STATE CUP - PRESIDENTS

There are alot of Tier 1 Europa and Champions teams playing Presidents instead of National Cup?
LA Galaxy OC Premier - T1 Europa
Anaheim Surf Vasquez - T1 Europa
LA Galaxy SB Gold - T1 Champions
SoCal Academy - CSL Gold
Murrieta Surf - T1 Europa
Slammers FC SP - T1 Europa
Slammers FC JB - T1 Europa

I thought you had to play National Cup in order to be eligible for Tier 1 in SCDSL

[QUOTE="Penalty Kicks Stink, post: 147934, member: 52"

I thought you had to play National Cup in order to be eligible for Tier 1 in SCDSL[/QUOTE]

Not sure on that one.

There are alot of Tier 1 Europa and Champions teams playing Presidents instead of National Cup?
LA Galaxy OC Premier - T1 Europa
Anaheim Surf Vasquez - T1 Europa
LA Galaxy SB Gold - T1 Champions
SoCal Academy - CSL Gold
Murrieta Surf - T1 Europa
Slammers FC SP - T1 Europa
Slammers FC JB - T1 Europa

I thought you had to play National Cup in order to be eligible for Tier 1 in SCDSL

Looks like as always no one at Cal South bothers taking 2 seconds to match up what the top of level of CSL is for any given age group or gender in any given year and specified a non-existent top level of CSL G04s to play National Cup. All the Premier level 04 Girls teams are supposed to play National Cup. Oh, CSL doesn’t call the top tier for G04# this year Premier? Oops, I did it again...

But how did Westside Breakers Page make it in? Does He have two 04 teams? It looks like they’re SDCSL Champions Tier 1 and at 3-4-3 don’t even meet the petition to play down criteria. Maybe the same person responsible for setting Coast levels has responsibility for reviewing the play down petitions?

And then again why does any of this even generate conversation when someone is likely to roster their ECNL team as Flight 2 and enter them in Presidents.

Looks like as always no one at Cal South bothers taking 2 seconds to match up what the top of level of CSL is for any given age group or gender in any given year and specified a non-existent top level of CSL G04s to play National Cup. All the Premier level 04 Girls teams are supposed to play National Cup. Oh, CSL doesn’t call the top tier for G04# this year Premier? Oops, I did it again...

But how did Westside Breakers Page make it in? Does He have two 04 teams? It looks like they’re SDCSL Champions Tier 1 and at 3-4-3 don’t even meet the petition to play down criteria. Maybe the same person responsible for setting Coast levels has responsibility for reviewing the play down petitions?

And then again why does any of this even generate conversation when someone is likely to roster their ECNL team as Flight 2 and enter them in Presidents.

It appears there is a West Side Breakers White team with Page as the coach that played in Flight 2 this year. And probably could have petitioned to play down to Governors. I'm guessing this is the team that you are seeing in Presidents. http://scdslsoccer.com/_element_dis...281386-87694769/TEAM.html?dummy=1513661064087

The answers to your various questions are all here:
http://www.calsouth.com/es/state-tournaments/

Teams register for their brackets based on the chart. SCDSL Flight 1 Europa = Presidents.

With regard to the National Cup, Teams can only play up if they are on a bubble (i.e. Flight 1 Europa - First Place, wanting to play National Cup). Otherwise, they application will be rejected so a more competitive team can play National Cup. For example, a Bronze or Flight 3 team applying for National Cup would have its application rejected.

NATIONAL CUP DIVISION (Elite Level)
  • Open to all 2006/12U to 2005/13U teams competing at the GOLD, Flight 1 level or equivalent.
  • Open to all 2004/14U to 1999/19U teams competing at the Flight 1, Premier or Academy level or equivalent.

With regard to playing down, the procedure is as follows, but not that certain competition levels are prohibited from playing down.

PETITION-TO-PLAY-DOWN PROCEDURE
  • Teams must register and pay in full for the State Cup Division per above Play Level Guide by the entry deadline and then Petition by email; Youngers Division 2009/9U-2004/14U by November 15, 2017 by 6 pm PT. Olders Division 2003/15U-1999/19U by January 10, 2018 by 6 pm PT.
  • Teams with wins and ties of 20% or less of their league games may petition to play down to the next lower tournament division. Please include this information in your petition: Team Name, Team ID #, the Fall League your team is playing in with the name of Division and 2017 Fall League results. Team petitions must be submitted by email to statecupinfo@calsouth.com or nationalcupinfo@calsouth.com after the league ends or by November 15, 2017 for Youngers Division and January 10, 2018 for Olders Division (whichever comes first) for division petition.
  • Petitions will be reviewed by the State Cup Competition Panel with final approval or denial by the State Tournament Program Coordinator. Teams will be notified no later than 1 week after the due date. Refunds will be issued for withdrawals requested prior to the registration deadline. Teams petitioning and withdrawing after the registration deadline and prior to the bracket draw will receive a refund, minus a $150 administrative fee. Teams withdrawing after the bracket draw receive no refunds.
  • Teams in Gold, Flight 1 Europa in the Presidents Division CAN'T petition to play down.
  • Teams in the Development Player League in National Cup CAN'T petition to play down.

So is the “europa division” really just flight 2A?

For the most part, there are always some teams in Europa that can beat the Champions teams, just like some CSL Gold teams could beat many Premiere teams. Europa is just like the UEFA Europa League ... Tier 2.

It’s a good time to sandbag, it’s always a great thing to be able to market that your team won national cup, even though a) it isn’t a national event, and B) the better teams of ecnl and DA don’t even participate.

Apologies in advance for the newbie question, but can someone please explain the bracketing to me? Are letters and numbers significant?
Thanks!

Apologies in advance for the newbie question, but can someone please explain the bracketing to me? Are letters and numbers significant?
Thanks!

The letter just signifies the bracket you are in (i.e. A, B, C, etc.) and they are comprised of either 3 or 4 teams, hence the number by the letter. Not sure how their seeding system worked, but it is probably safe to assume the 1's were seeded ahead of the 2's and so on.

The letter just signifies the bracket you are in (i.e. A, B, C, etc.) and they are comprised of either 3 or 4 teams, hence the number by the letter. Not sure how their seeding system worked, but it is probably safe to assume the 1's were seeded ahead of the 2's and so on.
Thank you Justafan. I guess I was trying to ask if the lettering/numbering system had anything to do with seeding. Thanks again for the reply.

As per the Presidents Division State Cup rules for 2006/11U and up, only the top 16 teams from the previous year are seeded. The rest are placed in brackets via blind draw. If there are less than 16 brackets then some additional bracket placement criteria come into play. See Rule 5.6.3.1 at http://media.calsouth.com/data/Downloads/State_Tournaments/2018/2018CSStateCupR19V2121017LP.pdf

Annnnnd, I'm back. Thank you twoclubpapa. I think I can infer the answer, but even reading the rules I can't tell. The seeded teams would be those in top 16 in their divisions so if you move divisions this year, even if you were top 16 (or champ even) in the other division, you are placed into brackets via blind draw? I do appreciate you all answering my newbie questions. We've actually been doing this a long time, but just went with the flow, not knowing what we didn't know :)

Back