Southwest Changes?

As a socal team parent id love and so would the team have more chances to play against the lovely soccer MVLA plays.
Can we get rid of AZ teams - they should be playing Texas teams. No need to fly there anymore - move the showcase too. AZ is getting old for the few teams they have.
The AZ showcases are the only ones guaranteed to be played...New Jersey, North Carolina, and Tennessee have all been affected by the weather during my daughter's tenure from SoCal. Poor weather keeps the scouts away. lol

Getting first dibs at Stanford?
One went to school to focus only on school, the other plays in the Netherlands and skipped college
They were not at MVLA long enough for MVLA to be credited for anything.
But, my point is I would have had one kid who was all in about playing in SoCal. The other wouldn't have been interested.
So, if it's a real possibility they move conferences, there is no guarantee everyone is interested in the move.

Rumor I'm hearing is that ECNL Southwest is going away from the split divisions next season. No more Sonoran and Mojave. Each team in the SW will play each other once, instead of the current model of playing each team in your division twice, and the other other division once. It will be a good change as the Sonoran Division has a lot of strong clubs and one weaker club; the Mohave has a few strong clubs and a lot of weaker clubs. It creates an easier path for PPG in the Mojave division. The change will be welcome, and I am sure we will see a much different fight for playoffs/ranking next season.

Rumor I'm hearing is that ECNL Southwest is going away from the split divisions next season. No more Sonoran and Mojave. Each team in the SW will play each other once, instead of the current model of playing each team in your division twice, and the other other division once. It will be a good change as the Sonoran Division has a lot of strong clubs and one weaker club; the Mohave has a few strong clubs and a lot of weaker clubs. It creates an easier path for PPG in the Mojave division. The change will be welcome, and I am sure we will see a much different fight for playoffs/ranking next season.
More variety is good.

Personally I think it would make more sense to have A and B Southwest leagues.

The downside of a single league is there will only be 3-4 top clubs going to events/finals. Unless ECNL expanded the number of teams going to events and took the top 6 because southwest would be a larger league.

Pointing the hard facts. ECNL could also address by moving teams down to ECRL or create an AZ/NV league with just the lower Socal Clubs participating.

This is how the boys ECNL does it. You play each team home and away. There are no Arizona teams in the southwest, just SoCal and Heat. I heard this is the format the girls will adopt next year. I hope this is the case, there would be only one trip outside Socal for league.

Taking a look at records, it's not just the 10s and 09s. MVLA has been winning about 89% of league games. 79-4-6 overall

I can see why Sonoran looks tempting.

More variety is good.

The downside of a single league is there will only be 3-4 top clubs going to events/finals. Unless ECNL expanded the number of teams going to events and took the top 6 because southwest would be a larger league.

Pointing the hard facts. ECNL could also address by moving teams down to ECRL or create an AZ/NV league with just the lower Socal Clubs participating.
ECNL Southwest gets "6" teams into the playoffs now. "3" from each league (Sonoran/Mojave). I'd expect the # of teams that would qualify would stay the same.
U19 currently gets "3" spots. Both divisions winners & one wildcard based on PPG.

More variety is good.

I agree with a lot this. Drop NV and AZ. That means the SW goes from 17 teams to 13. Now add the 10 NorCal teams and the league is 23. Competition will be better. Obviously travel with alternate each year. As you said take the top 6 teams for playoffs.

Taking a look at records, it's not just the 10s and 09s. MVLA has been winning about 89% of league games. 79-4-6 overall

I can see why Sonoran looks tempting.

Here's what all ages look like in SR:

mvla girls.png

2009G & 2010G can be expected to be a superior team no matter who they face nationwide. The other years are good - but aren't showing at that level yet.

I agree with a lot this. Drop NV and AZ. That means the SW goes from 17 teams to 13. Now add the 10 NorCal teams and the league is 23. Competition will be better. Obviously travel with alternate each year. As you said take the top 6 teams for playoffs.

That's a wicked tough conference. It would include five of the top 10 clubs nationally.

While we're at it, can we think of an excuse to include Dallas?

More variety is good.

True. I really hope they do not just take the top 4 from the group, that would be a big snub to the 5-6 team; the top 8 from southwest would honestly give any team a heck of a challenge.

True. I really hope they do not just take the top 4 from the group, that would be a big snub to the 5-6 team; the top 8 from southwest would honestly give any team a heck of a challenge.
If you really wanted to blow people's minds ECNL should do an invite only one weekend tournament with just the top 25 clubs in the nation defined by the rankings app.

How did you hear this?

Back