams should not be able to offer a spot to any player not already with the club until after the try out period has concluded.

For example, all CalSouth Clubs can hold tryouts from Jan 1-Feb 28. Beginning Mar 1, Clubs can contact any player they wish to formally offer a roster spot. During this tryout period, potential “targets” will be allowed to train with new teams to see what they think about the coach, players, parents, etc..., but no official offers can be made until after March 1.

I do agree with State and National Cups being held so far past the end of the season as well. Not to mention that it falls right into this Club Soccer Silly season.

Personally, I think that tryouts for all CalSouth associated clubs should be held within a specific time period and that teams should not be able to offer a spot to any player not already with the club until after the try out period has concluded.

For example, all CalSouth Clubs can hold tryouts from Jan 1-Feb 28. Beginning Mar 1, Clubs can contact any player they wish to formally offer a roster spot. During this tryout period, potential “targets” will be allowed to train with new teams to see what they think about the coach, players, parents, etc..., but no official offers can be made until after March 1.

I do agree with State and National Cups being held so far past the end of the season as well. Not to mention that it falls right into this Club Soccer Silly season.

Cal south has good marketing calling a regional tournament something it's not and they don't want to mess with their $cash$ cow since it's a huge source of their revenue.

CS has very few check & balances and they let teams play down in the cups,. Allow players from other mutiple other leagues to be dual or or tripled rostered,. They sanaction leagues who have all different kinds of rules, subbing, very little consistently and there 80's registration system in easiely taken advantage of, copies of birth certs are a joke and you can buy them on this site but they don't seem to care much. some regional commissioners or lawyers will just step in to save face when clubs/team don't follow the rules.

Clubs go along with CS because they can charge more for a 9 month program even though you play just fall and some cups maybe if you pay another $800 plus fees. For the olders yes with high school there should be a break but for the youngers it's a ploy for more $$ IMO.

Usclub and the new leagues like
https://www.upslsoccer.com/youth are going to offer some more alternatives for the older groups, youngers don't see much on the horizon just yet.

I have a tryout related question and just want to get some opinions from folks who might have gone through this particular decision. What's more important?
1-Being on the best team possible (but not over her head) so DD is practicing and playing with like minded kids everyday, or
2-Best coach possible (based on my own judgment) even if it's for an obviously lesser team compared to #1
Age in question is U11 going to U12.

I always believe getting the best coach is most important. But I also see big improvement from kids who play on teams where like minded kids push each other to get better day in and day out regardless who the coach is. Thanks.

I have a tryout related question and just want to get some opinions from folks who might have gone through this particular decision. What's more important?
1-Being on the best team possible (but not over her head) so DD is practicing and playing with like minded kids everyday, or
2-Best coach possible (based on my own judgment) even if it's for an obviously lesser team compared to #1

I always believe getting the best coach is most important. But I also see big improvement from kids who play on teams where like minded kids push each other to get better day in and day out regardless who the coach is. Thanks.

There is no right or wrong answer as it's situation specific.

Having a good coach is hugely important but if your kid is on a team where the other players are not at a similar level (it depends how big the difference is) then they won't be pushed in practice and they need that for sure. If they are on a team with like-minded kids who push each other to improve but the coach is not great, this could impact your kid and affect her enjoyment and passion for the game. I've seen and heard this plenty of times.

You've got to try and find a balance between the two and given the number of clubs/coaches available in most areas, you should be able to find something that works for your daughter. Attending a few practices (even if just to watch) and seeing a game usually helps with gauging what the coach is like and how the team play etc. If you do your homework, look at a few options and be patient, you should have no problem finding the right fit.

I struggle with this all the time and have in the past always picked the better team over coach. However, recent experiences in the DA are causing me to rethink this. We're thinking now that a better coach of a lessor team may be the right choice. At least that's what we're going to try this year.

If you find a team where your daughter is playing hard with and against other talented girls every practice, then that is the place to go. Those teams don't just magically appear. Those teams also have good coaches creating that atmosphere. Good coaches do more than just train; heck, training is the easiest thing a coach does. Good coaches scout and recruit talented players, which has the effect of raising the level of skill and intensity at practices, which makes it easy for your daughter to improve, because she is just doing what all her teammates are doing. In effect, each girl on the team mentors the other, and each girl challenges the other.

