Spot secured for the final.... Now what?

Hello all,

I have a question that I am sure some of you have run into.

We are in a tournament and have already locked up a spot in the final. However, our opponent for tomorrow's morning game has done the same. We are scheduled to play the same team twice.

How has other teams handled this? Coach mentioned the idea of forfeiting since both teams will likely be instructed to not play hard and save it for the final. So you could have 2 teams playing at 75% which seems like a bad idea.

Any feedback or thoughts on this?

Hello all,

I have a question that I am sure some of you have run into.

We are in a tournament and have already locked up a spot in the final. However, our opponent for tomorrow's morning game has done the same. We are scheduled to play the same team twice.

How has other teams handled this? Coach mentioned the idea of forfeiting since both teams will likely be instructed to not play hard and save it for the final. So you could have 2 teams playing at 75% which seems like a bad idea.

Any feedback or thoughts on this?

Check the tournament rules on forfeits.

Don't get any red cards.

We had this happen many years ago and both coaches had a conversation before the semis and agreed that the winner of that game would
Also be the winners of the final. It made sense not to wait 5 hours to play the same team again in the finals, but kind of depends on the age, the team the coach - and whether they might want a do over. It worked for both coaches and teams in this situation, so it was an option per tournament rules.

What do both teams want?
As was said, play once and call it the title game.
Or are you looking to get you value in games for your tourney fees?
Play players out of position for the lame duck game and then get it on in final. We did this once years ago. Our keeper played striker and so on.

Play them twice. First game play kids on the bench, plus try some kids at other positions. Play more possession than direct, try something different. Pretty sure we all want player development.

I see two presumptions there - one that "possession" is "something different"; the other that something called possession may be "player development".

Did you come to play soccer or to win a trophy?
Treat it like any other game. Play your style of play. Play to win.
But maybe sub very, very frequently to save some gas in the tank for later.

It actually happens quite a bit if a tournament only have 1 bracket of 4 teams. Both teams who about to play one another can agree to play only 1 game or get an extra game. It all depends how many players on the team and how much a coach spreading playing time between players. It also depends on age group. It's not a bad scenario.
It's a lot worst when you have to play a team who lost both games before and decides not to show up for the last game.

Back