To me at this age it is coaching. After 15 it is team. A great coach on a bronze team at 15might be nice but your kid will never be seen at the right events unless the team is good enough to be in those events. College coaches rarely see low level teams.

If you find a team where your daughter is playing hard with and against other talented girls every practice, then that is the place to go. Those teams don't just magically appear. Those teams also have good coaches creating that atmosphere. Good coaches do more than just train; heck, training is the easiest thing a coach does. Good coaches scout and recruit talented players, which has the effect of raising the level of skill and intensity at practices, which makes it easy for your daughter to improve, because she is just doing what all her teammates are doing. In effect, each girl on the team mentors the other, and each girl challenges the other.

This sounds exactly like the Blues Baker 01/02 philosophy. He’s known for recruiting most of his best players sprinkled in with a few that wanted to be on a better team which pushes them to be a better player. Those teams practice/scrimmage against one another which has made those girls very competitive. Like them or hate them. 5 players that I know of have made the National Camp Rosters and you have many National Championships between both teams. Some of the best mentors they’ve had were either former Baker players or their own teammates. It’s obvious that most of the players have one common character trait and that is they strive to be the best and will do whatever they can to get there with CrossFit and extra training on the side. In addition, be willing to get an academic tutor if needed to assist your player with their schoolwork. It’s not the average player that can put up with those Coaching antics!! Not recommending the Blues in any way, just recommend your player find a very competitive group of players that they find are high achievers, both in academics and athletics! There must be a balance that paves a path for success!! Good luck to your player in finding the right fit!!

This might not be the right thread, apologies, dont mean to derail this thread, mods feel free to move.

As an outsider looking in Im very surprised at the short season you guys play. The Sydney (Australia) regular youth season runs for 25 weeks, finals are on top of that and add another 3 weeks to the finalists season. Why is your season so short? Is it to accommodate other, perhaps more established sports? Is it to accommodate the High School season which is more formalised than here? Is football (soccer) the priority sport there?

FYI, the Sydney season finished for most on September 1, and all teams trial on October 14 (pre-trials leading into the official trial day) with training starting generally a week or three later, teams are in 2 night a week training mode now and 3 nights/week from mid January after an xmas/new year break.

Cheers

This might not be the right thread, apologies, dont mean to derail this thread, mods feel free to move.

As an outsider looking in Im very surprised at the short season you guys play. The Sydney (Australia) regular youth season runs for 25 weeks, finals are on top of that and add another 3 weeks to the finalists season. Why is your season so short? Is it to accommodate other, perhaps more established sports? Is it to accommodate the High School season which is more formalised than here? Is football (soccer) the priority sport there?

FYI, the Sydney season finished for most on September 1, and all teams trial on October 14 (pre-trials leading into the official trial day) with training starting generally a week or three later, teams are in 2 night a week training mode now and 3 nights/week from mid January after an xmas/new year break.

Cheers

@GeurieFC,

Here in Southern California, the season for all but the DA clubs basically goes like this:

May/June - Teams are finalized/formed.
July - August - Summer Tournament Season - Teams are playing a 4 to 6 tournaments and figuring things out.
September to Mid-November - League play - Team play about 10 to 12 games in the respective leagues.
Late November to January - Dark, little play, but practices for youngers. Olders (U15+) are playing High School.
Cal South State Cup (Tournament by State Association) - Late January begins for the youngers. Olders are still in HS soccer.
March - Youngers are finishing State Cup, Older begin late March to early April.
May - State Cup finishes
June - Begin again

Soccer basically has 3 seasons: Summer Tournaments (June - Aug), League Play (Sept - November), State Cup (Jan - May) with HS (Nov - Feb) for olders.

Like others have said it depends, there are too many variables for each child for a right or wrong answer. I tend to fall in the camp that the "game is the best teacher" so I lean towards having my son play with the best players. He also thrives developmentally in the high intensity environment where every practice is a battle with your teammates. Now I wouldn't have him play on a great team with a terrible coach, nor would he want to. He would also get frustrated, even if he had a great coach, if he was playing with teammates that weren't up to his level. Everyone has to decide what's best for their child.

Clubs need to stop with this BS, and also the sleazy recruitment calls and parking lot approaches to rostered players during the season. Now, my experience is on the parental side so my guide would be this:

1. Does your DD like their current coach? (are they a good influence...)
2. Has your current coach improved your DD?
3. Is her current coach hardworking with regards to scheduling? (good indicator as to whether they'll make calls come pre-college age)
4. Are the players currently on her team as good or better than her?
5. Has her current team developed over the past year?
6. Does her current team play good soccer? (not bootball to one fast kid)

If the all the answers to the above questions is yes then don't be a club-hopper and stay where you are. Also, send me a PM so I can get my 06 there as teams with a good coach (knowledge and personality) and roster (talented and hardworking) are few and far between.

If one or more of these is a "no," then by all means find a better situation for your daughter when the current season is over (or right now if the coach is abusive). But remember, ask your DD their thoughts....it's their journey not yours and you should merely be a guide for them not something equivalent to a drone pilot.

@GeurieFC,

Here in Southern California, the season for all but the DA clubs basically goes like this:

May/June - Teams are finalized/formed.
July - August - Summer Tournament Season - Teams are playing a 4 to 6 tournaments and figuring things out.
September to Mid-November - League play - Team play about 10 to 12 games in the respective leagues.
Late November to January - Dark, little play, but practices for youngers. Olders (U15+) are playing High School.
Cal South State Cup (Tournament by State Association) - Late January begins for the youngers. Olders are still in HS soccer.
March - Youngers are finishing State Cup, Older begin late March to early April.
May - State Cup finishes
June - Begin again

Soccer basically has 3 seasons: Summer Tournaments (June - Aug), League Play (Sept - November), State Cup (Jan - May) with HS (Nov - Feb) for olders.

He does have a point that our season is awful short in comparison to other countries. And it can't just be the weather in the North that's to blame. High school might be part of the answer. But I've got to think that the answer goes back to the 60s/70s when AYSO was being launched and the basketball season. Summer was impractical with kids away in camp or on vacations. Winter had the problem with weather, plus the youth basketball season. That left spring (against baseball/softball) and fall (against football)...given that soccer started as largely a girl's sport in the US, it would have made sense to have chosen football (where girls don't play) instead of softball (which they do). In SoCal, for example, why does League play wrap up around Thanksgiving instead of going the additional 3 weeks up to the Christmas holidays...at least here the weather is still o.k.?

I think it's more of a society issue. Loyalty is dead now. If anyone has the slightest problem with anything, we change it. Insurance, jobs, phones, cars, partners etc. I fear that these kids are being taught disloyalty.

Kids try out for dozens of teams, yet when they're asked what the issues are with their current teams, they don't say much is wrong. Most things can be fixed through professional conversations between parents and coaches. It's a strange environment that has been created here, teams blowing up left, right and center.

Is your kid happy on the team?
Is the coach a good role model?
Does the coach offer good training?
Is your kid getting enough game time?

If yes then stay. The lure of DA has sadly pushed people to try and leave their team every season and promote their kid up the 'pyramid', when I have seen kids playing Silver making DA over kids in Silver-Elite/Gold levels.

I think it's more of a society issue. Loyalty is dead now. If anyone has the slightest problem with anything, we change it. Insurance, jobs, phones, cars, partners etc. I fear that these kids are being taught disloyalty.

Your asking us to put a shitty youth soccer program above all........come on

Im loyal to my kids and their happiness. PERIOD. Nothing else matters but them. Am I wrong here?

Your asking us to put a shitty youth soccer program above all........come on

Im loyal to my kids and their happiness. PERIOD. Nothing else matters but them. Am I wrong here?

No I understand there are lots of legitimate reasons for families to move clubs. I'm saying that there are kids who have had a successful and happy experience yet are being pushed around to other tryouts because the new team won 1 more game than their current team. Or if there is a small issue that can be solved with a simple conversation with the coach. I don't think it's a positive thing if my child has played for 6 different clubs in 8 years for example. Loyalty is an important thing to teach our kids in my opinion.

This is a great question and something I am just now having to consider myself. Finding the best coach possible has always been my priority and I am now realizing that finding the best team possible, which to me means a team where the players are all at roughly the same level as my son, needs to play a much bigger factor.

Ironically, we are also U11 going to U12. It hasn't really been until now that I am just noticing that while my son loves his current team and all of the players, he is starting to get frustrated. Luckily, you don't necessarily have to sacrifice one for the other and you can find both if you do a little legwork and trust both your and your players instincts about what feels right.

Back